Singapore Expats

Cote d'Azure - Security Guard

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 6:00 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Forks wrote:Im not taking sides in this but i do think Curry has a point, new or casual posters can get some rough treatment (from myself as well I suppose now that I think about it) while some regulars do often feel that (and im not naming names) they might register an opinion on anybody or anything with less consideration for the fact that the person is a noob.

Yes there are lots of nice people who give advice and help out here but more than one poster who is not a hard core regular has been sent packing, ok some of them did shoot their mouths off but then were told/asked/suggested to get out or to stop being childish or being given the verbal cold shoulder.

Granted it does seem to mostly be in the strictly speaking thread so maybe those who cant stand the heat... but ...

Case in point was the DJ guy who posted a while back, he started simply enough and with no real pretension but somehow he ended up getting ticked off (ok temper control for him as well) and leaving, or that poster called Chick on the economic thread about taxes, hell I even told Icyblue to put up or shut up so im not innocent (something about rocks and renting a glass house?).

I dont mind getting into a bit of biffo on a forum, and I think most of the regulars here do, some verbal swordplay keeps our wits sharp but we may forget that some dont wish to duel it or want a barrage of "this is my experience and I know better since I have been here longer" kind of lie which can stain some threads, they just want a simple answer to a simple question or some such.

These of course are my own opinions based on what i have seen on this forum, I read a lot more than i post, and I do think the phrase regarding the "more one talks the less one hears" may apply here, just substitute "type" for talk. But I may be wrong and I dont expect a chorus of agreement thats what i do like about this forum, you will get honest opinions and feedback its just that this is a public place (of sorts) and we should not act like we own this forum/thread by simple virtue that we have been here longer coz then we become the only/lonely inhabitants of those threads and i have seen the (im bored lets start a thread for fun thread) and have the regs eagerly jump on it because there is little else to post on/talk about, we like any community need new blood and need to encourage newer members to keep things fresh.

I will now climb down of my soapbox and vacate the unstable moral high ground to another :D
Well said Forks. The fact remains, a forum is a flawed platform for expressing opinions. I think 90% of misunderstandings are caused by hastily written or read posts, the reader's interpretation of the word on the screen and assigning a 'tone' that may or may not be there at all.
Thanks and Id agree with that, if Im angry when posting I usually go back through t and edit out the worst bits as once up its there for good and you cant take it back. I have found a mix of bitter sarcasm, wit (not that i have much) and humor work well rather than outright anger.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 6:55 pm

Forks and RoadNot taken, well put, I agree too!

I think if a few of us were sitting together sharing a few beers, everyone would probably be enjoying themselves rather than miscommunicating.

On forums, it's absolutely true, we cannot judge tone, which is very important. Emoticons can sometimes help but are still inadequate.

I do use strong words and swear a lot. Mainly due to growing up in such an environment where they have no meaning anymore due to overuse. I should learn to curb that in situations where it could me misconstrued.

I do not like the use of colour in an argument. I grew taking a lot of racist flak and I over compensate by hounding anyone who uses it. I don't think it's funny or witty.

I was probably wrong about it being racist, but on the other hand it wasn't clever humour. Hopefully that person won't be so silly in future.

I also think it's petty to goad people (Plavt look that one up :wink: ) as it is deconstructive and only detracts from the discussion.

SMS - I'm glad you had a good National Day. I hope you do find your passion for diving again. I hear from a good friend of mine that it's a very fulfilling pastime. I have never done it, but I want to do the basics fairly soon as I want to do a diving trip for my 40th - which aint so far away.

If you can recommend the best place to do the basics course, do let me know.

Happy National day/weekend to everyone on SE!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 7:00 pm

Currymeister, that was your best post to date, I believe.
Currymeister wrote:I was probably wrong about it being racist, but on the other hand it wasn't clever humour.
Nice olive branch. Takes a big man. :)
Currymeister wrote:Hopefully that person won't be so silly in future.
No chance, so just enjoy the silliness! Life is short... :lol:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 7:27 pm

Currymeister wrote: I also think it's petty to goad people (Plavt look that one up :wink: ) as it is deconstructive and only detracts from the discussion.
I wasn't goading anybody, merely responding to your posts which were what detracted from the discussion in the first place and I don't appreciate your sarcasm!

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 7:33 pm

I wasn't actually accusing you of goading Plavt :lol:

The joke went over your head. :roll:

ps. I guess a lot of us don't appreciate the sarcasm, but that's life and what a few on here have taught me to accept. So live with it. :cool:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 7:35 pm

road.not.taken wrote: Well said Forks. The fact remains, a forum is a flawed platform for expressing opinions. I think 90% of misunderstandings are caused by hastily written or read posts, the reader's interpretation of the word on the screen and assigning a 'tone' that may or may not be there at all.
I would have to agree with that a good many people here would seem or actually be very different when met in person. I do think different cultures and in part language plays a part. I don't always recognize some of the humour that appears but some things are seemingly incomprehensible to another culture.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 7:36 pm

Currymeister wrote:I wasn't actually accusing you of goading Plavt :lol:

The joke went over your head. :roll:

ps. I guess a lot of us don't appreciate the sarcasm, but that's life and what a few on here have taught me to accept. So live with it. :cool:
OK, my apologies I didn't realize it was a joke but perhaps that's an example of my previous post.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 7:45 pm

Possibily, but the joke was obvious.

I was referring to your ability to misunderstand meanings (example: thick skinned). So when I used the word 'goad' I suggested you look it up.

I found it funny, but I can understand why you wouldn't. :wink:

Anyway, I think we have deviated so far from the security guard at Cote D'Azure that we're probably a little off-tropic. :lol: (Now that was a bad joke)

I shall see you on another thread perhaps?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 8:11 pm

Wow! Our very own Kumbayah moment :wink:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 8:29 pm

Currymeister wrote:Possibily, but the joke was obvious.

I was referring to your ability to misunderstand meanings (example: thick skinned). So when I used the word 'goad' I suggested you look it up.
I know what thick-skinned means now give it a rest will you?

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 8:36 pm

since the thread has gone completely off course and ventured into people who have come and been given a hard time - i'm curious what happened to the guy who's bosses wife was "going to have a word with the minister" :roll:

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 8:38 pm

OOPS! i meant "wife's boss" - but then i thought that was pretty funny so didn't edit it out. perhaps the boss's wife had a word too :lol:

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:40 pm

Plavt wrote:
Currymeister wrote:Possibily, but the joke was obvious.

I know what thick-skinned means now give it a rest will you?
Smile you're on candid camera.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:43 pm

By the way Plavt, what is the coat of arms that use use as your avatar?

Serious question, no hidden gags I promise.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:03 am

Currymeister wrote: Smile you're on candid camera.