Singapore Expats Forum

Cleaning Brass Ornaments - Req. Suggestions

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Cleaning Brass Ornaments - Req. Suggestions

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 02 Aug 2008 3:07 pm

Hey friends! A seemingly dumb question, but we bought a brass dancing "shiva" ornament when we were in India. It has some quite intricate patterns. Given the humidity in our lovely new home, she's getting a bit stained.

I'm loathe (not inclined) to use Brasso or something similar as I'm concerned the fluid will dry up in the delicate patterning (the holes in the patterns are really minute - think the size of a pencil lead).

Therefore, I'm looking for something like a special cloth embedded with some kind of super-duper brass cleaning agent, or maybe a spray on/wash off kind of thing.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Cheers, and thanks in advance, P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Cleaning Brass Ornaments - Req. Suggestions

Postby ksl » Sat, 02 Aug 2008 3:18 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Hey friends! A seemingly dumb question, but we bought a brass dancing "shiva" ornament when we were in India. It has some quite intricate patterns. Given the humidity in our lovely new home, she's getting a bit stained.

I'm loathe (not inclined) to use Brasso or something similar as I'm concerned the fluid will dry up in the delicate patterning (the holes in the patterns are really minute - think the size of a pencil lead).

Therefore, I'm looking for something like a special cloth embedded with some kind of super-duper brass cleaning agent, or maybe a spray on/wash off kind of thing.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Cheers, and thanks in advance, P

I would use Brasso first

Then a strong citric acid base washing up liquid, undiluted and a soft toothbrush, to get at the white deposits, after it's clean and spotless...get a good clear laquer to spray on, to preserve the shine and protect it from the elements.
There are several methods on here http://www.askthebuilder.com/B172_Clean ... ucts.shtml

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 02 Aug 2008 3:53 pm

Hey thanks KSL - you're a champ as always!

Cheers from the Husmaid!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 02 Aug 2008 6:59 pm

autosol.

ksl, vineger no good?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:42 am

durain wrote:autosol.

ksl, vineger no good?

Autosol is a big disappointment on brass, if i remember correctly, I have always had it around in my tool box, it's good for silver and chrome, but poor on brass.

It probably is good enough too, because of the mild acid, although I would rather drink it. To take away scratches on brass, you put the Brasso and cardboard and rub the brass vigorously on the wet cardboard until gone, its hard elbow greece, from my military days, I also cheated and sprayed them with clear staybright laq. :oops:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:19 am

Wife uses this special cleaning cloth for her saxophone. It has some chemicals already soaked in it and designed so it doesn't bung up all the little bits and bobs on the instrument. Go to any music shop they are bound to sell it.

Heres a uk website so you get an idea.

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acata ... loths.html

or just let it tarnish, If you ask me, they look a lot better in a more rustic state. (doesnt look it was just bought yesterday)

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:51 pm

Hiya QRM - yeh we agree, but the humidity has really hit this piece, and given we lugged it overland from Varanasi to New Delhi we are kind of attached to her! I'm sure after a clean, then a week, she'll dull-up a bit!

At the moment she's looking like a person of negro descent!

Cheers all, P