Singapore Expats Forum

Channel 5 Sports

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Cubby

Channel 5 Sports

Postby Cubby » Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:21 pm

It appears that Channel 5 will be showing the Olympics live, anyone know if they will show the F1 live when it comes to town? :roll:

andy21
Regular
Regular

Postby andy21 » Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:30 pm

I'm sure they will, it's a national pride kind of thing.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 01 Aug 2008 2:36 pm

They have to, i believe it's in the rules of F1 TV coverage that a "local" channel must show it live, in every country it visits. StarESPN is not a specifically a local channel.

Also, since F1 don't have their own cameras and set-up they always have to rely on a local broadcaster to provide this on their behalf, and they are paid for the service accordingly. F1 TV then is just the director of the pictures and graphics. Again StarESPN falls down on this basis because they rarely even have a commentator on site let alone get involved with putting on the show.

Ask yourself where "Race Central" is during the StarESPN coverage.

I'm also quite pissed they always go to commercial half way through the Q1 on Saturdays. I mean, its only 20-min!! We watch the footie and rugby uninterupted for a whole 40-50min so i don't see why they have to go for a break 8-min into Q1...... obviously i know the reason and money rules the roost (more so given the lack of effort StarESPN put into the coverage) when having to cover the expense of buying TV rights. They eek out every single dollar from the sponsors.

<Rant> :wink:

Cubby

Postby Cubby » Fri, 01 Aug 2008 4:41 pm

I have watched F1 on several channels around the world they all look the same, ie it looks like the feed comes from F1 itself-same title markers, team radio etc. Some channels are a lot worse than espn/star,-watched the german gp the other week in Russia,- they break for ads during the race for about 5mins at a time,- very frustrating as you miss a lot of action-but not as frustrating as trying to understand the Russian commentator! I asume that the local tv channel in each country where the race is held gets the contract to broadcast and do the camera work but under an f1 race director who descides what action to focus on.-just hope that they put it on the local channel too cause I wont be at home to watch it on cable!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 01 Aug 2008 6:25 pm

Cubby wrote:I asume that the local tv channel in each country where the race is held gets the contract to broadcast and do the camera work but under an f1 race director who descides what action to focus on.-just hope that they put it on the local channel too cause I wont be at home to watch it on cable!

I know i wrote a bit more than you expected probably but you could have at least read it a little closer :roll:

Cubby

Postby Cubby » Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:29 pm

oops yea I did,- sorry missed the "d" should have been "assumed", sorry english only my first language :lol: