Singapore Expats

Vehicles With Diplomatic Plates

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Vehicles With Diplomatic Plates

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 1:45 pm

I've seen a couple of cars for sale that are currently registered as diplomatic vehicles. The price is way cheap. So, if I were to buy one of these cars, what would be the process and fees? Do I have to pay ARF? COE? Help appreciated.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Vehicles With Diplomatic Plates

Post by ksl » Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:56 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I've seen a couple of cars for sale that are currently registered as diplomatic vehicles. The price is way cheap. So, if I were to buy one of these cars, what would be the process and fees? Do I have to pay ARF? COE? Help appreciated.
I don't believe they are available to civilians, only diplomats and servicemen. Although i found a loop hole in the late 70's in Europe, so there maybe a loop hole here too.

That's how I first got into importing and exporting of cars in Europe. The loop hole to qualify in Europe was, the vehicle had to be purchased and driven in the foreign Country to be exempt duty, duty was only payable if the car was sold within a 3 year period. This allowed diplomats and servicemen to buy cheap. But not civilians.

So I had my solicitor draw up a power of attorney to represent clients in UK, then I advertised, they paid a deposit and the cars where put on order, with full payment on arrival. I just included a free long weekend trip in the price, to the customer, to pick up his vehicle, to fulfil the custom requirements. It was duty free providing they didn't sell the vehicle within 3 years. but the owner had to drive the vehicle on foreign soil.

The main importance was put on the type approval numbers, for reregistration, many dealers would not supply it. I eventually worked direct with the manufacturer, and they gave me a 5% discount too. The dealers became very upset.

It soon caught on and the next thing even dealers where doing it on the side.

I guess more research is needed in Singapore, for any loop holes, although i have looked into exporting from here, to UK, but its not really worth it.

Japan is better for used cars that go through Ireland, then to the UK.

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Sat, 02 Aug 2008 8:20 pm

If there are any loopholes, I think the Singapore Govt. would have closed it. All you need is your neighbour to complain to some authority that you are driving a car with a diplomatic plate.

evaristonunes

Re: Vehicles With Diplomatic Plates

Post by evaristonunes » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 11:19 pm

Where can I see such diplomatic vehicles on sale?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Vehicles With Diplomatic Plates

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 11:49 pm

evaristonunes wrote:Where can I see such diplomatic vehicles on sale?
Wonder why ?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: RE: Re: Vehicles With Diplomatic Plates

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Feb 2017 6:48 am

ecureilx wrote:
evaristonunes wrote:Where can I see such diplomatic vehicles on sale?
Wonder why ?
They tend not to be sold IME but passed from officer to officer and then scrapped / exported at end of life or exported when an officer can take it home at the end of his tour. It's not a readily accessible market for the publci.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!