Singapore Expats Forum

Any Americans out there?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
theperfectcup

Any Americans out there?

Postby theperfectcup » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 7:54 am

Hello all! I'm a 23 year old American female who just started NUS and I am looking to meet other Americans who want to hang out, enjoy the nightlife, travel around and just grab a cup of coffee.

Clickclick

Re: Any Americans out there?

Postby Clickclick » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 8:56 am

theperfectcup wrote:Hello all! I'm a 23 year old American female who just started NUS and I am looking to meet other Americans who want to hang out, enjoy the nightlife, travel around and just grab a cup of coffee.

Its one thing to call out for expats to be your friends, but other Americans? Are you not being a little bit restrictive there? Why bother coming here if you only want to hang with other yanks?

:roll:
A schedule defends from chaos and whim.

singaporexpat

Postby singaporexpat » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:13 am

I like meeting people from all countries and ethnicities, expats and locals alike, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to hang out with a fellow American. I am 22 and just moved to Singapore a month ago from Los Angeles, CA. I don't think I have pm capabilities yet, so email me at mrw32@georgetown.edu if you want to hang out some time.

Nixxy
Regular
Regular

Postby Nixxy » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:32 pm

theperfectcup wrote:Hello all! I'm a 23 year old American female who just started NUS and I am looking to meet other Americans who want to hang out, enjoy the nightlife, travel around and just grab a cup of coffee.

How about a 23 year old British female who just started NUS? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:44 pm

Clickclick wrote:

Its one thing to call out for expats to be your friends, but other Americans? Are you not being a little bit restrictive there? Why bother coming here if you only want to hang with other yanks?

:roll:

I think it's called preference isn't it? You seem to be a real piece of work. Do you understand American Humor or Culture anything else other than what you see on MTV?

There is an old saying that birds of a feather........

Yeah it's nice to mix at times but often times some people want some friends who won't take exception to everything that's said because they don't know how to react to our language nuances just like the problems here.......

Go crawl back under your rock......

emishi

Postby emishi » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 8:33 pm

23, from the states as well. u can email me at emishi84@gmail.com since im not cool enough to pm people yet :(

coolzonetaiwan

Postby coolzonetaiwan » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:37 pm

How do you do? I am a taiwanese-born chinese who just returned from michigan, usa.

Mike B.

Postby Mike B. » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 3:46 pm

hey! i'm a 26 yr old who has just arrived a couple of weeks ago. i don't think that i've met another american yet, might be nice. email me if you have a chance. (mbb00b@yahoo.com)

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 4:08 pm

Hello American new-people!

Have you guys tried your American Association - one of our moderators posted some links to these organisations recently - just a do search up on the top.

Also, I *think* your embassy has a meet-and-greet function every now and then - I ran into a number of your tribe at a party at the Aussie High Commission here a few months back and one of them was telling me about it. You may want to check with them also.

Welcome to Singapore - and hope y'all find yer American 'bros!

(We'd love to help but we're Aussies! - and apologies for my feeble attempt at humour [or should that be humor!!])

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 5:23 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Hello American new-people!

Have you guys tried your American Association - one of our moderators posted some links to these organisations recently - just a do search up on the top.

Also, I *think* your embassy has a meet-and-greet function every now and then - I ran into a number of your tribe at a party at the Aussie High Commission here a few months back and one of them was telling me about it. You may want to check with them also.

Welcome to Singapore - and hope y'all find yer American 'bros!

(We'd love to help but we're Aussies! - and apologies for my feeble attempt at humour [or should that be humor!!])

oooohhhh!!! tell me....how does one get a gig to a 'do' at the Aust High Comm?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 5:32 pm

Ah...Fo5 - I could tell you, but then I'd have to, well you know....

PM me and I'll see if I can get you in for a gig

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 5:42 pm

ahhhh, you slept with someone!

:lol:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 6:09 pm

familyof5 wrote:ahhhh, you slept with someone!

:lol:

Yes, my wife.

And no, neither of us work there.

Moverseas

Postby Moverseas » Thu, 31 Jul 2008 6:04 pm

Hi!

I'm a 22 year-old American female and I've been here about a week and a half. Came with my boyfriend and his job.

I'd be interested in coffee- tell me more about yourself.

-M

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 31 Jul 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Moverseas and welcome - some suggestions to get you started:

Have a look for the WNDC and FNDC (i.e. Wednesday Night Drinking Club and Friday Night Drinking Club) threads in this forum. Also have a look out in the social forums for regular sessions that Jewel puts together.

Spend a bit of time exploring here and I'm sure you'll be able to find functions and events in no time!

Cheers, P&C