Singapore Expats

International Trading Co - Documentation Assistant

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
startofthejourney

International Trading Co - Documentation Assistant

Post by startofthejourney » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 2:09 pm

Hi

I am in the process of setting up an international trading company. I am looking for a documentation assistant who will handle all imports and exports documentation including coordination with banks and shipping lines.

Since this is a startup the prospective employee will be the only one in the office alongwith me. In a way its a tough sell to a prospective employee. A new company and a two person office !

Having checked the market do understand that the cost will be SG$3000 pm up plus CPF and 1/2 months annual bonus.

Which would be the places where one can find a decent person ? Apart from giving out an ad in the straits times.

Best Wishes

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: International Trading Co - Documentation Assistant

Post by ksl » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 2:12 pm

startofthejourney wrote:Hi

I am in the process of setting up an international trading company. I am looking for a documentation assistant who will handle all imports and exports documentation including coordination with banks and shipping lines.

Since this is a startup the prospective employee will be the only one in the office alongwith me. In a way its a tough sell to a prospective employee. A new company and a two person office !

Having checked the market do understand that the cost will be SG$3000 pm up plus CPF and 1/2 months annual bonus.

Which would be the places where one can find a decent person ? Apart from giving out an ad in the straits times.

Best Wishes
Appears you don't know much of international trading. It's cheaper to outsource in the start up phase to freight forwarders.

Here there is a diagram which will help you understand international trading, on the export resources page.

http://www.iesingapore.com

startofthejourney

hi

Post by startofthejourney » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 4:33 pm

hi ksl

have been doing this for quite a while now.

i am referring to 'offshore' ( for want of a better word ) international trading. goods are shipped from country a to country b without ever touching singapore.

due to superior infrastructure, superior banking and extensive shipping line offices singapore is the logical place to have a trading office. pretty much the place where just papers are pushed around.

and so a documentation assistant is required for both incoming documents ( load port bl, supplier invoice, cert of origin, phytosanitary cert etc ) and negotiate outward documents ( switch bl, singapore co invoice etc ). for both these activities bank coordination and shipping line coordination is required.

appreciate your help if possible.

best wishes

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: hi

Post by ksl » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 9:01 pm

startofthejourney wrote:hi ksl

have been doing this for quite a while now.

i am referring to 'offshore' ( for want of a better word ) international trading. goods are shipped from country a to country b without ever touching singapore.

due to superior infrastructure, superior banking and extensive shipping line offices singapore is the logical place to have a trading office. pretty much the place where just papers are pushed around.

and so a documentation assistant is required for both incoming documents ( load port bl, supplier invoice, cert of origin, phytosanitary cert etc ) and negotiate outward documents ( switch bl, singapore co invoice etc ). for both these activities bank coordination and shipping line coordination is required.

appreciate your help if possible.

best wishes
Ok I believe you need a coordinator and administrator, with common sense and someone to by around the phone all day, my wife and I, are both educated in international trading, although we have our own commitments now.

I do know a Singaporean, that has the ability and common sense, providing he's introduced into the workings of the procedure, he is working, but looking for an upgrade in occupation, he was studying property agent, but property is quite now, otherwise i would look at a DP holder, to save costs, although they may not be long term.

If you have the knowledge, it won't take them long to get into the routine, of following SOP. the guy i know, is trustworthy, and a nice family guy, but doesn't have a degree.

Although it's like anything else, if they are new to it, there is no guarantee, they like it, although he's got a good brain on him. Let me know if you wish to meet him, you can probably get him for less, until he gets routine in the procedure, he's chinese speaking.