Singapore Expats

Hairdressers in Singapore???

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
colettekent

Hairdressers in Singapore???

Post by colettekent » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:00 pm

Hi,
We will shortly be relocating to Singapore...Since i've had the same hairdresser for over 10 years, i was just wondering the quality of the hairdressing over there?
Thanks, a very anxious customer ;-)

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:09 pm

:D :P

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Post by Gilly » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:50 pm

My sentiments exactly.

I've been here 3 months. Been only once, too nervous to go again.

First time in my life I had to get up and walk out mid way through the cut! :)

So if anyone can recommend, I'd be please to know. I don't want a 'Sinagporean cut' like last time.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 4:15 am

checkout QB. S$10 cut in 10 minutes. seen them in holland village and vivocity. give it a try. :P

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Post by Gilly » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah right. :shock:

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Post by Gypsy Queen » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 2:15 pm

Hi Guys

I have had hair nightmares galore here in Singapore but now go to Toni & Guy at the heeren on orchard road and love it! Chaya does my hi-lights and David cuts my hair, both are excellent and I cannot recommend them highly enough. I would not go to anyone else and have tried a fair few salons so although they do not cost the aforesaid $10 per haircut, they are well worth the extra pennies!

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 8:44 pm

i'm with gypsy queen - toni & guy in the hereen is great. i go to chaya for color (absolutely fantastic) and quester for cuts.

mits

Post by mits » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 9:13 pm

Well, also my first experience was not cheerful - I had recomendations from a friend who had done there hair, though for me it wasn't right one.
My last great find is Tassels at Great World City (3rd floor) - I am satisfied not only on the day of the cut/coloring, but during following months as well until I visit them again. My advice is to tell any of hairdressers that (if you are Caucasian) you want to cut hair wet - not dry like mostly salons do here.
Good luck and dont be afraid to come to Singapore due to terrible hairdressers! ;)

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:13 pm

[quote="mits"]Well, also my first experience was not cheerful - I had recomendations from a friend who had done there hair, though for me it wasn't right one.
My last great find is Tassels at Great World City (3rd floor) - I am satisfied not only on the day of the cut/coloring, but during following months as well until I visit them again. My advice is to tell any of hairdressers that (if you are Caucasian) you want to cut hair wet - not dry like mostly salons do here.
Good luck and dont be afraid to come to Singapore due to terrible hairdressers! ;)[/q

I went to Tassels a few times and I never walked out happy. My hair is very wavy and they have no clue how to handle it. Last time I went there I walked out without having my hair blow dried properly. They were making a complete mess so I had to stop it.

But its really difficult to find the right salon esp if your hair isnt asian straight. Very frustrating! I tried several places and most of the time I'm disappointed.

Some people gave big no no to Toni & Guy at the heeren. Now I'm confused!

I think the best thing is to try a salon by going for a wash and blow. If they can at least handle that then maybe try them again for a trim.

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Post by Gypsy Queen » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:49 am

I have had a couple of bad experiences at the heeren toni & guy but have to say David is one of the best hairstylists I have come across and totally understands and knows how to work with western hair in this heat and how to cut it accordingly. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my hair & David and Chaya are the only ones allowed to touch it with perfect results EVERY TIME! :)

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 7:42 am

when i first came to singapore i went to another recommended salon in takashymia and i swear the color was so bad after the THIRD attempt they didn't even bring me out from the back of the room - and i walked out of there the color of a copper penny! it was horrendous. so bad that my husband actually asked if i scared my son when he saw me :o

i had always gone to toni & guy in london and jakarta (not sure why i didn't just go there when i got here) - but chaya sorted me out straight away and i've been going back for 2 years now. the color is very natural and usually lasts 3-4 months.

i did go to another stylist at toni & guy hereen to begin with and the first cut was fantastic - the 2nd one i look liked i'd been on the chopping block. chaya was the one who recommended quester to me. he's one of the creative directors and really very precise about his cuts. i have semi wavy hair that is fine but a LOT of it so i really need someone who understands how my hair kicks out in certain areas and grows to full around the crown. i've also been growing out my hair since i've been seeing him and have managed to have no "crazy" stages where i just need to wait them out. couldn't be happier.

you have the name of two highly recommended stylists... also the name of a colorist. worth checking out! :)

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 4:17 pm

Got an appointment at Toni & Guy Heeren for a consultation. The lady said David isnt around do they are giving me some person called Dyla (sounded something like that). Anyone with tried or heard of her?

I've had so much hair disasters here that I really had enough of it.

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Post by Gypsy Queen » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 4:53 pm

Hi there, havent heard of her so cant comment but would say if you are really nervous to hold out till David is back, he travels a lot as is the director of most of the Asian salons but is worth the wait if you are worried at all. :)

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:07 am

Gypsy Queen wrote:Hi there, havent heard of her so cant comment but would say if you are really nervous to hold out till David is back, he travels a lot as is the director of most of the Asian salons but is worth the wait if you are worried at all. :)
I'm very nervous! So I called them and cancelled my appointment for tomorrow. But David is back in 2 weeks time so I guess I'll have to wait. But rather do that than experiment with other places. I dont really have much hair left, its at my neck now. To think I had long hair just some months ago - sad.

Will wait for David for my hair cut. After that Chaya for my colour.

Thanks for the advices!

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Post by Gypsy Queen » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:39 am

You're more than welcome and I think you have done the right thing! David saved my hair after it had been disastrously cut and I dont know how he did it but he managed to make it look longer than it looked previously! It may take a few visits to get your hair looking as you want it too, especially if others have been scissor happy with it, but I am so happy with my blonde locks now that it was definitely worth it! :D

Let me know how you get on!