Singapore Expats

Relocating from London to Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
colettekent

Relocating from London to Singapore

Post by colettekent » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 9:22 pm

We will be moving to Singapore in about 6 weeks with our 4mth old baby.
I would be grateful for any advice on the best areas to live, also if it's best to get a high rise or a house. We currently live in a 5 bed house in Fulham and so have a lot of furniture to ship over and some large rugs. I've done some research and it seems that districts 9 & 10 seem to be popular with expats, like Orchard, Kiliney, Grange Rd & River Valley Rd. Anyone live in these areas? Any advice welcome. :)

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Relocating from London to Singapore

Post by Saint » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:14 pm

colettekent wrote:We will be moving to Singapore in about 6 weeks with our 4mth old baby.
I would be grateful for any advice on the best areas to live, also if it's best to get a high rise or a house. We currently live in a 5 bed house in Fulham and so have a lot of furniture to ship over and some large rugs. I've done some research and it seems that districts 9 & 10 seem to be popular with expats, like Orchard, Kiliney, Grange Rd & River Valley Rd. Anyone live in these areas? Any advice welcome. :)
What's your budget?

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Post by Gilly » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:25 pm

You don't need to share your budget.

Where you choose will depend on several factors.

Do you need to be near work? Do you intend to drive? How many bedrooms do you need? Do you want a condo with facilities? Nr to MRT or Malls?

I've just moved myself with pregnant wife and have searched several expat areas.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will share all I know.

Cheers,

Gilly

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:05 am

Gilly wrote: Feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will share all I know.

Cheers,

Gilly
i thought the whole point for a forum is to share all you know with other people as well? no? :roll:

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 5:19 am

durain wrote:
Gilly wrote: Feel free to email me at *****@ymail.com and I will share all I know.

Cheers,

Gilly
i thought the whole point for a forum is to share all you know with other people as well? no? :roll:
And you've just left yourself open to getting spam email from ever tom dick and relator/drugs etc!

You might want to ask a friendly mod to edit out your email address or do it yourself :cool:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 5:23 am

No need for mods to edit out e-mail addresses although I will say as is already said elsewhere, publishing your e-mail address is ill-advised. Saint mentions the reasons above. :-|

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 5:54 am

Plavt wrote:No need for mods to edit out e-mail addresses although I will say as is already said elsewhere, publishing your e-mail address is ill-advised. Saint mentions the reasons above. :-|
Where Plavt? :?

I've just spent 5 minutes looking where you advise newbies not to post email address and can't find it! I'll try again to find it!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:29 am

Saint wrote: Where Plavt? :?
Somewhere in the forums, doesn't matter where since there is no formal guidance that I know of, in any case it should be common sense that if you post your details on a public board you are inviting trouble of a sort. Entirely up to the posters themselves.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:40 am

Plavt wrote:
Somewhere in the forums, doesn't matter where since there is no formal guidance that I know of, in any case it should be common sense that if you post your details on a public board you are inviting trouble of a sort. Entirely up to the posters themselves.
So you admit it's not published on the forum as you previously quoted :roll:

At least try and help members who are new to the world of forums!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:46 am

So you admit it's not published on the forum as you previously quoted :roll:
Should you care to read what I said, I said 'as is already said elsewhere' , do you want me to me to be absolutely pedantic on every issue that arises!? By the tone of your posts lately it is clear that you have every intention of provoking an argument for reasons best known to yourself. Get on with it mate, I am not interested!
Last edited by Plavt on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 7:18 am

Hey guys, what's up?

Full moon is it?

Regarding the email thingy, Plavt as well as others here, including regular members of this board have often time advised people to remove their email addy's from posts. I know SE does as well. Usually we just do it and put a note in the OP's post informing them of it's removal and why. The OP is fully capable of editing his post as he is a registered member.

Don't know what is going on here though. Both of you are trying to help the poster to avoid spam and end up in a Beach-Slapping contest with each other? What's with that? :???:
although I will say as is already said elsewhere,
Does not indicate who said it, or where it was said and is not really necessary to point it out as the whole context was to have the poster remove his email for his own good it........

I know it's Friday but...........

:cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 8:31 am

colletekent, i think what everyone is trying to say is....welcome to the forum. :D you'll get used to the argey bargey. some days, it might even pass the time. When your baby gets older, you can use it as an example of how not to behave.

I lived near fulham when we were in London.

I live near orchard road. Like Gilly, I'm happy to give you any info. You are welcome to PM me if you like. Though you have to have a certain number of posts (5?) to use the PM function. I have 3 small children under 3.

Isambard
Regular
Regular

Post by Isambard » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 8:58 am

Hello there,

I've recently been through the whole relocation thing from a 5-bed house full of stuff in the UK with a 6 month old and without having the chance to do a look-see visit. What we decided to do was to bring about half our stuff so that we could have a bit more flexibilty when looking for a new pad here, and then we stored the rest.

As you have probably read on this website renting here can be pricey and the newer properties that we could afford had smaller rooms. We found that even though we'd tried to reduce the amount of stuff we had, the mammouth size of our sofas was actually the limiting factor in choosing a property - most of the more modern properties just couldn't accommodate them! - and so we went for an older (it's going on 20 years old which makes it almost a historical monument here) but larger apartment block.

Now, ironically, we are having to buy furniture to fill the place :roll: ! Ah well - you can't win 'em all.

I relate this as it might be helpful to you in your situation.

Good luck!

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Post by Gilly » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:14 am

durain wrote:
Gilly wrote: Feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will share all I know.

Cheers,

Gilly
Firstly,
Typical that as SMS said you guys end uo fighting over giving a piece of advice that has nothing to do with the OP.

Secondly,
Thanks for the concern, but I am very used to forums, I know what to do and what not to do.
The OP doesn't have enough posts to PM me, so I gave one of my alternative email address's that I don 't mind using for this purpose.

Finally, in answer to Durian...Yes you are right, in most cases, but I don't think the OP or myself would like to share fairly sensitive information over a public forum.

Cheers,

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 5:44 pm

i know durian is in season, but my nick is durain. :wink:

anyway, not another dog fight... but i dont think the OP is asking for sensitive information. it is quite a bog standard question.

here's my 2 cents for the OP (sensitive version but free for all)...

if you havent been to singapore before, have a look at the map of singapore to get a feel of locations. also have a look at the MRT map (under/overground train). google map is pretty good.

usually it would be easier if you know where you gonna be working, and then we can work out which area would suit you best. no point telling you west the best area since slice bread when you will be working in the east!

the choice of properties and location are endless. most area are nice. cant even get a getto area if you look for one! a lot also depends on your budget too and that's why saint was asking you. and on another duplicate posting by the OP, sms is asking the same question.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic50661.html