Singapore Expats Forum

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

almond2009

Re: National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Postby almond2009 » Thu, 08 Feb 2018 8:16 am

Thank you PNGMK and MS, for the advice you have given me. I don't think there is much I can do at the moment. I'm not against the idea of NS. What I don't like is the inflexibility of the rules (e.g. what if we lose our Singapore connection completely, then what's the point of sending my son back to serve), and the lack of information on what an overseas Singaporean can expect. Things like, what's the waiting time between graduation and starting NS? Can he disrupt if university starts before he completes NS? While these may seem trivial, I think it will add to the total "NS time" significantly and it does matter to the families involved.

If the SG govt reads this, I hope they will consider the practical issues and make NS more friendly for overseas Singaporeans (although my experience has taught me that they don't care).

Sorry for the digression. This forum has given me the answers I seek and I thank you for that. I hope I will come back and give an update in the future.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 08 Feb 2018 8:51 am

almond2009 wrote:Thank you PNGMK and MS, for the advice you have given me. I don't think there is much I can do at the moment. I'm not against the idea of NS. What I don't like is the inflexibility of the rules (e.g. what if we lose our Singapore connection completely, then what's the point of sending my son back to serve), and the lack of information on what an overseas Singaporean can expect. Things like, what's the waiting time between graduation and starting NS? Can he disrupt if university starts before he completes NS? While these may seem trivial, I think it will add to the total "NS time" significantly and it does matter to the families involved.

If the SG govt reads this, I hope they will consider the practical issues and make NS more friendly for overseas Singaporeans (although my experience has taught me that they don't care).

Sorry for the digression. This forum has given me the answers I seek and I thank you for that. I hope I will come back and give an update in the future.

Many readers who are parents here have been through this decision loop. For what it is worth I decided with my son that he would follow the straight path and do O levels, Poly and then NS. There is little value in him (a dual Australian / SC) disconnecting with Singapore at this point.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

JJ0204

Postby JJ0204 » Mon, 19 Feb 2018 3:13 am

HI.. desperately need advise here.
Son just turned 16 in Feb. Understand he will get his NS registration notice soon. Nothing against NS but worried about him when he has to go back for NS alone. We sold our HDB when we left Singapore 8 years ago. No relative back in Singapore and no place to stay when he has to fulfill his NS obligation.
Anyone can offer advise? is it possible to request for deferment till he is 21 (or at least till he is more independent and mature to travel on his own). Parents are unable to travel back with him due to work and younger sibling still attending school overseas.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 19 Feb 2018 7:08 am

JJ0204 wrote:HI.. desperately need advise here.
Son just turned 16 in Feb. Understand he will get his NS registration notice soon. Nothing against NS but worried about him when he has to go back for NS alone. We sold our HDB when we left Singapore 8 years ago. No relative back in Singapore and no place to stay when he has to fulfill his NS obligation.
Anyone can offer advise? is it possible to request for deferment till he is 21 (or at least till he is more independent and mature to travel on his own). Parents are unable to travel back with him due to work and younger sibling still attending school overseas.

Continue to request deferments (AKA overseas NS Exit permits for 1 year and 364 days) until he is old enough to go back or until CMPB refuse to issue anymore, you may need to provide proof of enrolment in school or uni or college. You presumably (and should) be doing this already since he was 13?
Arrested? Lawyer Up
Tax advice? CPA

vlogin

Postby vlogin » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:06 am

Hello all,
I need some help here.
Would like to ask a question. not sure where to find for this hence posting here hopeful that some might give me answer or show me direction.
My DS is having moderate hearing loss and has to use the hearing aids to help him hear well.
He is also not allowed to swimming as he had surgery done on his ears and there is slight hole in the eardrum. So doctors mentioned that he cannot do swimming or get water into ears as it causes infection.
His chances of having hearing being improved are very slim. also he is having a genetic condition, because of this, his facial features are quite different, the eyes are not complete like all of us, but end of his eyes are being cut, that means, when u see his eyes, u see them like a oval cut at the right side (he does not have a bend at the corner of his eyes like we all does,).. hmm not sure if i am able to make it.. and his face is quite small, all the organs like squishing etc
anyways, because of the facial features current he is being make fun/bullied by his class mates (as monkey face :( ) (so was worried if he will be bullied in NS by his fellow members)
Also he is very sensitive to cold and for the weather here in singapore turning cool, he will down with flu, cold and joins the ear infection. so every 3 months we visit doctor and every 6-9 months he will be having one surgery or the other to his ears.
Even now for bath, he wears shower cap so that water does not go into his ears.

Sorry for the rant, but to ask you ppl, I need to give you the back ground of it..

he will be reaching the age where he will get the letter for the enlistment..I was told that once he gets the letter he cannot be away from singapore for longer periods and that permission must be taken from mindef if staying longer time out of singapore. Other than that, I did not find any info about health issues etc..and was worried about the training.. that sometimes they hv to do a run thru rain etc..

Will he get any deferment/any exemption for part of training where he cannot go into water/rain etc. Trying to read thru articles and forums but still could not find any thing.
He is currently PR and we want to take citizen ship or continue his PR. We are for this NS, but was worried about his health issues.
Though we are keen to take citizenship for him or even though he is PR , we would like him to come and do NS. This was our earlier thought.

But recently I was diagnosed with a rare heart condition and now i am in a jumbo. Incase I go back to my home town and my son still holds pr/SC, he will have to come to singapore for NS. before i was diagnosed we are fine with the idea, as I or my husband can stay here for 2 years while my son goes for NS .
Since my heart condition, I dont know how bad the worsening of condition, (the worsened one is i might hv to be on oxygen 24 X 7 and cannot do my own work, need some one to help me on daily routine)
Because of it, I may not be able to find employment in SPore to be financially stable for two years.
By cancelling his PR, we don't want to close his future chances here (either work or studies)
Also, his sister has heart condition as well..

So all apart, will he be doing front line of combat?
Will the NS ppl checked for genetic and parental conditions?
If his hearing does not improve and he has to wear hearing aids or he has moderate hearing loss, will there be any NS front line action he as to do?

Will there be any deferment/exemption given based on his condition?
Or will he have to do the combat training?

Any one might know the answer or how can we approach?
Thanks in advance (sorry for the rant!! Thought u might need to have a complete picture of the situation)

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:38 am

vlogin wrote:Hello all,
I need some help here.
Would like to ask a question. not sure where to find for this hence posting here hopeful that some might give me answer or show me direction.
My DS is having moderate hearing loss and has to use the hearing aids to help him hear well.
He is also not allowed to swimming as he had surgery done on his ears and there is slight hole in the eardrum. So doctors mentioned that he cannot do swimming or get water into ears as it causes infection.
SNIP
Will he get any deferment/any exemption for part of training where he cannot go into water/rain etc. Trying to read thru articles and forums but still could not find any thing.
He is currently PR and we want to take citizen ship or continue his PR. We are for this NS, but was worried about his health issues.
Though we are keen to take citizenship for him or even though he is PR , we would like him to come and do NS. This was our earlier thought.
SNIP
If his hearing does not improve and he has to wear hearing aids or he has moderate hearing loss, will there be any NS front line action he as to do?

Thanks in advance (sorry for the rant!! Thought u might need to have a complete picture of the situation)

Sorry to hear of your illness.

1. He will almost certainly be awarded a medical exemption if this is a genuinely permanent disability and he is deaf enough not to understand commands etc. If he is taken in to NS he will most likely end up in a paper work job or possibly civil defence, His appearance doesn't count but it sounds like he simply will fail out medically. There are some damn ugly NS men and if he uses humour and other tools to deflect the bullying I'm sure he can cope.

2. Given the above - I encourage you to try to keep him in Singapore and as early as possible (after he turns 16.5) consider sending him in for early enrolment at CMPB. They will examine him, give him a deferment and then you don't need to worry about him leaving Singapore or doing NS. If for some reason he DOES pass medical then decide when he should do the NS (i.e. before or after ITE/Poly). It's possible that CMPB may insist he report back again after 18 but considering his permanent deafness I expect he'll get a permanent exemption or a very poor PES which will exempt him from anything but inside work. Another idea might be to find a GP who has some experience of the PES grading and see if he can judge if your son is a PES F grade (permanent disability).

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... nt-scheme/

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... dards-pes/

3. Don't give up his PR. If you're really not well and pass away for your son to be in Singapore where he can complete his education and find work is probably far better than returning to your home country. Once you give up his PR he has no chance to stay in Singapore and work or study.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
Tax advice? CPA

vlogin

Postby vlogin » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 1:12 pm

PNGMK wrote:
vlogin wrote:Hello all,
I need some help here.
SNIP
SNIP

Sorry to hear of your illness.

1. He will almost certainly be awarded a medical exemption if this is a genuinely permanent disability and he is deaf enough not to understand commands etc. If he is taken in to NS he will most likely end up in a paper work job or possibly civil defence, His appearance doesn't count but it sounds like he simply will fail out medically. There are some damn ugly NS men and if he uses humour and other tools to deflect the bullying I'm sure he can cope.

2. Given the above - I encourage you to try to keep him in Singapore and as early as possible (after he turns 16.5) consider sending him in for early enrolment at CMPB. They will examine him, give him a deferment and then you don't need to worry about him leaving Singapore or doing NS. If for some reason he DOES pass medical then decide when he should do the NS (i.e. before or after ITE/Poly). It's possible that CMPB may insist he report back again after 18 but considering his permanent deafness I expect he'll get a permanent exemption or a very poor PES which will exempt him from anything but inside work. Another idea might be to find a GP who has some experience of the PES grading and see if he can judge if your son is a PES F grade (permanent disability).

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... nt-scheme/

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... dards-pes/

3. Don't give up his PR. If you're really not well and pass away for your son to be in Singapore where he can complete his education and find work is probably far better than returning to your home country. Once you give up his PR he has no chance to stay in Singapore and work or study.

Hi Thanks for your insight. I will ponder on thought 2 or 3. Not sure if he will be exempted totally from NS as he he can still hear sounds (but not complete words to be more frank).

When checking this, then found out that I hv another issue coming up so I am in total knots..

The issue i am facing:
Also I am not sure if my PR will be extended after 6 yrs (if I am not working). If PR does not get renewed, how will I able to stay in singapore for whole 2 years, (assuming i may not get long term visa or EP due to my medical condition.

By cancelling his PR, we don't want to close his future chances here (either work or studies)

so yeah, in a kind of limbo.. unable to decide to extend his PR or take up SC

Also would like to know, at the age of 18 yrs, will boys be independent and can stay on their own?
In NS, after the initial 3 months of BMT, will they be sent to home for every weekend?
I was worried that if he stays alone every weekend, it will be easy for him to fall into bad vices if no body keeps an eye on him. Hence we want to be with him during his NS.. But what if my PR is not extended and go back or his PR did not get extended during his NS? Will there be any such cases arising?

Can anyone give me insights on this? This will definitely help on channelling the thoughts and try to take as much as different view and see how it goes.. but our main aim is my son's future and dont want to close doors on singapore..