Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 6:04 pm

slade26 wrote:We will first be becoming PRs, and maybe apply for Ozzie citizenship in future (I understand we all have to give up M'sia and Singapore citizenship respectively, if we decide to do that).

But even if we don't become aussies, both my son and myself can still keep our Malaysian citizenship right?

Thanks for replying!
Yes you can keep your M'sia citizenship but for your son he has to decide by the age of 21 to choose either one.
That does not solve the issue of relinquishing your son SG citizenship now. Once you are allowed to do that, your son will only get either SVP or LTVSP pass as the mom is still a Sger
To do that, you need to go to ICA seventh floor if I am not wrong and request to renounce SG citizenship for son. Not sure if you will succeed as every case is treated on its own merit. In your case if your are already a Ozzie PR then this can be a point of argument that you are migrating for good. The longer you wait and your son ages, your chance diminish and you have to follow all the protocols as NS liabilities falls on him
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

slade26

Post by slade26 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:39 am

Ah, I understand. So we can now go to ICA as well as CMPB and inform them of our *intention* to renounce the Singapore citizenship, then when we obtain Ozzie PR we can further solidify our original intention?

As long as we don't obtain a SG passport at age 10, NRIC at 15, or live in Singapore after 10 years old, right?

Thanks for the replies; great help!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 5:48 pm

slade26 wrote:Ah, I understand. So we can now go to ICA as well as CMPB and inform them of our *intention* to renounce the Singapore citizenship, then when we obtain Ozzie PR we can further solidify our original intention?

As long as we don't obtain a SG passport at age 10, NRIC at 15, or live in Singapore after 10 years old, right?

Thanks for the replies; great help!
You got it all wrong !!. Which part of my reply you do not comprehend
You must get OZ PR first for your family then go to ICA to renounce your son SG citizenship.
It may take a lot longer then you think to do this process of OZ PR under skill migrant point system
If there is nothing to proof why should ICA approve your request to renounce your son SG citizenship.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

melissa01

do i have to pay for bond?

Post by melissa01 » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 9:27 am

Hi,

I have a boy who will be 12 years old this october. I will be migrating to Sweden and intend to live there and obtain citizenship there. I have some doubts now. I understand that if he leaves when he reaches 13, he needs exit permit and bond needed. We are moving to Sweden for good. Does that still implies to us? And can he defer ns? Cos i will renounce my Singaporean citizenship only after i get another citizenship which will happen in 5 years time.
What should i do when he reach 13 and we are in Sweden?

Melissa

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: do i have to pay for bond?

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 5:50 pm

melissa01 wrote:Hi,

I have a boy who will be 12 years old this october. I will be migrating to Sweden and intend to live there and obtain citizenship there. I have some doubts now. I understand that if he leaves when he reaches 13, he needs exit permit and bond needed. We are moving to Sweden for good. Does that still implies to us? And can he defer ns? Cos i will renounce my Singaporean citizenship only after i get another citizenship which will happen in 5 years time.
What should i do when he reach 13 and we are in Sweden?

Melissa
Yes, he needs to apply EP once he turns 13

No he does not require bond if you apply the EP overseas under the ground of overseas schooling and apply for 1 year 364 days. Anything above two years requires a bond.

Yes he can defer ns only if he has attained a foreign citizenship and parents has proof that they no longer reside in Singapore nor holding SG citizenship before he turns 16

I lived in Sweden (Motala) for half on my time and it does not really matter where you reside as long as you follow the protocols.

melissa01

thanks for the reply

Post by melissa01 » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 5:57 pm

Hi again,

What you mean more than 2 years? so he need to apply EP overseas when he's 13 and it can only be granted for 1 year 364 days? More than that need bond? For sure he will be overseas more than 2 years as we decided to migrate there.
Can he postpone it when he's 13 till he's 21?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: thanks for the reply

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 3:15 pm

melissa01 wrote:Hi again,

What you mean more than 2 years? so he need to apply EP overseas when he's 13 and it can only be granted for 1 year 364 days? More than that need bond? For sure he will be overseas more than 2 years as we decided to migrate there.
Can he postpone it when he's 13 till he's 21?
You need to go to CMPB website and READ my STUPID post again for godsake!!

First of all EP is issued either on a 6 months, 1 year , 2 years or 3 years
Anything that is above 2 years will require a bond
To circumvent this rule you APPLY for 1 year and 364 days which means less than 2 years. Capisce ?
Once his EP expires at the end of the first EP, apply again for another 1 year and 364 days
Of course I know you are going to migrate and living there till doomsday
I do not understand the meaning of postpone in your context
What I do know once he turns 13, if he stays outside Singapore more than 3 months , he is required to apply for EP
Is this crystal clear for you or do you want me to speak in Swedish

melissa01

thanks

Post by melissa01 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 5:37 pm

Hi,

I got it now. So we have to apply exit permit for 1 yr 364 days. Aftr that we have to re-apply again. And exit permit based on studies. We will renounce citizenship after we get Swedish citizenship. When the time he's 16.5 do i need to ask for deferment to 21 pending to renounce his citizenship? Anyway thanks a lot for your information. It do helps.. :D

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 5:46 pm

Once you got your son's EP on the first application, inform CMPB your intention to migrate permanently.
But here comes the crux of the issue ........................
unless yourself, son and spouse has attain foreign citizenship
Then on, you and spouse renounce SG citizenship, only then CMPB will consider your son's application to defer till 21 pending renunciation.
Stating your intention to migrate permanently for the whole family does not hold water until you have proof with documents to that effect
Swedish citizenship has changed considerably. your timeline may not be enough for your son to be deferred till 21

GreatScientist

Post by GreatScientist » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 4:51 am

(CONTENT CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHTS ISSUE)

- See more at: (URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHTS ISSUE)
------------------------------------------------------
I wonder how did Terry manage to get his NS defered in 2010 for his uni studies @ NUS when Defence Minister Dr.Ng EH tabled the NS Deferment bill in Parliament and passed on 6/3/2006. MINDEF will only grant deferment for pre-enlistees to gain their basic educational qualifications of ‘A’ levels, polytechnic diploma, or below.
This is reasonable as most of our 18 year old NS enlistees would either have completed their basic qualification programme or are about to complete it.
As university degrees are considered higher educational qualifications, deferments for university studies will no longer be allowed. This new policy for deferments has been in place from the end of last year 2005.

Any comments on this issue will be interesting. Where are the key principles of universality and equity ???

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 6:49 am

Don't know about that, but I do know they were still giving deferments for tertiary educations up to two or three years ago. My son was one such who received a 5 years deferment to go to NAFA locally. He eventually blew it, and dropped out, and is currently shorttime in the Navy. He's 23 already and just doing his NS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

GreatScientist

Post by GreatScientist » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 12:58 pm

Don't censore this content: (CONTENT CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES)
----------------------------------------
I wonder how did Terry manage to get his NS defered in 2010 for his uni studies @ NUS when Defence Minister Dr.Ng EH tabled the NS Deferment bill in Parliament and passed on 6/3/2006. MINDEF will only grant deferment for pre-enlistees to gain their basic educational qualifications of ‘A’ levels, polytechnic diploma, or below.
This is reasonable as most of our 18 year old NS enlistees would either have completed their basic qualification programme or are about to complete it.
As university degrees are considered higher educational qualifications, deferments for university studies will no longer be allowed. This new policy for deferments has been in place from the end of last year 2005.

Any comments on this issue will be interesting. Where are the key principles of universality and equity ???

GreatScientist

Post by GreatScientist » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 1:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Don't know about that, but I do know they were still giving deferments for tertiary educations up to two or three years ago. My son was one such who received a 5 years deferment to go to NAFA locally. He eventually blew it, and dropped out, and is currently shorttime in the Navy. He's 23 already and just doing his NS.
Did your son got his deferment before 2006 ??????

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 1:13 pm

GreatScientist, the censor is because it is SPH copyright and it is auto. Nothing that the moderators can do about.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:54 pm

GreatScientist wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Don't know about that, but I do know they were still giving deferments for tertiary educations up to two or three years ago. My son was one such who received a 5 years deferment to go to NAFA locally. He eventually blew it, and dropped out, and is currently shorttime in the Navy. He's 23 already and just doing his NS.
Did your son got his deferment before 2006 ??????
As far as I can tell he got it either 2007 or 2008 as he started NAFA in 2008, but he dropped out of NAFA after two years, so he lost the deferment.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers