Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
almond2009

Re: National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Post by almond2009 » Thu, 08 Feb 2018 8:16 am

Thank you PNGMK and MS, for the advice you have given me. I don't think there is much I can do at the moment. I'm not against the idea of NS. What I don't like is the inflexibility of the rules (e.g. what if we lose our Singapore connection completely, then what's the point of sending my son back to serve), and the lack of information on what an overseas Singaporean can expect. Things like, what's the waiting time between graduation and starting NS? Can he disrupt if university starts before he completes NS? While these may seem trivial, I think it will add to the total "NS time" significantly and it does matter to the families involved.

If the SG govt reads this, I hope they will consider the practical issues and make NS more friendly for overseas Singaporeans (although my experience has taught me that they don't care).

Sorry for the digression. This forum has given me the answers I seek and I thank you for that. I hope I will come back and give an update in the future.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 08 Feb 2018 8:51 am

almond2009 wrote:Thank you PNGMK and MS, for the advice you have given me. I don't think there is much I can do at the moment. I'm not against the idea of NS. What I don't like is the inflexibility of the rules (e.g. what if we lose our Singapore connection completely, then what's the point of sending my son back to serve), and the lack of information on what an overseas Singaporean can expect. Things like, what's the waiting time between graduation and starting NS? Can he disrupt if university starts before he completes NS? While these may seem trivial, I think it will add to the total "NS time" significantly and it does matter to the families involved.

If the SG govt reads this, I hope they will consider the practical issues and make NS more friendly for overseas Singaporeans (although my experience has taught me that they don't care).

Sorry for the digression. This forum has given me the answers I seek and I thank you for that. I hope I will come back and give an update in the future.

Many readers who are parents here have been through this decision loop. For what it is worth I decided with my son that he would follow the straight path and do O levels, Poly and then NS. There is little value in him (a dual Australian / SC) disconnecting with Singapore at this point.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JJ0204

Post by JJ0204 » Mon, 19 Feb 2018 3:13 am

HI.. desperately need advise here.
Son just turned 16 in Feb. Understand he will get his NS registration notice soon. Nothing against NS but worried about him when he has to go back for NS alone. We sold our HDB when we left Singapore 8 years ago. No relative back in Singapore and no place to stay when he has to fulfill his NS obligation.
Anyone can offer advise? is it possible to request for deferment till he is 21 (or at least till he is more independent and mature to travel on his own). Parents are unable to travel back with him due to work and younger sibling still attending school overseas.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 19 Feb 2018 7:08 am

JJ0204 wrote:HI.. desperately need advise here.
Son just turned 16 in Feb. Understand he will get his NS registration notice soon. Nothing against NS but worried about him when he has to go back for NS alone. We sold our HDB when we left Singapore 8 years ago. No relative back in Singapore and no place to stay when he has to fulfill his NS obligation.
Anyone can offer advise? is it possible to request for deferment till he is 21 (or at least till he is more independent and mature to travel on his own). Parents are unable to travel back with him due to work and younger sibling still attending school overseas.
Continue to request deferments (AKA overseas NS Exit permits for 1 year and 364 days) until he is old enough to go back or until CMPB refuse to issue anymore, you may need to provide proof of enrolment in school or uni or college. You presumably (and should) be doing this already since he was 13?

vlogin

Post by vlogin » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:06 am

not sure why my post is being spread to different websites.. esp independent, transition etc websites..

thought the posts here will not be re-posted anywhere..

I am removing my post as I don't really want to be all over the internet with my so called "post"

Admin, Can we report this to any one Thanks
Last edited by vlogin on Fri, 03 Aug 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:38 am

vlogin wrote:Hello all,
I need some help here.
Would like to ask a question. not sure where to find for this hence posting here hopeful that some might give me answer or show me direction.
My DS is having moderate hearing loss and has to use the hearing aids to help him hear well.
He is also not allowed to swimming as he had surgery done on his ears and there is slight hole in the eardrum. So doctors mentioned that he cannot do swimming or get water into ears as it causes infection.
SNIP
Will he get any deferment/any exemption for part of training where he cannot go into water/rain etc. Trying to read thru articles and forums but still could not find any thing.
He is currently PR and we want to take citizen ship or continue his PR. We are for this NS, but was worried about his health issues.
Though we are keen to take citizenship for him or even though he is PR , we would like him to come and do NS. This was our earlier thought.
SNIP
So all apart, will he be doing front line of combat?
Will the NS ppl checked for genetic and parental conditions?
If his hearing does not improve and he has to wear hearing aids or he has moderate hearing loss, will there be any NS front line action he as to do?

Will there be any deferment/exemption given based on his condition?
Or will he have to do the combat training?

Any one might know the answer or how can we approach?
Thanks in advance (sorry for the rant!! Thought u might need to have a complete picture of the situation)
Sorry to hear of your illness.

1. He will almost certainly be awarded a medical exemption if this is a genuinely permanent disability and he is deaf enough not to understand commands etc. If he is taken in to NS he will most likely end up in a paper work job or possibly civil defence, His appearance doesn't count but it sounds like he simply will fail out medically. There are some damn ugly NS men and if he uses humour and other tools to deflect the bullying I'm sure he can cope.

2. Given the above - I encourage you to try to keep him in Singapore and as early as possible (after he turns 16.5) consider sending him in for early enrolment at CMPB. They will examine him, give him a deferment and then you don't need to worry about him leaving Singapore or doing NS. If for some reason he DOES pass medical then decide when he should do the NS (i.e. before or after ITE/Poly). It's possible that CMPB may insist he report back again after 18 but considering his permanent deafness I expect he'll get a permanent exemption or a very poor PES which will exempt him from anything but inside work. Another idea might be to find a GP who has some experience of the PES grading and see if he can judge if your son is a PES F grade (permanent disability).

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... nt-scheme/

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... dards-pes/

3. Don't give up his PR. If you're really not well and pass away for your son to be in Singapore where he can complete his education and find work is probably far better than returning to your home country. Once you give up his PR he has no chance to stay in Singapore and work or study.

vlogin

Post by vlogin » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 1:12 pm

not sure why my post is being spread to different websites.. esp independent, transition etc websites..

thought the posts here will not be re-posted anywhere..

I am removing my post as I don't really want to be all over the internet with my so called "post"

Admin, Can we report this to any one Thanks
Last edited by vlogin on Fri, 03 Aug 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Escapedprisoner

Post by Escapedprisoner » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 4:54 pm

vlogin Err I am surprised no one asked yet but wouldn’t a major factor be the citizenship that you have? Where are you from?

Unless you are from a country like India, Bangladesh, the sort, ya know what I mean, wouldn’t your country of origin afford you a better future given that Singapore is a microstate, you are not from here so don’t enjoy established family ties as incentives to put up with all the difficult issues like NS and your son has special needs.

It’s really funny to see all these strangers to OP cheerleading for a single goal - to retain the Singapore PR and having the OP’s son perform NS with special needs when they are not originally from Singapore without even considering anything else. The biggest factor among all the “everything else” is obviously what kind of options OP has. And nobody bothered to ask before piling on their “ advice” for him to invest two years of his son’s life into something which has claimed Singaporeans and PR’s lives during peacetime.

Every single developed country is a better place to live than Singapore, even the better developing countries like Malaysia gives an equal to better experience.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 6:18 pm

The loss of life in this country's peacetime army is minuscule compared to the peacetime armies of the developed world. But you are getting there ('developed' - still have a ways to go - infrastructure is there, society isn't). NS isn't a difficult issue to the minds of most people, it's only an issue with the whiners who inhabit the little red dot. (you sound very much like one of them). The rest are thankful for the safety of the little red dot thanks to it devotion of training it's people for any eventuality, just like Israel does. Actually, it would be a good thing if the women here did NS as well. Now THEY would protect this country. Nothing worse than a ticked-off woman, except for a ticked-off woman with a SAR-21.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Escapedprisoner

Post by Escapedprisoner » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 6:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The loss of life in this country's peacetime army is minuscule compared to the peacetime armies of the developed world. .
A most dubious claim since only Taiwan, Israel, South Korea besides sinkieland have mandatory conscription. Comparing peacetime deaths of countries with mandatory conscription with countries without mandatory conscription in the consideration of citizenship is pointless. Like comparing oranges with car parts. Country X could have 10000 times more deaths but since it doesn’t have mandatory conscription I can just choose to not participate

Since only those 3 other countries have mandatory conscription and any country that doesn’t have it scores +1.
sundaymorningstaple wrote: But you are getting there ('developed' - still have a ways to go - infrastructure is there, society isn't). NS isn't a difficult issue to the minds of most people, it's only an issue with the whiners who inhabit the little red dot. (you sound very much like one of them). The rest are thankful for the safety of the little red dot thanks to it devotion of training it's people for any eventuality, just like Israel does. Actually, it would be a good thing if the women here did NS as well. Now THEY would protect this country. Nothing worse than a ticked-off woman, except for a ticked-off woman with a SAR-21.
Sounds like PAP circular.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 9:08 pm

There are a few more than that. Switzerland for one has compulsory national service although much shorter than Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 9:28 pm

It really doesn't matter whether there is conscription or the Draft or a volunteer army. Training deaths happen. However, you wouldn't know anything about that. I was a volunteer back when the Draft was in full swing during the VN war July 65 to July 68. We didn't have any more training deaths per 100,000 of recruits, whether or not they were regulars or conscripted/draftees. Sorry, peace-timer, you are barking up the wrong tree.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Escapedprisoner

Post by Escapedprisoner » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 9:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It really doesn't matter whether there is conscription or the Draft or a volunteer army. Training deaths happen. However, you wouldn't know anything about that. I was a volunteer back when the Draft was in full swing during the VN war July 65 to July 68. We didn't have any more training deaths per 100,000 of recruits, whether or not they were regulars or conscripted/draftees. Sorry, peace-timer, you are barking up the wrong tree.
Peacetime death in US doesn’t matter in what we are talking about because most Americans choose not to be in the military. I will not let my children volunteer in the US. Since there’s no conscription I don’t have to worry like the sinkies and outsiders dumb enough to want in. I don’t care how many people died in Nam. It’s not relevant because my kids will not be joining the US military.

It has been a long time since the US drafted and it will be a long long time it will draft :D, if ever considering how the US population shot past 300 mil mark since Nam and how tech has cut down the numbers needed. That’s why US don’t need to draft since.

While in SinKapore NS is business as usual and always be.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 10:35 pm

And it is because of SinKapore NS you can have business as usual. Otherwise, I reckon Singapore would be part of Malaysia again. Training death happen. Sorry to say, and I feel for the parents, but training deaths are a small price to pay for military readiness in an area that makes the little red dot a prime target. It always has been. I'm not sure of your age, but regardless of what it is, you are certainly showing signs of immaturity with regard to NS. Methinks you need to get some of this stuff. It might help....

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 31 Jul 2018 7:55 am

I doubt the US will need a full draft again - the automation of war (drones, autonomous naval vessels, automatic firing artillery) is in full swing over there.