Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 6:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So, MS, is there any relief for his situation at all, other than the bond? And speaking of which, can he use a banking bond situation where the bank provides the bond for a service charge and insurance guarantee as is done with FDW and Employment Agency bonds?
From memory and I am speaking about more than 10 years ago banker's guarrantee. I am not sure about the one you said. May be Mindef accept , I am no sure . many things change

From compassionate point of view if OP produces his health issues, I think Mindef might consider. I have never come into this situation or seen one hence I am not sure and it can goes either way.

If things turn to custard, may I suggest a few things to OP

1. Change son school from private to public to reduce cost

2. OP and son lives here and finish school and NS

3. Wife live in OZ so as to retain OZPR

4. Wife apply for son MY citizenship NOW. It can be done.

This is the least disruptive in my view for them.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 6:40 pm

AussieMark wrote:See the issue is we have no Singapore relatives. I am an Aussie and the wife is Malaysian.

I can look into his to sort the bond. I know that you can buy a performance bond however I don't see that as the best solution as it could potentially be quite a cost.

If it were not the higher of formula it would be cheaper. Does the govt have a preferred bond provider.

Adding on because I just read your response. :)

I can provide proof of A level enrollment as both children are attending a Catholic school for their studies.

Sorry for the back and forth.
No worries , Mark

But I am not sure about the performance bond. All I know is what I have seen on the guidelines and from past experiences. Things changes / They are quite rigid on many things and everything is set in stone. It has been awhile I replied on this matter and did this. Getting older you know ...well SMS is older than me but by not much
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

AussieMark

Post by AussieMark » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks guys. I will speak with ica tomorrow and work out if there are avenues.

I actually want to give up the dependants pr and see if prior to uni he can come and serve to avoid the "adverse consequences"

I think it will be a combo of 1year exit permit coupled with several ica, midef conversations given the unique circumstances.

Hehe I think the ns is good for my son and it will build character. To me it would be a standout on a Cv. It is something different......

Appreciate the help. Helps me crystalise my thoughts

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 9:00 pm

Mark, be sure to let us know how it transpires. It's because of cases like yours that we have been able to accumulate so much info over the years. And with the ever changing goalposts of the Government, we need all the 1st hand anecdotal evidence we can get. As MS noted, both of us are getting a bit long in the tooth so a lot of our direct experiences may not be quite the way it's handled today so we need constant fresh input into the archives. Good Luck.
sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AussieMark

Post by AussieMark » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 9:20 pm

Sure thing I will pass on all knowledge. :)

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 2:51 am

AussieMark wrote:
I am not trying to avoid ns. My wife is an Aussie pr who needs to be in Australia to retain the pr. Both kids hold Aussie passports.

Remember I am not trying to avoid ns. I am trying to assess what options and avenues I have.

Cheers
Mark
Just another option to consider:
If your children are SG pr, they may be able to enroll in local government schools, which are a lot cheaper than private school.

Your wife maybe able to renew her Aust pr without fulfilling the length of residency requirement as you hold aust citizenship, and you are here in sg for work purposes. Perhaps speak to the Aust immigration may help?

AussieMark

Post by AussieMark » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 7:42 am

Thanks @nanana, My daughter was in local school until recently finishing P6 and my son in HCIS. My wife has extended her PR a few times already and this latest time her aussie PR was only extended 1 yr.

There are several factors at play here necessitating the wife and kids being back in Australia.

Cheers
Mark

AussieMark

Post by AussieMark » Wed, 06 Jan 2016 11:39 pm

Still waiting for CMPB to call back as they could not help much because of the unique situation. Bond by deed will not work as both parents have to live in Singapore. Guarantors wont work as we have no relatives and it is unrealistic to ask friends to go guarantor.

The plan b will simply have some return every 3 months to singapore for the stamp and extend til he finishes A levels at which point he will be 18.5. This is unless the CMPB and NS come back with an alternative.

Its difficult as they do not really encounter cases where 1st gen PR gives it up but dependants (2nd) gen want to do PR..... The story continues.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 12:45 am

AussieMark wrote:Still waiting for CMPB to call back as they could not help much because of the unique situation. Bond by deed will not work as both parents have to live in Singapore. Guarantors wont work as we have no relatives and it is unrealistic to ask friends to go guarantor.

The plan b will simply have some return every 3 months to singapore for the stamp and extend til he finishes A levels at which point he will be 18.5. This is unless the CMPB and NS come back with an alternative.

Its difficult as they do not really encounter cases where 1st gen PR gives it up but dependants (2nd) gen want to do PR..... The story continues.
Mark

I am right then as even during my time I have not encountered such cases.
If you were to use Plan B , make sure inform Mindef and ICA of your intention so that your son will not be stopped at the border control due to his frequencies of every three months in and out of Singapore
That plan I have come across and till this day a living proof.
Your intention is good but CMPB officials does not like people to rock the boat. I would be more surprise if they agreed to your plan not that I am against it but given the fact that they are like "robots" with a 10 year series guideline / pocket book in their hand and very rare one of them will take responsibility

Good luck and let me know how it turns out

AussieMark

Post by AussieMark » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 1:57 am

MS I hear you and it was kinda strange but thats what they suggested at CMPB. Only time will tell.

The other challenge is syncing up all of the trips with school terms and holidays to ensure we stay within the 3 months. I assume that 3 months equals 90 days.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 1:16 pm

Yes 30 days based on arrival into Singapore. Not leaving OZ. As per precaution go for 29th day from OZ or 30th day leaving SG.

Chewbacca

Post by Chewbacca » Sun, 06 Mar 2016 12:27 pm

Greetings
A slight variation to deferment, can anyone point to a link or explain the process for NS for a secondary school student currently studying overseas who wish to finish Uni first before serving?

Chewbacca

Post by Chewbacca » Sun, 06 Mar 2016 12:29 pm

FYI: Student still below 13. We're studying all options.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Mar 2016 2:58 pm

Tertiary studies overseas cannot get deferment for.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/press_ ... 6_nr2.html
Therefore, MINDEF will only grant deferment for pre-enlistees to gain their basic educational qualifications of ‘A’ levels, polytechnic diploma, or below. This is reasonable as most of our 18 year old NS enlistees would either have completed their basic qualification programme or are about to complete it. As university degrees are considered higher educational qualifications, deferments for university studies will no longer be allowed. This new policy for deferments has been in place from the end of last year.*
* Since 2005.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 06 Mar 2016 4:16 pm

TO Chewbacca,

Just FYI.

A real case

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ns ... onths-jail

Man jailed 1.5 months for evading NS for six years

He come back for NS after university studies.