Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Nov 2015 3:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:True JR, but birthplace doesn't show up on those lists. Yet. But it's coming.
Hmmm surprising, you'd have thought it would be core-data. Since 'Mo from Birmingham', born Mohammed in Mogadishu is.... well, you get it.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Nov 2015 5:13 pm

Not all countries have biometric passports where the data can easily be downloaded. You can only get so much in the barcodes. But, as I said, it's coming, for sure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Diy

Post by Diy » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 4:08 am

It is a pity that Singapore doesn't want its children (those keeping out of the country who renounced their Sg citizenship but did not serve NS). Maybe by being more forgiving, it can win back these "lost" group instead of relying on so many foreign talents who may have a foot in their own countries.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:26 am

Diy wrote:It is a pity that Singapore doesn't want its children (those keeping out of the country who renounced their Sg citizenship but did not serve NS). Maybe by being more forgiving, it can win back these "lost" group instead of relying on so many foreign talents who may have a foot in their own countries.
Drop dead.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Re: RE: Re: National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Post by thismyvoice » Sun, 15 Nov 2015 8:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
WiganMick wrote: Only strict laws that we remember where that if a Singaporean had long hair you would be served last, and if you just happened to land at the airport as a tourist with long hair you would be forced to have it cut or deported, fined, jailed, beaten with a rotan or all four.

Jailed or Beaten for long hair ? Oh man .. that's a new one.

Are you serious ?

I never heard of even fine, it was cut it or be denied entry.

Is your wife even a Singaporean?

SMS, did you know you could be jailed or caned for long hair ? Image
Extracted from the book OB Marker - Cheong Yip Seng

One famous campaign was against long hair. We took care not to promote what was then a global fashion trend. The PM took it so seriously, it caused a major diplomatic row with the Malaysians. In 1970, 3 young men were arrested at the Causeway. Their crime : having long hair. They were detained for 17 hours, until they agreed to pay to have their hair cut. Unfortunately, they turned out to be Malaysians. When they returned home, they complain publicly. Malaysians were outraged and their government fired off a stern protest note to Singapore High Commission in KL. Malaysian students protested and Malaysian press also condemn Singapore. LKY was forced to postpone a scheduled visit to KL and apologized. “If they now appear less attractive to their girlfriends, we will send up wigs”.

To LKY, long hair represented a counter-culture of American origin suggestive of a lifestyle he was determined to stamp out. At that time, American students were against Vietnam War due to the enormous cost to human lives. Flower power followers, or hippies, dressed in clothes embroidered with the vibrant colours of flowers, and wore flowers in their hair. Their culture degenerated into an orgy of drug-taking, psychedelic art, movies, pop music and free love. It makes taking drugs popular. So persuasive was flower power, spread through films, TV and music, that the government went to great lengths to inoculate Singapore public against its harmful effects. It could not condone taking pots. Tough anti-drug laws were introduced, including capital punishment for drug offenses. One song by Beatles, Puff the magic dragon, was banned from airwaves.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Nov 2015 9:19 pm

Yep, served last, get a haircut or be on the next plane out (without coming through immigration). The rest is a figment of the writer's overactive memories.

Oh, Puff the magic Dragon by PP&M and this one as well for very long time....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:25 am

Interesting. I think describing the 60s and hippies as 'descending into an orgy [etc]' is falling for a stereotype that is at least greatly exaggerated.

I remember there being signs up in government buildings that those with long hair would either not be served, or served last. Certainly at the land border to/from JB. At the GPO at Boat Quay (now the Fullerton Hotel). That's as recent as the mid/late 80s.

p.s. Puff the Magic Dragon. Hehehe - I remember learning the fact that childhood song was a reference to drugs only much later in life. Quite a shocker :) JJ Cale also did a version of 'Cocaine'. Strange as later in life he went into melt-down at his concerts if an audience member smoked so much as a cigarette.
Rolling Stones 'Brown Sugar'. Velvet Underground/Lou Reed 'Heroine'. Elton John 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds' [i.e. LSD]. There are such references all over the place.
Last edited by JR8 on Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:47 am

I Googled the issue of SG and long-hair, and got two good hits, one from Wikipedia, the other from a Google group...
---------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hair_in_Singapore
'A ban on long hair once existed in Singapore. In the 1960s, a Singapore government policy forbidding any male to sport long hair went into effect. This was in response to the growing popularity of the hippie subculture worldwide; the government deemed such an influence to be negative and detrimental to the country's development. The consequences for defying the long hair ban varied from getting fined to having one's hair being forcefully cut short. Additionally, it was ordered by the government that long-haired males be given the lowest priority when it came to requesting for help at government facilities.
Long-haired male foreigners entering the country were requested to leave. Among others, the Bee Gees, Kitarō, and Led Zeppelin all were forced to cancel their gigs in Singapore because they refused to accommodate the policy.
The ban caused repercussions for the country after its introduction, straining ties between Singapore and other countries. Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew even had to cancel a business trip owing to heavy protests by a few individuals affected by the ban. It was finally lifted in the 1990s. In 2013, local newspaper The Straits Times included the ban in its list of fifty objects identifiable to Singapore.

----------------
This is a edit/clip from > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... lLwwYobigw
By a poster, replying to a question re: 'Is long hair a problem for visitors to SG?'

'I am also a Canadian living in Asia for the last 20 yeast. I do travel
to Singapore at least 4 times a year since the late 80s. While it is
true that the Singapore society do not encourage male sporting long
hair, the society is much more "open" today.
The most important for Singaporeans businessman is not if you have long
hair or no hair, but if you are a sound businessman. If you visit to
Singapore is for business and if your dealing with Singapore business
will generate income to the business community of Singapore they will
forget how long are your hair looking at how much money they can earn
from their deal with you.
From a Canadian Buddhist monk who has no hair !

Example of the poster here -> http://tinyurl.com/omajxsz

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 1:38 pm

JR8 wrote:I remember there being signs up in government buildings that those with long hair would either not be served, or served last. Certainly at the land border to/from JB. At the GPO at Boat Quay (now the Fullerton Hotel). That's as recent as the mid/late 80s.
The one last remaining notice about Long hair was in the Former Civil Defense Building, at Bendemeer Road.

Something like 'improperly attired, long haired and such may be refused entry, or attended to last"

It was there till they tore down that building.

joesphpeek

Post by joesphpeek » Tue, 08 Dec 2015 3:35 pm

Most Important this department...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Dec 2015 4:22 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc...

ThatKirisame

Post by ThatKirisame » Fri, 01 Jan 2016 5:01 am

Hi, I would like to ask a question. If I am holding a dual citizenship, already have a passport of another country but am already in the middle of serving national service, when I turn 21 am I allowed to give up my citizenship and leave the army?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 01 Jan 2016 7:18 am

ThatKirisame wrote:Hi, I would like to ask a question. If I am holding a dual citizenship, already have a passport of another country but am already in the middle of serving national service, when I turn 21 am I allowed to give up my citizenship and leave the army?
No , statutory requirement is 21 and you have to serve your NS or else liabilities still hangs above your head as part of the renounciation requirement is NS and above 21
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 10:19 am

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 11:32 am

AussieMark wrote:Hi MS and Sundaymorningstaple

Hope you can help me. I am an Aussie PR and my wife is a malaysian passport holder, my son who was born in SIngapore is now 15.5 years old. My wife, son and daughter are all on dependant passes under my PR. Both son and daughter are Australian passport holders. In January of this year my son is relocating with my wife and daughter to Perth to continue his studies.

So you are an Ozzie with SG PR and wife and son has SG PR too but OZ citizenship ? yes ?

At this stage I want him to do NS and am not sure the best way to go about things.

Well, if you want him to do NS then stay as per status quo and finish his formal education in Singapore which I strongly recommend since OZ education up to YR 12 is full of crap , I know my girls gone to thru OZ educations.. Finish then continue with Pre U or college then serve the NS. In this way he retains his SG PRship and once turn 21 he can apply by himself and will hold him in good stead with SG Gahmen in employment and continuation of SG PRship

I am not keen on putting up a bond and would like to understand the exit permit steps that I need to take. He is also not sure whether he wants to do NS but I think it is good for him to leave employment opportunities open.

This is another kettle of fish altogether. He is already past 13 hence he can only get max One year Exit Permit if he/you/wife decides to continue his study in OZ. Complete waste of time I would say going by this route. Plus you will have to pose a bond if you are lucky , you and wife becomes the guarantor to ensure he returns to serve NS if he leaves for OZ to continue study but I think the likely chance of placing $$$ bond is high since you are only a PR so does your wife. everything has to be done before 13 years of age as it gets harder nearer to NS age which is 18
I understand that I can apply for a 1 year 360 days exit permit for my son without having to place a bond. There after I will have to apply on a rolling 80days basis if I am still in Singapore working. If I am not and I have taken back my PR I am not sure what happens as the family's status is dependant on my PR. All very confusing.....

This is does not apply to you as per above answer

The way I look at it . he should attain MY citizenship since he is a child of MY parent. Therefore he has a better opportunities going forward too in MY . I know MY like SG does not permit dual citizenship. He is already late and by doing so will lose at both end.
He was born in Singapore, he should have gotten SG citizenship unless you refuse one

While my family is going to be in Australia I will continue to work in singapore and travel to and from. may rescind my pr status and go back to australia at some stage in the future depending on work status. This is the main reason for shifting the family back early so that they can adjust and settle in.

Your child is already 15 . He will have many SG friends, It is easier when the child is younger to make the jump to another country. Bear in mind it is not easy for child and wife especially to make the switch. A complete culture shock to some.
If education is your main concern, hands down SG formal education is better. Once he finish his studies and did his NS, he can then apply Oz uni and it will be easier for him as he is already an OZ citizen hence study loan and others will not be a problem.
Since they a SG PR to relinquish is easy but to regain will be most impossible. Think carefully

As neither I or my wife are Singapore passport holders I am not sure how best to proceed.

Hope to hear from you soon.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!