Singapore Expats Forum

Procedure for Deferment from NS - I've checked!

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
beavisbutthead
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 21 Oct 2008

Postby beavisbutthead » Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:46 pm

my god chopin88, you're such a stupid bastard, you know that?? I am new here but I have read your previous posts and I just wonder how long it takes for you to understand -.- It really can't be that it takes so long to get it in to your goddamn head
there's not much to understand and I really do not know why you act like a dumb
just move your ass to Singapore my god

beavisbutthead
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 21 Oct 2008

Postby beavisbutthead » Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:49 pm

by the way I also find that you humiliate Singapore by not doing service, it is a shame because the country does so much for its citizens and you coward just run away
pitiful

Stylista
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 17 Oct 2008

Postby Stylista » Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:36 am

My boy has absolutely no interest in going back for his NS. I'm not sure how to convince him to go for it.
So if he doesn't go back, I'll be charged the $75000 bond? and does that also mean that I, the mother, will never be able to go back to Singapore again?

For those that lived overseas and were hesitant about going back, how did your family convince u to go back for NS?

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun, 08 Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:11 am

Stylista wrote:My boy has absolutely no interest in going back for his NS. I'm not sure how to convince him to go for it.
So if he doesn't go back, I'll be charged the $75000 bond? and does that also mean that I, the mother, will never be able to go back to Singapore again?

For those that lived overseas and were hesitant about going back, how did your family convince u to go back for NS?


How many times do we have to something whether we want to or not?

I would suggest that you talk it through with your boy who is after all quite old now. Expose the different angles of this problem e.g. the bond, what it means to be a deserter, possible repercussions for the S'porean mother, what does NS entail etc.

If at the end of it all he decides not to do NS, you may not need to post bond after all - just keep him away from Singapore for the rest of his life.

We all have to assume the choices we make in life, the more important is to make them en connaissance de cause (i.e. knowing what you're in for).
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun, 08 Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Update : My son has been granted his exit permit

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 2:00 am

My son turned 13 in October and I emailed CMPB that same day.

Just received the letter today. They have agreed to grant him deferment from NS till the age of 21 pending renunciation of his Singapore citizenship. They have even given him an exit permit valid till his 17th year, at which time he must register for NS and wait to receive another exit permit.

Of course he must not enjoy privileges of Singapore citizenship in the meantime and must renounce Singapore citizenship at the age of 21.

I hope that this helps, that this confirms what I have said some time ago that one must seek clarification from the right authorities instead of spending one's time speculating. Singapore for all her faults is not a despotic country, if you do things by the book, you will be treated with respect due to you.

Have a Merry Christmas!
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun, 08 Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 2:06 am

I wish to add that on a personal note I am still hopeful that things may change in the next decade, that maybe they will allow dual citizenships at least under certain circumstances. If that day comes, I will do my utmost to encourage my boy to do his NS and keep both citizenships. I am Singaporean, I just feel sad that my family's connection to my country will end with me. This country has given me so much.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 3:48 pm

Petales Soufflez,

It's good to hear from you. I am glad all has gone well with regards to your son's exit permit and deferment from NS. It's as we've said all along, as long as one does their homework, it is relatively painless (except where the heart is concerned - I understand your sadness). I, like you, hope that they will soon come to their senses here and start allowing dual citizenship for their adult citizens. My son, once he goes into NS, will, with almost certainty, renounce after reaching the age of 21 or upon his ROD from NS. A year ago, I would have though differently but again, tomorrow is still another story, let alone next year.

All the best and a Joyeux Noël to you and yours...

sms

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun, 08 Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 6:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Petales Soufflez,

It's good to hear from you. I am glad all has gone well with regards to your son's exit permit and deferment from NS. It's as we've said all along, as long as one does their homework, it is relatively painless (except where the heart is concerned - I understand your sadness). I, like you, hope that they will soon come to their senses here and start allowing dual citizenship for their adult citizens. My son, once he goes into NS, will, with almost certainty, renounce after reaching the age of 21 or upon his ROD from NS. A year ago, I would have though differently but again, tomorrow is still another story, let alone next year.

All the best and a Joyeux Noël to you and yours...

sms


Merci beaucoup, SMS. BONNES FETES à vous également.

In my letter to CMPB, I reminded them that the reality is that there are many Singaporean women married to foreign men and therefore there are many children born with SHARED (not divided) loyalties and cultures. They should learn to accept that and do something about it.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

andy_leo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 07 Dec 2009

Postby andy_leo » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 9:53 am

Dear Petales, may I know current where are your son (i.e. in Singapore or other country).

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun, 08 Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 5:43 pm

andy_leo wrote:Dear Petales, may I know current where are your son (i.e. in Singapore or other country).


We are in Italy.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

am1live
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 14 Sep 2011

Re: Update : My son has been granted his exit permit

Postby am1live » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:19 pm

Petales Soufflez! wrote:My son turned 13 in October and I emailed CMPB that same day.

Just received the letter today. They have agreed to grant him deferment from NS till the age of 21 pending renunciation of his Singapore citizenship. They have even given him an exit permit valid till his 17th year, at which time he must register for NS and wait to receive another exit permit.

Of course he must not enjoy privileges of Singapore citizenship in the meantime and must renounce Singapore citizenship at the age of 21.

I hope that this helps, that this confirms what I have said some time ago that one must seek clarification from the right authorities instead of spending one's time speculating. Singapore for all her faults is not a despotic country, if you do things by the book, you will be treated with respect due to you.

Have a Merry Christmas!


hey there - learn a lot from reading your experience. Few questions- 1. were either u or ur husband or anyof ur other children a Singaporean when ur child was 13 and u made the application pending renounciation?
2. how old was ur son when u left singapore?
3. other than Singapore passport, IC, no public schooling, no HDB is there anything tangible that can be counted as "socia economic benefit"?

thanks a lot - would really appreciate your reply :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:35 pm

The two biggest tangibles are the Singapore passport/NRIC and schooling past primary school.

am1live
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 14 Sep 2011

Postby am1live » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks to everyone on this form - especially MS - for your knowledge, time and valuable insights. I am really grateful
Last edited by am1live on Wed, 05 Oct 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OkLah
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue, 21 Sep 2010

Postby OkLah » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 7:39 am

iirc, the cases MS referred to were those of children who were granted citizenship by descent, not by birth. I too had tried but my request was denied.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 9:19 am

am1live wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The two biggest tangibles are the Singapore passport/NRIC and schooling past primary school.


Dear SMS

Thanks so much for replying back. I really appreciate the insights u have shared on this form. I am trying to evaluate the sucess rate of my son as I plan to emmigrate out of SIngapore permanently. My kids (son and daughter) acquired citizenship by birth. They hold Indian passport only and no IC. My son is 3.5 years. I havent taken Baby Bonus and even forfeited tax subsidies for parents of SIngapore children

1. Based on your experience seeing so many cases -wondering if we emmigrate now, do we have a high chance of success? At least a 80% or more?

2. A potential difficulty is my husband my holds Singapore passport - for him to reclaim Indian citizenship back may take 10/12 years by which time my son would be older than 13. I read somewhere that its almost a ground rule for all success cases of deferment of NS pending renounciation that both parents must not be singaporean. Wondering if this
is true? If so i guess timing becomes important, does my husband have to be able to renounce by the time my son is 13?

Notice to renounce must be started by the time of 13th birthday (as per the many posts regarding same). The process must be followed to the "T" else you can get tripped up and have unending problems. Regarding your husband, he will have to state intent to renounce and will have to definitely renounce prior to the child's 21st birthday. I'm not sure if he will have to renounce before that, but the sooner his renunciation takes place the better chances your son will have. He should start the process as soon as possible so that in the event of further questioning, the information would be readily available to prove intent to renounce his Singapore Citizenship. So, yes, the soonest started, the better the child's odds are that he will be granted deferment and subsequent renunciation.

3. lastly, is there any way I can successfully renounce of deprive my kids of singapore citizenship before 21? They acquired singapore citizenship by birth - I was very keen to travel out of Singapore to give birth but as I was a high risk pregnancy my doctor prohibited it based on safety of the children. I have a letter from my gynacologist to this effect. I had emailed ICA as soon as i knew that I would be forved to deliver in Singapore to see if there was any way they would consider my case but it fell on deaf ears.

I don't think that will happen as they are NOT citizens by descent but by birth as one parent is a Singaporean. This is the stumbling block. I'm unaware of any successful cases with this type of citizenship. I might be wrong, but I just don't have the anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise.


Earlier yesterday I saw some "scattered" posting my Mad Scientist on young kids under 5 being able to give up citizenship under speacial circumstances. I use the word "scattered" as lots of postings inbetween are deleted. I am not sure if my understang is correct - is there any way I can give up their citizenship? does anyone on the forum tried this and managed successfully. I can use my gynacologist letter as evidence.

At one point, MS was under the gun by the gahmen here, so in order to try to protect us, he deleted a lot of his posts :-( but if I recollect, these were descent/naturalized cases and not "by birth in Singapore to a Singaporean parent" cases. Maybe MS will log in and see this thread and contact you via PM, thereby keeping any other information off line.


many thanks SMS - really appreciate ur guidance


sms


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests