Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Drivers licence road rules

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Singapore Drivers licence road rules

Postby ozchick » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:39 am

Does anyone know where we can get a copy of the local road-rules etc , (other than going to local test centres) required for learning prior to converting to Sg licence ?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Levikane
Regular
Regular

Postby Levikane » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:42 am

NTUC Fairprice. They are about $7-13 depending on the book you buy. In the magazines section.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:48 pm

Levikane wrote:NTUC Fairprice. They are about $7-13 depending on the book you buy. In the magazines section.

Hey good one L ! Thanks for that !

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:55 pm

Or Kinokuniya or Borders... basic theory is what you want.

First thing though is to get signed up at one of the driving centers to take the test. Long waiting period. Was about 3 months.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 1:08 pm

Omigosh, she's letting herself loose on the roads... :o

The book is available at any Popular bookstore found in suburban malls and even at some MRT stations.

zjules
Regular
Regular

Postby zjules » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 1:21 pm

The rules are easy.. give way to no one whatever the circumstances, look ahead only, mirrors are for decoration, constantly tap the accelerator pedal to make passengers feel unwell, you may only stay in 1 lane for max 15 seconds...

seriously though, most bookshops have the booklet

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

Driving

Postby Allibert » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 1:25 pm

yeah - only costs few dollars 3 or 4. there's also a book with sample questions. When you sign up, keep looking at free spots. If people drop out, you can get your test quickly (I got mine within a week where the normal waiting time is about 2 months)

Alan

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 1:46 pm

zjules wrote:The rules are easy.. give way to no one whatever the circumstances, look ahead only, mirrors are for decoration, constantly tap the accelerator pedal to make passengers feel unwell, you may only stay in 1 lane for max 15 seconds...

The Taxi Driver's Pledge. :lol:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 5:27 pm

You guys are hilarious ! LOL :D
Yeah that taxi driver's accelaration thingy is just too much at times- it's been mentioned on here before and nobody seems to know why they do this....meanwhile went and bought 2 books (basic and advanced). It seems that the rooster and I will have a little light reading to do on the plane tomorrow night. What larks ! :roll:
And WIMH, if you see someone out in the traffic tooting everyone and telling them how to drive- yep- that will be me ! I know it all ! :wink:

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 9:56 pm

You really only need the BTT book, you may confuse yourself with the other one, as some of the questions are worded in a way only Singapore could do :wink: but the BTT book lays it out as it is. Study those and you will pass no worries. Taking the test was quite fun really (yes I need a life).
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:56 pm

micknlea wrote:You really only need the BTT book, you may confuse yourself with the other one, as some of the questions are worded in a way only Singapore could do :wink: but the BTT book lays it out as it is. Study those and you will pass no worries. Taking the test was quite fun really (yes I need a life).

Yes, test is quite fun. Fully automated. Took me 12 minutes of my allotted hour to complete.

Such fine questions as: You drive your car through a deep puddle and the brakes become wet. You should

a) Drive uphill to allow the water to drain
b) Drive fast to air dry the brakes
c) Pump the brakes until braking force is restored

Hmmm... I think I got that one right.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Such fine questions as: You drive your car through a deep puddle and the brakes become wet. You should

a) Drive uphill to allow the water to drain
b) Drive fast to air dry the brakes
c) Pump the brakes until braking force is restored

But they didn't include the correct answer, which is

d) Take off any expensive shoes and roll up trouser legs so these don't get ruined by any water seeping through, all the while flashing your headlights rapidly so the driver in front will know you can't stop

Sigh, they just don't teach the important stuff anymore.

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Postby bruinbear » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 2:26 pm

I'm told that the impt stuff is taught and tested in the Advanced Theory Test. Some friends tell me they failed the advanced theory test a few time.

But if you are trying to convert your foreign license to a Singapore one, you only need to pass the Basic Theory.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 5:31 pm

http://www.sgdriving.net/mem/test_list.php

this link might come in useful for some sample test questions

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 6:07 pm

ozchick wrote:You guys are hilarious ! LOL :D
Yeah that taxi driver's accelaration thingy is just too much at times- it's been mentioned on here before and nobody seems to know why they do this....

I did ask, "saves petrol lah" theory being less time the pedal is down the less petrol they use #-o