Singapore Expats Forum

Advise on Australian Visa - Skilled Visa

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

starrylove

Advise on Australian Visa - Skilled Visa

Postby starrylove » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 2:14 am

I was reading up on the visa for skilled workers and was wondering if any one has applied for any of these before?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general- ... utside.htm

I understand that we have to get our degree accessed at SkillAssess to determine if it is recognized under the Skilled Occupation List. They also require 2 years relevant work experience. I am actually self employed. Does anyone know if it can be considered relevant?

The points required for the sponsored visa by a family is 100 points. Will everyone who attain the 100 points be given a PR? Or will they still pick and choose?

Has anyone gone through this before and have any experience to share?

andy21
Regular
Regular

Postby andy21 » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:57 am

My sister just got applied, and she has gotten through the skills assessment part, and is awaiting instructions to go for medical checkups, police reports and all that sort of thing. May still be a few months though for her.

In her case, she trained as a civil engineer in Melbourne, but she was a bit lucky in that DIMIA has recently changed their skills assessment to require 2 years of relevant work experience in one's field of study, which she didn't have since she did something other than civl engineering. This requirement was not in place when she first applied before September last year.

I am not sure about your case, but my sister went rhough a migration agent, a good one I think since I went with her each time.

Their name is Yes Migration and they are located at 6 Raffles Quay. Their fees are as follows: they collect $2000 upfront for stage one, which is the skkill assessment. If it is not successful, their refund the $2000. If it is, they keep the $2000. And when said application is completed successfully, they collect another $2000.

Of course all government and associated fees are borne by the applicant.

Thought this fee system was quite fair, since they get nothing if your skills don't qualify, so they are not so likely to tell you that you have an excellent chance of success if your chance is in fact zero.

You might want to check them out although I don't remember their number.

We spoke to quite a lot of agents before going to them, and the reason we went to them was because they were more forthcoming with information over the phone whereas every single other agency we called simply said to go down and they'll talk (you know, that typical Singaporean attitude). Like they are the only busy people in the world, so of course we gave them a skip.

starrylove

Postby starrylove » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:44 am

Thanks for sharing.

Wow she applied before September of last year and only got a reply now? That's very long!

The 2 years relevant work experience is giving me a headache too. But I'll definitely call up Yes Migration to see what they think. I called one other one and they said I should go down to their office (like you mentioned).

andy21
Regular
Regular

Postby andy21 » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:05 pm

Actually they got the result of their skills assessment very fast, probably within a month, but it's just that they've been waiting since then for further instruction.

starrylove

Postby starrylove » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 1:20 pm

I see...

Anyway I called up Yes Migration and I agree that they are very nice. See how it goes! :)

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 8:26 pm

Has the requirement dropped back to 100 points? I remember a few years ago it went up to 120? 125? Nonetheless, if you're a total newbie to Australian immigration, then a local migration agent is probably your best bet. Otherwise do it yourself or shop around (as in off shore).
some signatures are more equal than others

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 8:38 pm

Thought this fee system was quite fair, since they get nothing if your skills don't qualify, so they are not so likely to tell you that you have an excellent chance of success if your chance is in fact zero.

Can you get blood out of a stone? 2000$ to do the test, and if you fail, the Company will give it you back, it's got to be one of the oldest tricks around.... I don't see anyone giving anything back, here in Singapore, especially money, in my opinion.

And if you can do the assessment online, then why pay anyway? So Migration collect 4000$ for nothing :roll: I think the daunting situation comes when you never hear anything for months or years, and wonder why you paid the 2000$ in the first place.

Surely the whole process can be done, without their help, and if not, do you think, you should be qualified to immigrate? Just curious! If it's a yes, then I will submit the application for 1500$ :lol: :P and another 1500$ when you are accepted :)

starrylove

Postby starrylove » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 9:23 pm

banana wrote:Has the requirement dropped back to 100 points? I remember a few years ago it went up to 120? 125? Nonetheless, if you're a total newbie to Australian immigration, then a local migration agent is probably your best bet. Otherwise do it yourself or shop around (as in off shore).

It is 100 for Skilled Sponsored migrants. I have family there. For Independent migrants, it is 120.

I will most probably try to get assessed at SelfAssess myself. It is AUD$390. I'm not willing to pay S$2000 for them to do it.

cool_nich
Regular
Regular

Postby cool_nich » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 9:34 pm

ksl wrote:

Can you get blood out of a stone? 2000$ to do the test, and if you fail, the Company will give it you back, it's got to be one of the oldest tricks around.... I don't see anyone giving anything back, here in Singapore, especially money, in my opinion.

And if you can do the assessment online, then why pay anyway? So Migration collect 4000$ for nothing :roll: I think the daunting situation comes when you never hear anything for months or years, and wonder why you paid the 2000$ in the first place.

Surely the whole process can be done, without their help, and if not, do you think, you should be qualified to immigrate? Just curious! If it's a yes, then I will submit the application for 1500$ :lol: :P and another 1500$ when you are accepted :)

how to do it by ourselves without agent?
thx

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:24 pm

cool_nich and Andy21,

You might save yourself and enormous amount of time and money if you simply use google;

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/

I am in full agreement with Ksl and a few others, why let people take your money for something you can do yourself? That stunt goes on here in Britain as well - rant over.

cool_nich
Regular
Regular

Postby cool_nich » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 2:52 pm

plyty,

do u applying ausie pr now?
what is the status?

cool_nich
Regular
Regular

Postby cool_nich » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 2:55 pm

do we need to pay also too much if apply by ourselves?
i saw yesterday more than AUD 2000
is it true?

andy21
Regular
Regular

Postby andy21 » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:31 am

Plavt wrote:cool_nich and Andy21,

You might save yourself and enormous amount of time and money if you simply use google;

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/

I am in full agreement with Ksl and a few others, why let people take your money for something you can do yourself? That stunt goes on here in Britain as well - rant over.

Situations differ from individual to individual. My sister has a 1.5 year old son, works from 8.30am to 7pm, and that's when she doesn't have to stay back for some meaningless meeting or other.

She tells me every single moment outside of the office is spent looking after her son (she does not hire a live-in, nor is her husband, umm, very useful around the house) she barely has any time to herself. I take her word for it.

It really isn't hard to see why she would rather be there than here. The government can blow every single statistic in the world to show you how wonderful you have it here, but it is clearly not the case for alot of people, for reasons that cannot be quantified in dollar values, something this government cannot see beyond.

I will certainly be doing it myself when the time comes.

KSL, give it a go then, it's very good money. :)

starrylove

Postby starrylove » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:40 am

cool_nich wrote:do we need to pay also too much if apply by ourselves?
i saw yesterday more than AUD 2000
is it true?

You can find the visa fees at http://www.immi.gov.au.

All the fees that agents charge is exluding the admin fees you have to pay the aussie govt.

It really isn't hard to see why she would rather be there than here. The government can blow every single statistic in the world to show you how wonderful you have it here, but it is clearly not the case for alot of people, for reasons that cannot be quantified in dollar values, something this government cannot see beyond.

I am not there yet, but I understand what you are saying about your sister. Many Singaporeans (and the Singapore govt) does not see anything beyond dollar values. This is why Singapore is what it is today - cold with rude citizens.

That aside, I heard that sponsors have to have a certain amount of money to sustain you while you are there. Do they just have to show the government that they have the money in the bank to support you? Or do they have to give it to the government? That is something I could not find on the internet. I have heard from some that the sponsor must give, while some say they only have to show the funds in the bank. Anyone knows?

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:11 pm

starrylove wrote:I am not there yet, but I understand what you are saying about your sister. Many Singaporeans (and the Singapore govt) does not see anything beyond dollar values. This is why Singapore is what it is today - cold with rude citizens.

That aside, I heard that sponsors have to have a certain amount of money to sustain you while you are there. Do they just have to show the government that they have the money in the bank to support you? Or do they have to give it to the government? That is something I could not find on the internet. I have heard from some that the sponsor must give, while some say they only have to show the funds in the bank. Anyone knows?

As of 4 years ago, the only financial requirement of your sponsors is that they cannot be on the dole. But that could have changed. You should be able to find this information on the very same website you referred cool_nich. It will be in one of the PDF booklets you can download.

Don't mean to be cold but please do thorough research rather than rely on hearsay and then come to a forum like this looking for verification. Otherwise you will find out the painful way that Aussies (or anyone for the matter) can be just as rude or money-minded as Singaporeans.
some signatures are more equal than others