Singapore Expats

my laptop is dead -

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
kawaisophia

my laptop is dead -

Post by kawaisophia » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 6:34 pm

Hey

I have a big problem with my laptop, it doesn't detect the drive at all. Don't know why... Anyway I'm looking for a place in Singapore where they can fix a Dell laptop since I would like to retrieve my data (pics especially).

If I can't fix it, I will buy another laptop. What are the best places to buy one?

thank you!
enjoy every moment in life...

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 7:50 pm

wonder down to funan or sim lim.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 1:12 am

durain wrote:wonder down to funan or sim lim.
You do that and I will wander down to Funan or Sim Lim :) while those durians wear off! The smell can be a little overpowering :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 2:47 am

It certainly sounds like a bad disk drive. How badly do you want your data and pics? Nobody at Sim Lim or Funan will be able to recover your data, only replace the drive. If you are willing to spend as much as $2,000 there is a company in town with a clean room that may be able to recover the data from the disk. No guarantees and no charge if they cannot but $2,000 if they can.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 3:35 am

ksl wrote:
You do that and I will wander down to Funan or Sim Lim :) while those durians wear off! The smell can be a little overpowering :)
i was wondering something wasnt right... :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 3:45 am

durain wrote:
ksl wrote:
i was wondering something wasnt right... :wink:
I often do that after my second beer :lol: OP I've got several laptop hard disks, it's not a big job, just time consuming, although getting your data is something else, if it is up the creek. I have known people to mess around with their laptops, until they have stopped working, like going into the BIOS setup utility and playing around, have you done this by any chance? Also how old is it?

kawaisophia

Post by kawaisophia » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:32 pm

never been into the Bios, but my laptop is approx 3 years, is that old? I also had some virus problems in the past. I don't use it a lot, I mean only for internet, watching movies, music, and storing pics.

Of course I won't spent 2000$ for my pics, I didn't know it was such a big problem. It happened so suddendly: I was chatting and getting files from a friend on skype while other programs were opened (internet, windowsmedia player, etc) and suddendly all the windows were blocked, not responding, and an error message appeared asking me to restart the computer. But when I did, a message shown up "Error, no drive detected" with a strange sound like a clock you know (tic, tic, tic).

I'll try to go to sim lim and see what they can do. Of course I cherish my pics, and all my music too...

If I buy an other laptop I will definitely buy an external drive to save my data. Or print the pics I like.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 5:33 pm

if you getting the tic-tic-tic noise from the hdd, then that is not a good sign. what you can do is to get a usb to hdd dongle. remove your hdd on the laptop and plug it into the dongle, then plug the other end into another computer to check if you can access the data on the hdd.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 6:30 pm

durain wrote:if you getting the tic-tic-tic noise from the hdd, then that is not a good sign. what you can do is to get a usb to hdd dongle. remove your hdd on the laptop and plug it into the dongle, then plug the other end into another computer to check if you can access the data on the hdd.

I new hard disk isn't that expensive, and your laptop 3 year old, well is borderline, I would buy a new hard disk, but first test the old one, the way durain said.

You maybe lucky to get at the files, Also get yourself an external drive, so you can backup all your pics and music, when you have it up and running.

kawaisophia

Post by kawaisophia » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 6:59 pm

thank you. I'll try that.

Dinoofsg

Post by Dinoofsg » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 2:14 am

Hi sophia, have you resolved your laptop problem?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 6:51 am

Dinoofsg wrote:Hi sophia, have you resolved your laptop problem?
\
Dinoofsg, are you having a blonde moment? That was over 4 months ago.

#-o

Course you might be dredging up old threads to advertise........... [-X
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers