Singapore Expats Forum

Parcel to South Africa

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

TXfour

Parcel to South Africa

Postby TXfour » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 3:41 pm

Is anyone going to be leaving Singapore to go back to South Africa in the near future? I have a parcel, about 30kg that I need to send to family in JHB. Can be shipped in a container if someone has space. No electronics or funny stuff, just clothing and similar items. Unfortunately, postage would run over S$1,000 !!

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 4:07 pm

Why would somebody want to take a parcel on your behalf since they will be held responsible for the contents? I certainly would not since whatever is in it is your responsibility and I somehow doubt if it is just clothing.

Best option get rid of some of it or all of it whichever is the most suitable option. :-k [-(

TXfour

Postby TXfour » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 5:05 pm

My aren't you the cynical one!!! Just full of opinions! Actually it is just excess clothing of my mothers that we bought with us when we moved here, hoping that my mother could take it back with her when she returned from her visit in Singapore. Unfortunately, Singapore Airline only allows one suitcase now, not two, like it was when she originally booked her ticket. Since she's a pensioner, not dripping in money, she would like to get these items! It's not worth a lot at all.

So, thank you for your unwanted and unecessary snide remarks! It seems that such remarks are becoming increasingly frequent on this forum - very sad and unfortunate!!! If you've nothing of any benefit to say - why say it???

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 5:18 pm

Singapore Airlines have always and still allow 2 suitcases to be checked in per passenger. I think you'll find it was the weight that was the issue.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 5:28 pm

Weight or otherwise the OP is asking somebody else to transport his belongings! Just in case the OP doesn't understand English: whenever you bring something into any country the customs hold that person responsible whether it belongs to them or not. Judging by the amount of clothing or whatever he/she mentions I doubt that whoever transports it is going to see what the contents are. The point is you are asking for strangers to assist; would you take a suitcase through customs on arrival at Changi airport simply because somebody asked you too? I, and I hope anybody else would want to see for themselves what is contained within innocent or not! Nothing snide, cynical or opinionated about that is there?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 6:07 pm

Plavt wrote:Why would somebody want to take a parcel on your behalf since they will be held responsible for the contents? I certainly would not since whatever is in it is your responsibility and I somehow doubt if it is just clothing.

Best option get rid of some of it or all of it whichever is the most suitable option. :-k [-(

Now, now, Plavt... pull your undies out of the crack. I'd consider it it I met the fellow, knew what he was like, and saw exactly what was going into my container. No bombs, no high grade pot (too bad). Just depends on what he was like.

As it were I have neither the container nor the destination. How much weight are you talking about?

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 6:38 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Plavt wrote:Why would somebody want to take a parcel on your behalf since they will be held responsible for the contents? I certainly would not since whatever is in it is your responsibility and I somehow doubt if it is just clothing.

Now, now, Plavt... pull your undies out of the crack. I'd consider it it I met the fellow, knew what he was like, and saw exactly what was going into my container. No bombs, no high grade pot (too bad). Just depends on what he was like.

As it were I have neither the container nor the destination. How much weight are you talking about?

Think the OP mentioned it was 30kg.

You would consider it if it were low grade keef? :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 6:41 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I'd consider it it I met the fellow, knew what he was like, and saw exactly what was going into my container.

That was my very point had you bothered to read what I said earlier. :roll:

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Postby Gilly » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 6:48 pm

I know people who thought they 'knew' people and are now in prison. Plavt makes a lot of sense. Just don't do it, unles they are lifelong friends or family. End of story. Sorry OP, but you can't expect that of anyone. BTW, 30kg is a lot of clothes for a warm climate.

TXfour

Postby TXfour » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 8:16 pm

OK. While it would be very easy for me to at this stage, I'm not going to get into pages of grand-standing and bad-mouthing each other on this topic, so I'm going to make my point and be done with it.
To clarify: I'm not an idiot! I DO NOT expect anyone to blindly take the items without examining them first and knowing what's in the box - that's only fair to other person offering to take it. And, I'm not asking someone to take it through the airport. I'm asking if someone is returning and can ship it along with their belongings in a container for me. We came here with a half-full container. If I had known of anyone needing to bring furniture, etc. across I would gladly have offered up some empty space. I was simply asking if anyone out there was in the same siutation. Secondly, it's not 30kg's worth of "warm weather clothing" - as I said we brought them with us from overseas. Contrary to sterotypical belief, it does actually get cold in Texas! I realize, it can be hard to imagine the temperature getting cold enough to have to wear sweaters and jackets!