Singapore Expats

Zebra Crossing - Pedestrian Crossing

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Zebra Crossing - Pedestrian Crossing

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 6:46 pm

what is the law with the zebra crossing? is it mandatory for the cars to stop for pedestrians? i have several around where i live - and know that a lot of people other than taxi drivers don't know to stop so i always wait til cars do. today i'm walking with my parents and my kid and this woman (expatriate) barely stops then sort of swerves then stops. we were still waiting so we didn't cross. when she did stop we go to cross and she's yelling at me that "this isn't manhattan anymore babe" (whatever that was supposed to mean). i yelled back that it was a pedestrian cross walk but she had already sped off. honestly i was pretty ticked off - mainly b/c we were waiting and not like we jumped into the road and then it was as if i was supposed to haul ass across with my parents and a stroller... so what's the deal? :o

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:14 pm

Vehicles are supposed to give way to pedestrians but that doesn't always happen. You have to be aware of what the cars are doing, no matter where the drivers come from.

It is recommended that you raise your arm with your hand vertical and face the palm towards the cars in order to indicate that you intend to cross the road. (I never did understand what this meant when I first came here, but it is what is taught and you will see lots of locals do it as they cross the road).
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:31 pm

micknlea wrote: It is recommended that you raise your arm with your hand vertical and face the palm towards the cars in order to indicate that you intend to cross the road. (I never did understand what this meant when I first came here, but it is what is taught and you will see lots of locals do it as they cross the road).
I've never seen that from anybody at the two crossing outside my apartment.

I get more ticked off that the pedestian kinda hovers around the end of the crossing like they are not sure whether to cross or not, making it difficult for the driver to decide to stop or go. It's harder to stop a car than to stop walking.

Usually at the very last minute they start to head out onto the crossing, crazy. Even a 20kph cars don't just stop.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 1:02 pm

Yes, it's mandatory that they stop and give way. Many don't. Clementi intersection where the MRT & Bus terminals are is a good example. I've taken to carrying my camera and put it on movie mode before I cross so that the drivers will think twice about having their registration plates video'd because invariably they will ignore even the crosswalk green man there. I've had some literally stand the car almost on the nose when they realize they might be being filmed. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 2:28 pm

Yes, I believe according to the road traffic law here the driver is supposed to stop for pedestrains. What I know from the driving test here (which is conducted by the Singapore Traffic Police), they are very strict on this matter and will immediately fail the test candidate if this rule is not obeyed.

The sad thing is after they pass the test, the drivers don't seem to care very much about zebra crossings.

Also enforcement is very lax. My friends tell me they've not heard of any driver being cited for not stopping at the zebra crossing. The most common driving offences here are for parking, speeding and beating the red light (mostly from cameras) I gather.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 5:10 pm

How many traffic police (or police in general for that matter) do you actually see on the streets and roads? Not a huge amount.

They generally catch people when there is a machine in place that does it for them automatically.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 5:30 pm

SMS will correct me, but from what I understand in the US most crossing are controlled by lights, there is no zebra crossing as we know it in the UK where in theory you should be able to step out with your eyes shut.

The zebra crossing near Tanglin mall, people stand there in the shade waiting for the main pelican crossing to turn green, before stepping out, which means lots of cars stop for them and they don't cross. :mad:

Another thing that took a while to get used to here, The green crossing man comes on at the same time as the green for turning cars, so you always have to keep an eye out for some drift king wannbe trying to zip in front or between pedestrians crossing on the green light.

While on the subject, another odd thing, in the UK when some flashes thier lights at you it generally means they are letting you out of the junction, here its means the total opposite. (have to admit the local flash is less prone for misinterpretation.)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 6:22 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
micknlea wrote: It is recommended that you raise your arm with your hand vertical and face the palm towards the cars in order to indicate that you intend to cross the road. (I never did understand what this meant when I first came here, but it is what is taught and you will see lots of locals do it as they cross the road).
I've never seen that from anybody at the two crossing outside my apartment.

I get more ticked off that the pedestian kinda hovers around the end of the crossing like they are not sure whether to cross or not, making it difficult for the driver to decide to stop or go. It's harder to stop a car than to stop walking.

Usually at the very last minute they start to head out onto the crossing, crazy. Even a 20kph cars don't just stop.
You don't see that sign from people? I have always sort of laughed at it as it seems that this "magic" hand and its powers are used to stop the traffic, er not just on crossing but everywhere :roll: Now that I know it is actually taught to people I feel a bit more forgiving about it. :wink:

Agree with you on the stop/start/hover bit, but then it is all a bit of a guessing game and when most of the cars don't stop I think I would be a bit hesitant as well. I have taught my boys to be really careful and look both ways no matter what the lights say and where they are crossing, hopefully they have taken note of what I say.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 6:23 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
but see this is the dilemma... why would you get ticked off if it's an area for pedestrians to cross? isn't that what the crossing is for? the pedestrian hovers b/c they are not sure you are going to stop. and since most people don't know to stop - why would you be ticked off that the pedestrian decided to wait until you did stop.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 6:28 pm

with the "hand thing" - when i was living in london and my mom would come visit she would do that gesture at the zebra crossings. i used to just laugh and shake my head thinking - that hand isn't going to do much when it's waving from the bottom of the car! now that we live here i've been doing that hand bit a lot more. especially in front of glen eagles. i seriously have about 4 of those crossings on my walk to school and i usually wait for the cars to wave me on. i have NO problem if a car is speeding though and doesn't stop b/c i'm not standing there. my problem is when they are rolling through and expect me to run across with a 4 yr old in tow.

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 8:44 pm

Personally I find the hand-thing useful. At least you know for sure the person intends to cross.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 9:55 pm

It is recommended that you raise your arm with your hand vertical and face the palm towards the cars in order to indicate that you intend to cross the road.
I've seen it often, it's so funny, something my old mum would do :lol: I hav this vision of Benny Hill picking himself up after the car runs over him, UK sick humour I guess! and 20 points to the driver.

Actually drivers here, are very bad, the worst I have seen and I'm afraid, I can occasionally be just as rude to them too, if they don't give way, I will cut in. It is also legal at a zebra crossing to drive around the back of the pedestrian as they are passing the vehicle here, not in the UK.
Last edited by ksl on Sat, 19 Jul 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 9:56 pm

I find the camera or mobile phone with camera works even better as loss of money is about the only thing they really understand. And the also know Ang Moh's are crazy enough to no only take a picture but to actually persue the matter. Works a treat for me. The devil with Stomp (but that can work as well).

QRM, I hear you on the drift kings! :P See 'em every day at the AMK MRT intersection at the other end of my daily rail sojourn.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:02 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote: I get more ticked off that the pedestian kinda hovers around the end of the crossing like they are not sure whether to cross or not, making it difficult for the driver to decide to stop or go. It's harder to stop a car than to stop walking.

are you kidding me? if its the law, surely there is no decision to be made here. pedestrian waiting to cross = stop the car.

i'm guessing that the pedestrian is well aware that it is harder to stop a car....hence the hesitation.

I've never seen such a mass of rubbish drivers as i have in singapore.

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:13 pm

What about the drivers in Malaysia?

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”