Singapore Expats

Appliances, Voltage, Frequency

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
wxlee

Appliances, Voltage, Frequency

Post by wxlee » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:03 pm

I'm moving from the US to Singapore at the end of July. I've been living overseas so I have appliances that are from US (120V/60Hz) and Korea (220V/60Hz).

My understanding is that Singapore is 230V/50Hz, so all items will require a transformer. Also, the DVD region is different and the TVs are PAL.

I would appreciate any advice on whether to bring appliances or sell and bring new ones (or combination). Buying sounds okay, but with the US$ being so weak, I would incur a significant "FX loss" if I'm to buy.

Thx in advance.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:11 pm

you can get a step-down transformer but they are not for long term use. what stuff you thinking of bringing? a TV is defo no good as singapore is PAL. dont worry about the fx loss. electrical goods are not expensive in singapore.

wxlee

Post by wxlee » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm thinking of bringing:
1. One TV and DVD player. I'm selling/giving away the rest. I figured I would need one to watch all the DVDs I have accumulated in US format over the years.
2. Washer (This is a drum so I know it requires a pretty big transformer)
3. Dryer (gas but would also need a transformer to run it)
4. Fridge
5. Dehumidifier (normally I would give this away, but with the humidity situation in Singapore, thought it might help)

#2 and 4 are from Korea. All others are from US.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:28 pm

I guess you will be renting a place in Singapore so 99% of places will come with white goods included.

You can buy multi regional DVD players in Singapore as well

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:33 pm

Yep whitegoods - fridge, washer, dryer, and if you negotiate, an electronic dishwaser (as distinct from the manual ones) com eincluded in most rentals for expats here.

HTH, P

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:42 pm

chuck out your white goods and buy whatever you need in singapore. the beauty of moving to singapore is to spend spend spend. :P

p/s have a look at www.courts.com.sg for a rough price guide on the bits you might need to buy, etc.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 1:43 am

durain wrote:chuck out your white goods and buy whatever you need in singapore. the beauty of moving to singapore is to spend spend spend. :P

durain, maybe we all don't want to spend all our money if we getting a container for free.
:cry:

p/s have a look at www.courts.com.sg for a rough price guide on the bits you might need to buy, etc.
Zeenit

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 1:52 am

yes, i know about the free container thing. seems so wasted if the container is not full up! 40feet container is MASSIVE!

but it is also a bit of a juggling act. if you ship the fridge and then the property you are renting comes with one and there's no space for it, what you gonna do? unless you know you are renting an empty shell, then defo bring every single thing, but still subject to the voltage thing.

JamieW

Re: Appliances, Voltage, Frequency

Post by JamieW » Sun, 03 Aug 2008 8:08 pm

Hi there,
I've just moved back from the States recently and moved quite alot of my appliances back. In the end, I found out that it's a whole lot of hassle whereby I can get reasonable priced appliances here. However, I found this store called Sung Fo Co. at Kelantan Road near Jalan Besar Road selling transformers which I used to convert my voltage. They have other products too, like lightings and water heaters. The prices are very reasonable and staffs are pretty helpful. Hope that helps.
-James

wxlee wrote:I'm moving from the US to Singapore at the end of July. I've been living overseas so I have appliances that are from US (120V/60Hz) and Korea (220V/60Hz).

My understanding is that Singapore is 230V/50Hz, so all items will require a transformer. Also, the DVD region is different and the TVs are PAL.

I would appreciate any advice on whether to bring appliances or sell and bring new ones (or combination). Buying sounds okay, but with the US$ being so weak, I would incur a significant "FX loss" if I'm to buy.

Thx in advance.