Singapore Expats Forum

Visitor's Visa for Hong Kong

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lord falkland

Visitor's Visa for Hong Kong

Postby lord falkland » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 7:07 pm

Was planning to go to Hong Kong for a holiday...just wanted to know if the visitor's visa can be obtained on-arrival in Hong Kong itself...or should it be done in Singapore itself

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 7:18 pm

Visa on arrival

lord falkland

Postby lord falkland » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 8:05 pm

cool...thanx :)

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Postby kaseyma » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:26 pm

Though the reply is essentially correct (assuming you are from The Falklands or some Commonwealth country), you really should check directly with more authoritative sources, such as:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm

There's no excuse given the power of search engines like Google.

positano
Regular
Regular

Postby positano » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:19 am

FYI I contacted the consular section of the Chinese Embassy in Singapore yesterday and they advised me that if I stay in Hong Kong for less than 90 days, I do not need a visa to enter. However, if I plan to enter China at any point in my journey, I must apply for a visa before my trip.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:31 am

Typically you can get a China Visa in Hong Kong within a few hours if you apply for it in the morning, its very easy......China Travel Services Ltd. This is what i do most times because going to the embassy here is a mess.

The problem at the moment and for the next few months is that visa restrictions are much tougher and rules have changed in the lead up to the olympics. It's not as easy now. I think to get a visa for the next few months you have to show proof of a return air ticket plus a hotel reservation.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 1:52 pm

Latest intel has it that even local Expats from Singapore currently in China are having their Visa's cancelled and being deported temporarily from China in a typical display of myopic behaviour in the Olympic runup. Even though the hotels are only about 1/3'd booked and more and more pulling out daily. I think they are really shooting themselves in the foot.

Again.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 7:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Latest intel has it that even local Expats from Singapore currently in China are having their Visa's cancelled and being deported temporarily from China in a typical display of myopic behaviour in the Olympic runup. Even though the hotels are only about 1/3'd booked and more and more pulling out daily. I think they are really shooting themselves in the foot.
Again.

Yup, a couple of friends working in China had that happen to them in the last couple months. While annoying, it sorta makes sense from the position of the Chinese government. It's an opportunity to flush out and re-screen expats, in light of a world event. Not that I'm agreeing with that kind of micromanagement but it's a far more courageous step than most would take. *coughsingaporecough*
some signatures are more equal than others

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 9:47 pm

Yes have the same with some friends there - their opinion is the same, Bananas - they just want to re-vett. They are using it as an excuse for a holiday, so from their personal perspective, they don't mind.

HTH, P

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:28 pm

Paid one as well! Wish I had the foresight to work in China before this! :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 9:21 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:Yes have the same with some friends there - their opinion is the same, Bananas - they just want to re-vett. They are using it as an excuse for a holiday, so from their personal perspective, they don't mind.

HTH, P

Until they have been "re-vetted" and declined another visa then it's no longer a holiday..... its potientially unemployment.