Singapore Expats Forum

Chances of finding an IT job with little experience?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

kev
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 10 Jul 2008

Re: Chances of finding an IT job with little experience?

Postby kev » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 3:34 pm

ksl wrote:
If you are already in Korea, your chance maybe even better, but you do need to contact the trade office, they will have contact with Korean MNC operating in Singapore, with your native English, being a strong point, to gain entry.

I do know smaller Korean companies here, that are struggling to survive because of a lack of English skills, and are only serving the Korean consumers, because of it. Good Luck! Work experience in any field will benefit you, be sure of that, a jack of all trades is much more of an asset, if you are a quick learner, so I wouldn't worry so much with IT career at the present. That will come!


That's good to know. I wouldn't have a problem doing a job more based on language skills than IT, so I'll look into this in more detail!

And thanks for the suggestion, freecat, but even if this all somehow worked out well, I wouldn't be going for at least a year anyway! Glad there might be something out there occasionally, although I'm not getting my hopes up too much, heh :)

User avatar
kimtaymour
Regular
Regular
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon, 14 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby kimtaymour » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 3:48 pm

WO WO WO... SMS and Saint you huys are striking on me heh I was busy could go to this thread and when i come and see its killing

well abt the Weight thingy in that thread it say how to lose weight nothign was written its a nobese case or whatsoever... again in this thread i have never provided any wrong infos because i know its not write.. I said the truth.. MoM doesn't select people based on the universities that they recognize and that one YOU SMS said it in previous post.. and naitonality is nothing not a big deal .. simply true
Best Record with the Most EP Rejected

User avatar
krptykcookies
Regular
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed, 23 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Re: Chances of finding an IT job with little experience?

Postby krptykcookies » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 6:02 pm

kev wrote:Thanks, krptykcookies. Interesting, I dunno if I'd fare any better trying to find work in KL, but I'll give it a look!

Saint, on the bright side, there's nothing I'd have to give up in the UK, or anywhere else. I'm working on a year's contract, which I'd finish up before leaving, and the only major thing I own is a car which I'm intending to sell regardless.

Plavt wrote:Kev,
Here's something posted by Strong Eagle but whether or not it is any use to yourself I don't know.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/su ... ht=#333751


Yep, that may be useful, thanks.

Thanks everyone. It may mostly be bad news, but hey, at least I know now :)


An alternative which you can try for IT jobs is to look out for the smaller companies. These companies are normally owned by locals and are constantly hiring. I hear they are not really popular amongst S'poreans due to a lot of reasons. However this can serve as a starting point for yourself to something, perhaps, bigger and better.

I personally know of someone who left her bank manager job in her own country to work for a smaller company, and for a lower level than her previous role and lesser pay and this person is in the 40s. The company that this person is working for is a small company who's constantly looking out for people but apparently I found out that he's having a hard time looking out for people to work for him.
Cool as cool can be

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 6:20 pm

Kev,
I have just remembered something, again written by Strong Eagle. There is a lot of Korea documents (what I don't know) that need translating in Singapore. One can presume these will be relating to commerce and law and may include patents. With your ability in the Korean language, I suggest you investigate it further. A further feather in your cap is the rarity of people who have any knowledge of the language. Could you PM me please, I might need your help with something thanks.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 6:29 pm

kimtaymour wrote:WO WO WO... SMS and Saint you huys are striking on me heh I was busy could go to this thread and when i come and see its killing

well abt the Weight thingy in that thread it say how to lose weight nothign was written its a nobese case or whatsoever... again in this thread i have never provided any wrong infos because i know its not write.. I said the truth.. MoM doesn't select people based on the universities that they recognize and that one YOU SMS said it in previous post.. and naitonality is nothing not a big deal .. simply true


Your current standard of English gives me and I hope others reason enough not to trust any advice coming from you! :o The 'weighty thing' is irrelevant to information requested by the OP. Furthermore is not a question of 'the MOM selecting people based on the Universities they attended.' :roll: The crux of the matter is whether or not an employer can justify employing a foreigner over a local - is that so hard to understand? :roll:
Last edited by Plavt on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Chances of finding an IT job with little experience?

Postby Plavt » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 6:33 pm

krptykcookies wrote:
An alternative which you can try for IT jobs is to look out for the smaller companies. These companies are normally owned by locals and are constantly hiring. I hear they are not really popular amongst S'poreans due to a lot of reasons. However this can serve as a starting point for yourself to something, perh


The employer will still have to justify employing a foreigner over a local. Somebody may correct me if I am wrong but I doubt if lack of interest by locals will be a justification. The company Advanced Flat Panel Displays had problems recruiting Singaporeans simply because it involved night-shift that many Singaporeans are unwilling to work.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 7:36 pm

kimtaymour wrote:WO WO WO... SMS and Saint you huys are striking on me heh I was busy could go to this thread and when i come and see its killing

well abt the Weight thingy in that thread it say how to lose weight nothign was written its a nobese case or whatsoever... again in this thread i have never provided any wrong infos because i know its not write.. I said the truth.. MoM doesn't select people based on the universities that they recognize and that one YOU SMS said it in previous post.. and naitonality is nothing not a big deal .. simply true


The 'weighty thing' is irrelevant to information requested by the OP. Furthermore is not a question of 'the MOM selecting people based on the Universities they attended.' :roll: The crux of the matter is whether or not an employer can justify employing a foreigner over a local - is that so hard to understand? :roll:

Ps: Your written English in no way inspires anybody to take notice of what you say.

User avatar
krptykcookies
Regular
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed, 23 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Re: Chances of finding an IT job with little experience?

Postby krptykcookies » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 9:43 pm

Plavt wrote:
krptykcookies wrote:
An alternative which you can try for IT jobs is to look out for the smaller companies. These companies are normally owned by locals and are constantly hiring. I hear they are not really popular amongst S'poreans due to a lot of reasons. However this can serve as a starting point for yourself to something, perh


The employer will still have to justify employing a foreigner over a local. Somebody may correct me if I am wrong but I doubt if lack of interest by locals will be a justification. The company Advanced Flat Panel Displays had problems recruiting Singaporeans simply because it involved night-shift that many Singaporeans are unwilling to work.


I speak from experience on this person that I personally know. As for justifying to the MOM I am not sure how it's done but I do know that in this person's case her EP took less than 2 weeks for approval and without even an offer letter being signed yet from her end. It was only when this person came on board and 3 weeks into the job it was then that the offer letter was handed over.

There are unfortunately more non-S'poreans working with this organisation that this person is working for. So maybe that is the reason why it's easy for the owner of this business to hire non-S'poreans.
Cool as cool can be

User avatar
kimtaymour
Regular
Regular
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon, 14 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby kimtaymour » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 9:48 pm

PLAVT - my mistake , i there are alots of typo mistake on my previous post.. i just realized that ;)

Anyway i understand what you meant because SMS already told me that the Employer have to justify why would the company take a foreigner instead of a local..
Also many people think that my university is recognized by the Mom i can get my EP , or S pass for sure.. which is not the case everytime..

I remember there is this guy who posted that his EP got rejected eventhough he provided all the required document..he mentioned : my degree is form a university recognized by hte Mom how can my EP is rejected"... thats what i simply mean

Hey Plavt I am fluent in french and arabic.. need somthing here ? :lol:
Best Record with the Most EP Rejected

kev
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 10 Jul 2008

Postby kev » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:39 am

Thanks again guys, lots of useful stuff here!

User avatar
krptykcookies
Regular
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed, 23 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Re: Chances of finding an IT job with little experience?

Postby krptykcookies » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:40 am

krptykcookies wrote:
kev wrote:Thanks, krptykcookies. Interesting, I dunno if I'd fare any better trying to find work in KL, but I'll give it a look!

Saint, on the bright side, there's nothing I'd have to give up in the UK, or anywhere else. I'm working on a year's contract, which I'd finish up before leaving, and the only major thing I own is a car which I'm intending to sell regardless.

Plavt wrote:Kev,
Here's something posted by Strong Eagle but whether or not it is any use to yourself I don't know.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/su ... ht=#333751


Yep, that may be useful, thanks.

Thanks everyone. It may mostly be bad news, but hey, at least I know now :)


An alternative which you can try for IT jobs is to look out for the smaller companies. These companies are normally owned by locals and are constantly hiring. I hear they are not really popular amongst S'poreans due to a lot of reasons. However this can serve as a starting point for yourself to something, perhaps, bigger and better.

I personally know of someone who left her bank manager job in her own country to work for a smaller company, and for a lower level than her previous role and lesser pay and this person is in the 40s. The company that this person is working for is a small company who's constantly looking out for people but apparently I found out that he's having a hard time looking out for people to work for him.


I just want to add to the above.

Even though this can be one of the many alternatives there is a catch. The employment rules for working with these local-owned companies are 'loose' - meaning there are high risks involved. For example in one of the threads on this forum deals with someone who got blacklisted upon resigning from his company. I do know that local-owned companies are capable of these sort of actions.

The other thing, and this is from experience, is the termination terms and conditions - they are in favour of the organisation.

So if you do decide to work for local-owned organisations do read and re-read the terms and conditions of the contract before committing yourself to them. My advice - walk in with eyes wide open.
Cool as cool can be

kev
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 10 Jul 2008

Re: Chances of finding an IT job with little experience?

Postby kev » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 9:40 pm

krptykcookies wrote:
I just want to add to the above.

Even though this can be one of the many alternatives there is a catch. The employment rules for working with these local-owned companies are 'loose' - meaning there are high risks involved. For example in one of the threads on this forum deals with someone who got blacklisted upon resigning from his company. I do know that local-owned companies are capable of these sort of actions.

The other thing, and this is from experience, is the termination terms and conditions - they are in favour of the organisation.

So if you do decide to work for local-owned organisations do read and re-read the terms and conditions of the contract before committing yourself to them. My advice - walk in with eyes wide open.


Heh. Sounds like Korea... except for the blacklisting thing, that'd be a worry! Is it common for people to get blacklisted?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35175
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:32 pm

krptykcookies,

Very good observation. And spot on as well.

However, some MNC's here aren't much better because the HR departments, including the Managers therein, are often local as are usually most mid-level managers.

So, just to add my 2¢ worth, walk into any employment here in Singapore with both eyes open and in observation mode and not pie-in-the-sky mode.

sms

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35175
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:38 pm

kev,

Blacklisting happens, yes. How prevalent it is is another thing. We know it happens but generally most that have been blacklisted go home and don't try to fight it so we don't actually have any idea how wide-spread the practice is. However, I, as an HR Manager, know very well how vindictive my own boss can be (local), and I think that it goes without saying that most local bosses are the same as it seems to be part and parcel to their fundamental make-up here. It's like you wanting to get ahead is a personal affront to them and they don't realize that their pay packages and working conditions actually makes people want to leave. I've been butting my head for the past couple of years with this problem though several local employer (and they have all been the same - local SME owners that still hold active position in the companies that they helm.

Of course, the new employee that the company does all the work to give them a leg up in Singapore should also have the grace to work at least till their initial employment pass is up for renewal. Otherwise, unless the workplace is totally shite, it does appear that the employee is rather ungrateful and that I can see. I lose so many "S" pass holder after 6 months when they get their PR that it's almost funny. But it's good because my boss & I often wager on the time before they apply for PR and how long after getting their PR before they submit their notice (in days not months). :cool: (I usually win)

Good Luck......

SMS

kev
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 10 Jul 2008

Postby kev » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:18 am

Cheers for the heads up, but assuming one does go through the contract with a fine toothed comb, make sure it's all good, do the bosses usually stick to the contracts? Or are there a lot of bosses who kind of treat contracts like a list of things that would happen in ideal circumstances, but in reality... :lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests