Singapore Expats Forum

SPR approved but now retrenched

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Zuex
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri, 28 Apr 2006

SPR approved but now retrenched

Postby Zuex » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 1:07 am

My SPR has just been approved.
Recently I have been retrenched.

Based on www.ica.gov.sg, I MUST make a REP & IC when i collect my SPR - both of which requires employment statements from employer which i cannot produce.

Can I still obtain my SPR? Is there any other way? Pls advise. Thank you.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 7:18 am

Was you SPR approved on the Technical & Skilled Scheme, or on the Family Ties Scheme. If the latter, shouldn't be a problem. If the former, I would suggest a call to ICA as that may be outside our purview unless one of our readers knows, for a fact, the procedure in this case.

sms

Zuex
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri, 28 Apr 2006

Postby Zuex » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:14 am

My SPR was applied on Techincal & Skilled Professional Scheme.
I need to collect my SPR within this month & my green card provided by my company expires during the same time too. *not sure if the green card is valid as i do not work for the company anymore

Was thinking if being employed in Singapore within this period of time will remedy the problem.

Tried calling the ICA hotline but have could not reach anyone execpt the answering machine requesting to hold the line - can get pretty expensive if you're calling from abroad.

Thanks for your commets.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 9:39 am

Why wasn't your green card surrendered when you left your old job? That is required by law. You not surrendering it may have impacted any bargaining chips you may have had. You indicate that you are no longer in Singapore. Has a tax clearance been properly filed by your old employer? Did you even leave the country legally (e.g., with tax clearance). Something doesn't sound right here or I'm missing something.......

julesdom
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 29 Oct 2005

Postby julesdom » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 1:14 pm

Have a question regarding PR application guys.

I applied for PR last month. My current employer knows that I applied since I humbly requested them to sign the necessary supporting documents. However, I have been considered for a new job for another company (but haven't started working yet pending EP application results).

My question is: Do I need to inform ICA that I will be joining a new company which is different from the one I indicated during my PR application?

Any response is very much appreciated. Thanks!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 5:42 pm

It would be a good idea to keep the status quo until you have gotten your PR approved. After that.......

That is what usually happens. Once you get your PR you can leave your employer upon serving notice. I lose a lot of staff after 6 months if they are Regional S Pass holders as they work 4 months, apply for PR, get it in 2 or three months and resign to find themselves a job at market rates. (can't get my boss to pay market rates for the life of me!) :x

The employer doesn't even have to sign a sponsorship form anymore. The gene pool is so stagnant here that they are doing anything to get fresh blood to fuel the NS bodycount. :P

julesdom
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 29 Oct 2005

Postby julesdom » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 6:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It would be a good idea to keep the status quo until you have gotten your PR approved. After that.......

That is what usually happens. Once you get your PR you can leave your employer upon serving notice. I lose a lot of staff after 6 months if they are Regional S Pass holders as they work 4 months, apply for PR, get it in 2 or three months and resign to find themselves a job at market rates. (can't get my boss to pay market rates for the life of me!) :x

The employer doesn't even have to sign a sponsorship form anymore. The gene pool is so stagnant here that they are doing anything to get fresh blood to fuel the NS bodycount. :P


Thanks for your kind response sundaymorningstaple. You mean I will not inform ICA of my change of employer until my PR application is approved?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:18 pm

No, I mean stay at your current employer until you receive it. Don't forget, MOM has levy records that can be accessed by ICA (should they want to). Also, if you leave your current employer a Tax Clearance may possiblly be required. Again, Whether or not IRAS or MOM notifies ICA about these changes to foreign nationals who come through ICA to get into Singapore is anybody's guess but I would guess it would not be a big deal as I use my SingPass to access all government sites in Singapore. No big deal. Matter of fact I normally know when somebody received their PR or an approval for another S or EP just by having my HR Exec go the the EPOnline site and plugging in the employee's FIN number (don't even need the name). If there is an approved or pending IPA it will tell me. I have her do it every Saturday Morning as it's a slow day for us. Half of my 200+ staff are on WP's or S passes.

julesdom
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 29 Oct 2005

Postby julesdom » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 8:12 am

Oh my.....I think I will have a problem then. ](*,) #-o ](*,) I already accepted the job offer of my future employer and they are currently applying EP for me. And my PR application is surely in process right now as I filed the application last month.

Don't know what to do now. Whether I should inform ICA about this change of employer on not. Any suggestion? :oops:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:04 am

If you have already done the change then there isn't much you can do about it except wait it out. If the new EP is given I hope you told your new employer about the PR application - otherwise they might not appreciate having to pay CPF. When you were hired they knew you would be on fixed levy so may get a bit miffed at immediately having to pay CPF.

Once you get the EP approved (assuming it is) then I would think the best thing would be to get a new annex A filled out and submit it to ICA to replace the previous one by the old employer.

Or, it may well be immaterial seeing how much they have relaxed the PR standards now days and are letting darn near anybody who is still breathing in as they are trying to combat the graying population and Singaporeans don't like to have babies (at least according to the latest Durex survey) :wink: The reason they let some many have PR is that's because PR's sons who are 2nd Generation PR's are subject to do National Service.

julesdom
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 29 Oct 2005

Postby julesdom » Sat, 12 Jul 2008 12:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you have already done the change then there isn't much you can do about it except wait it out. If the new EP is given I hope you told your new employer about the PR application - otherwise they might not appreciate having to pay CPF. When you were hired they knew you would be on fixed levy so may get a bit miffed at immediately having to pay CPF.

Once you get the EP approved (assuming it is) then I would think the best thing would be to get a new annex A filled out and submit it to ICA to replace the previous one by the old employer.

Or, it may well be immaterial seeing how much they have relaxed the PR standards now days and are letting darn near anybody who is still breathing in as they are trying to combat the graying population and Singaporeans don't like to have babies (at least according to the latest Durex survey) :wink: The reason they let some many have PR is that's because PR's sons who are 2nd Generation PR's are subject to do National Service.


Thanks again for your kind reply sundaymorningstaple. :)

User avatar
kimtaymour
Regular
Regular
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon, 14 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby kimtaymour » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:32 am

Very Very usefull information out here splendid Thread
Best Record with the Most EP Rejected

User avatar
yogibabe
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun, 28 Jan 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby yogibabe » Thu, 31 Jul 2008 6:14 pm

Zuex wrote:My SPR was applied on Techincal & Skilled Professional Scheme.
I need to collect my SPR within this month & my green card provided by my company expires during the same time too. *not sure if the green card is valid as i do not work for the company anymore

Was thinking if being employed in Singapore within this period of time will remedy the problem.

Tried calling the ICA hotline but have could not reach anyone execpt the answering machine requesting to hold the line - can get pretty expensive if you're calling from abroad.

Thanks for your commets.


hope this is not too late. the same thing happened to my guru few years back. his pr approval came in shortly after he left our ex-employer. if you can find a new employer within the expiry period, you can still bring the new employment contract and continue with pr process :) good luck.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest