Singapore Expats

Expat commuting to work from Johor Bahru

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
observe

Post by observe » Sun, 02 Jan 2011 7:13 pm

Below is definitely a good news for those who are residing in Johor. USD2.5 billion invested to make Malaysia a safe place to live and work.

Dramatic results in tackling crime have already been achieved with lower levels being seen in the most serious categories. The biggest drop has been in street crime, which fell by 38.7% between January and March 2010, compared with the same period last year, while domestic crime fell by 15.3% over the same period. Malaysia now has lower burglary rates than Brunei and Japan and lower levels of assault than Brunei and South Korea
http://www.gcdmedini.com/report/no-offe ... e-and-work

syamsulstar

Post by syamsulstar » Sat, 08 Jan 2011 11:51 pm

This thread is really informative. Thanks everyone. I just moved in to a 2+1 hdb flat in ang mo kio. The rent is unbelievably high it makes me want to consider renting in JB and commute daily to work. my work place is by Raffles Place MRT station. i m not familiar with either jb or sg yet. I ve heard daily commute during peak hours is really bad, but since a lot of people are doing it, I thought maybe it is not as bad as it sounds??? I have to be at Raffles Place MRT station by 8:20AM (as it takes roughly 10 minutes to walk to my office from the train station). So by what time do i have to leave for work? Would really appreciate any tips/comments from anyone. Thanks a lot. cheers!

Bayam Trees

Post by Bayam Trees » Sun, 09 Jan 2011 12:37 am

Singaporean staying in Horizon Hills, Nusajaya take an hour to Raffles by car via 2nd link. Usually leave around 6am.
Bayam Trees

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:35 pm

Please delete your post, this forum is not for advertising, especially.not for property...... Tic ... Toc.... Tic ...toc....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:35 am

Ya gotta luv it when the former advertiser becomes the hunter! :lol: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 3:19 am

Avida wrote:If you have bought a place and settle down in Nusajaya, good for you and thank you for supporting the Malaysian people in achieving development and off-setting whatever public funds that has been dumped into the Iskandar project.

If you are still considering it, do take note of the following:

- Gated community does not equal safe. In Malaysia, even the security guards can rob you and plot with outsiders to rob your house. Firms providing security services can be easily set-up. There is no governing body to regulate their numbers and firms most of them don't check their employee background.

- We, the people of Malaysia have reason to believe that the police force and the organised crime syndicate are in cahoots, especially on how a recent crime warlord was reprimanded in Johor but let off without prosecution. Also the fact that 1 police inspector and 1 constable used C4 explosives to blow up a Mongolian woman. Just exercise more caution when dealing with the police.

- The ruling government headed by the United Malay National Organisation uses race rhetoric to garner support. What has this got to do with you, an expat. Well we just find it strange that in rallies, the politicians will shout about Malay supremacy, Malays living in poverty, how Malays are losing customary lands to the Chinese/ Singaporeans/ Expats. But here you have the government selling off chunks of land to private investors. 40 years ago the same government used the same strategy - divide and conquer. Today they are still planting that seed into the minds of people who are ignorant and gullible. Racial tension is easily ignited in Malaysia. Angry mobs can be persuaded to take matters into their own hands - take back what is rightfully theirs

There is an underlining understanding amongst Malaysians that peace is a fragile commodity. You say and write the wrong thing, they put you away without trial for a long time. You become a threat to national security.
Crime is really not that bad in JB. The media hypes up everything. Just keep your money in the bank and you will be alright. The main issue is travelling time. You take 2 hours to get to work and another 2 hours to get home from work, you hardly have time to eat and bathe and relax after that.

And another issue is that JB is a boring city. There is nothing much to do and public transport in JB leaves much to be desired. It is quite dirty as well.

Save yourself the headache and just live in Spore for Christ's sake.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 4:11 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ya gotta luv it when the former advertiser becomes the hunter! :lol: :cool:

It's a beautiful thing man 8-) :lol:

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ya gotta luv it when the former advertiser becomes the hunter! :lol: :cool:
Hey SMS, did i do the tic toc tic toc thing correctly....? :D
BTW.... Men are Hunters or in this case Hunters are Men.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:30 pm

This board become infectious doesn't it! The longer one is here, the more protective one becomes. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 1:05 pm

Yes it does, but i am not afraid of it getting infectious, Ba Dah Bing!! :D

jasonwong77

Post by jasonwong77 » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 9:43 pm

Bayam Trees wrote:Singaporean staying in Horizon Hills, Nusajaya take an hour to Raffles by car via 2nd link. Usually leave around 6am.
hello,

i am Malaysian SPR and interested in living in JB and work in SG.
any tips on retaining my PR and resident tax (183day rule).

thanks,
jw

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 2:12 pm

jasonwong77 wrote:
Bayam Trees wrote:Singaporean staying in Horizon Hills, Nusajaya take an hour to Raffles by car via 2nd link. Usually leave around 6am.
hello,

i am Malaysian SPR and interested in living in JB and work in SG.
any tips on retaining my PR and resident tax (183day rule).

thanks,
jw
You sound really fishy to me. On the other post you said you are from Th. I am assuming you meant Thailand. Now you say you are a Malaysian SPR. I am assuming a Malaysian holding a Singapore PR.

Who are you really?

jasonwong77

Post by jasonwong77 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 2:57 pm

i am mix my(dad) and th(mom).
i am born malaysian but brought up in thailand.

hope it clears the confusion. :)

anyway, it seems that the 183 day tax resident doesn't specify u need to stay in SG, its just that you need to be physically there.
so going there to work during the day and return to johor at night is counted as being physically in sg.

still 1 more question to answer which is the SPR status (address updating)
still not sure if can update a foreign address or not.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 4:22 pm

jasonwong77 wrote:i am mix my(dad) and th(mom).
i am born malaysian but brought up in thailand.

hope it clears the confusion. :)

anyway, it seems that the 183 day tax resident doesn't specify u need to stay in SG, its just that you need to be physically there.
so going there to work during the day and return to johor at night is counted as being physically in sg.

still 1 more question to answer which is the SPR status (address updating)
still not sure if can update a foreign address or not.
Oh IC. :)

Regarding the 183 days Tax resident rule. This is what the rule says:

If you are here for 183 days in a year
Under our tax residency rules, you will be regarded as a tax resident if you stay or work in Singapore for at least 183 days in a calendar year. The number of days in Singapore include weekends and public holidays.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=6140

By "stay or work" . The stay part is fine. But how can you work here and not stay here unless you stay in JB or Batam and travel daily? I feel that as long as you are employed in Singapore for 183 day, it means you "Work" here. You may stay in the US and work from home and still you will be considered a tax resident. Thats how I interpret it. Any comments?

jasonwong77

Post by jasonwong77 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:49 pm

yup that is what i plan to do. jb <--> sg daily to and fro.

you have a point.
the rules doesn't even say u have to be physically there.
maybe i was ahead of myself on that.

working physically in sg or remotely is still work.
so its rather if u are employed and paid by a singaporean entity for 183 days of work, you are resident tax.

if thats the case then that is more clear now.
thanks! :)

how about the updating the address to a foreign address?
any ideas?