Singapore Expats

Singapore policy on common-in-law marriages

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Ankefs

Singapore policy on common-in-law marriages

Post by Ankefs » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 12:28 pm

Does anyone know whether common-in-law marriages are accepted in Singapore? Specifically, does NUS pay benefits, such as health benefits, to common-in-law spouses?
Thanks.

osej

Post by osej » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 1:32 pm

It is not really recognized in Singapore in the sense that Singaporeans do not have this concept. For expats there is some recognition depending on whether your country of origin recognizes it. If so your CL spouse can get a long term social visit visa (a married spouse would get a dependants pass). But in order to get one your Embassy would need to endorse it and not all Embassies sees it as their job to provide this service. More information on the Ministry of Manpower's and the Immigration and Checkpoint Authoroty's webpages.
In terms of benefits I don't know but guess it would be up to your contract.

Br,
Oscar

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 4:31 pm

I would suggest that you approach NUS as that would be up to the insurance carrier and/or NUS. It would be my belief that it would not cover but it is hard to tell.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers