City Chase, anyone??

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Post Reply
Seanjames
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 3:24 pm

City Chase, anyone??

Post by Seanjames » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 3:28 pm

Heyy I heard a lot about City Chase when it took place last year in Singapore and I am pretty eager to take part this year! But I would like to know of anyone who went for it last year or is going this year?? Any advise? What kind of a partner should I choose?

I am pretty intrigued by the idea of a mini-amazing race and a bunch of my friends are pretty interested to join in, all the more because its an international franchise... So it will be quite different..

perplexsheep
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 3:37 pm

Post by perplexsheep » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 1:37 pm

I have done it last year, and personally, I think its good fun and good experience. Its reasonably well coordinated by the organizers. I didnt feel that there is major hipcups.

For the race, essentially, you are given a list of about 15 checkpoints, and you need to go to about 10 or 12 checkpoints. The exact location is not obvious, so you have to guess where it is. It will be good if you are familiar with the history of Singapore. When I got the list, the first thing I did is to go back to our nearby office, google all the locations we are going, print out the maps before setting out. Some people head straight out to the first location and figure out the rest, along the way. So which strategy you approach, is highly subjective and personal choice.

The checkpoints are split to 3 area (for last year), the first is around town/city area, accessible by train, the second is in the east coast area, and the third is around science park area. If you are picking a partner, you should find someone who can run. Both east coast and science park are not really any train station, and the checkpoints around both areas, are not easily accessed by bus either. Its a choice of waiting 30 mins for the bus service to come, or run/walk. Since its a race, a significance number of the participants run.

Some of the stuff you have to do at checkpoints includes solving a sudoku puzzle, rock climbing, canoeing, cycling on bumpy road, climbing up a rope, eating chillis, picking stuff from a box of worms, etc.

ngkahhui
Regular
Regular
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 9:43 pm

Post by ngkahhui » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 5:48 pm

i m interested to join also
can i know when it was the competition?

User avatar
pixfirewall
Regular
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 3:23 am

Post by pixfirewall » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 1:35 am

perplexsheep wrote:I have done it last year, and personally, I think its good fun and good experience. Its reasonably well coordinated by the organizers. I didnt feel that there is major hipcups.

For the race, essentially, you are given a list of about 15 checkpoints, and you need to go to about 10 or 12 checkpoints. The exact location is not obvious, so you have to guess where it is. It will be good if you are familiar with the history of Singapore. When I got the list, the first thing I did is to go back to our nearby office, google all the locations we are going, print out the maps before setting out. Some people head straight out to the first location and figure out the rest, along the way. So which strategy you approach, is highly subjective and personal choice.

The checkpoints are split to 3 area (for last year), the first is around town/city area, accessible by train, the second is in the east coast area, and the third is around science park area. If you are picking a partner, you should find someone who can run. Both east coast and science park are not really any train station, and the checkpoints around both areas, are not easily accessed by bus either. Its a choice of waiting 30 mins for the bus service to come, or run/walk. Since its a race, a significance number of the participants run.

Some of the stuff you have to do at checkpoints includes solving a sudoku puzzle, rock climbing, canoeing, cycling on bumpy road, climbing up a rope, eating chillis, picking stuff from a box of worms, etc.
Hi,

My friend and I just registered for the citychase since I got intrigued over the flyer that came along with the goody bag during the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Run last April.

I did some google/youtube search to check it out and based from my search and saw the video, i got excited and wanted to sign up for the race. I'm an avid fan of Amazing Race and from this event its close of a mini-amazing race for a day.

I saw on the youtube videos some footage taken last year and saw water skiing at East Coast. Is it part of the challenge? Just wondering for I don't know how to ski..Hope you could enlighten me.

I guess we have to prepare physically for the challenges since you mentioned some physical tasks to be done. And also do a lot of reading for directions and places in Singapore.
pixfirewall
IM & email: dccruzjr@msn.com

perplexsheep
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 3:37 pm

Post by perplexsheep » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 3:39 am

The waterski park (in East Coast, next to the hawker center) is one of the checkpoints in last year race. I didn't do the waterski because I was covering checkpoints that are near to the Science Park. In fact, I intentionally choose not to go to the checkpoints on East Coast, because from the list, I can tell that if I choose those checkpoints, I will need to do the waterski, and I didnt have an extra change of clothes. Running around in wet outfit around the little island of Singapore is not exactly my idea of completing the race.

Some of the checkpoints, if you are familiar with Singapore, you can kind of guess what are the stuff you need to do. Or, as you do the race, you meet up with other people who have completed other checkpoints, and you start to talk about the challenges in checkpoints you have not been to.

And yes, you need to be reasonably fit to do some of the challenges, or in fact, alot of the running around.

User avatar
pixfirewall
Regular
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 3:23 am

Post by pixfirewall » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:54 am

perplexsheep wrote:The waterski park (in East Coast, next to the hawker center) is one of the checkpoints in last year race. I didn't do the waterski because I was covering checkpoints that are near to the Science Park. In fact, I intentionally choose not to go to the checkpoints on East Coast, because from the list, I can tell that if I choose those checkpoints, I will need to do the waterski, and I didnt have an extra change of clothes. Running around in wet outfit around the little island of Singapore is not exactly my idea of completing the race.

Some of the checkpoints, if you are familiar with Singapore, you can kind of guess what are the stuff you need to do. Or, as you do the race, you meet up with other people who have completed other checkpoints, and you start to talk about the challenges in checkpoints you have not been to.

And yes, you need to be reasonably fit to do some of the challenges, or in fact, alot of the running around.
Thanks for the information you had given. You mentioned checkpoints of around 10 or 12 stops. During the start of the race, let say you have 12 checkpoints, Is there a required no. of checkpoints to be accomplished let say you have to complete only 10 while the other 2 are just extra stops? If that's the case we have the option to skip other checkpoints?

I guess we really need to prepare and roughly 6 weeks to go. So are you joining as well for the city chase this year?
pixfirewall
IM & email: dccruzjr@msn.com

perplexsheep
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 3:37 pm

Post by perplexsheep » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:35 pm

If i remember correctly, there are either 12 or 15 checkpoints, and you are expected to complete 2/3 of the checkpoints only. That means that there are some checkpoints where you dont even get to go at all, because once you meet the minimum checkpoints required, you head straight back, and pray hard that you are the first team to complete.

Of course along the way, there are some stuff like "fast forward car" whereby if you catch it, it will bring you directly to a remote checkpoint. Saves alot of time traveling. Then again, its a 4 seater, and there will be hundreds of people participating. The chances of you getting a seat, do the maths.

I dont think I will do it this year. So far, I dont see any interested friends. You need someone who is really energetic to participate, to make the whole experience fun.

Do try to get a few friends on standby, via mobile phone, so that yuo can give them a call, and asked them where are specific checkpoints. If someone can be at home, surfing the net for you will be good. And chinese speaking friends are useful too, because I think one of the checkpoint is in mandarin.

Last but not least, bring a street directory. It helps!

Good luck in your race!

davidy
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat, 19 May 2007 1:29 pm

Post by davidy » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:44 pm

hey, this sounds very interesting.

The race is on Sat 23 Aug.

http://www.citychaseasia.com/Welcome_to ... gapore.htm

You need to form a team of 2 (costs $160 per team) and last registration date is Aug8.

I am kinda of tempted to give it a go. But need to find a team mate. Anyone interested?

I am reasonably fit, can run 7km in 31 mins (13km in 1 hr) and strong swimmer too. So if there is anyone out there who is keen, pls PM me.

Cheers
David

Seanjames
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 3:24 pm

Post by Seanjames » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 5:21 pm

davidy wrote:hey, this sounds very interesting.

The race is on Sat 23 Aug.

http://www.citychaseasia.com/Welcome_to ... gapore.htm

You need to form a team of 2 (costs $160 per team) and last registration date is Aug8.

I am kinda of tempted to give it a go. But need to find a team mate. Anyone interested?

I am reasonably fit, can run 7km in 31 mins (13km in 1 hr) and strong swimmer too. So if there is anyone out there who is keen, pls PM me.

Cheers
David
Oh, this should be helpful.. I found out that are others who do not have a partner too and what you can do is register as a single entry and City Chase Singapore will hook you up with a partner.. it's pretty convenient, eh??

and and, I came across City Chase's page on the ever popular facebook... find it here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 416&ref=ts

interested people should read up on it... theres this offer of theirs that if you bring 5 teams, the 6th one is free is a money-saver!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests