Singapore Expats Forum

Riding on the footpath

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

elizabeth_o

Postby elizabeth_o » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:58 pm

Cyclist in ECP going through the footpatch irritates me, esp when they sound their bells warning me to give way. I always yell back "FOOTPATH" to remind them.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 6:45 am

Which is exactly why I say the two cannot co-exist and I don't believe they should. The only safe solution is separate paths making is legal to run over pedestrians on the bike paths (which is what happens at ECP - because the pedestrians will not keep to their proper paths either.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 9:03 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Which is exactly why I say the two cannot co-exist and I don't believe they should. The only safe solution is separate paths making is legal to run over pedestrians on the bike paths (which is what happens at ECP - because the pedestrians will not keep to their proper paths either.

Sounds like a sensible suggestion me! Can't see it happening though...

For all that the average pedestrian in Singapore is, uh, spatial-awareness challenged, at least if one dumbass pedestrian walks into another dumbass pedestrian (because both can't be bothered to look where they are going), the damage and risk of injury is minimal. Collision with moronic cyclists is another story entirely.

I must admit to twice knocking cyclists off their bikes before they could collide with me - once on the pavement outside Sim Lim Square (Bangladeshi worker) and once on the footbridge behind Indoor Stadium (the one that's clearly marked "no cycling"!) - in this case it was local Chinese young punk who rode a breakneck speed sending pedestrians sprinting for cover. Unfortunately for him, he (almost) ran into me while I was carrying a photographer's tripod. I recreated a scene from A Knight's Tale there and then. :twisted:

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:'nana,

I'm with you 100%! I ride a lot and I wouldn't think of leaving the house without my helmet! I've been knocked down 3 times and dumped 2x here and believe me. A helmet is the only way to go. Cycle lanes? Fantastic idea cause as it is now, 2 of the times I've been knocked down have been by SBS Buses (more of a being pushed off the road!). Once on Jln Kayu and once just before the AMK MRT station on AMK Ave 3. And once by a 70 Y.O Merc Driver inside Seletar Camp who couldn't keep his eyes off the driving range as he made a left turn to go to the SBGC (the driving range is on the right). He didn't even know that he knocked me down until I caught up with him at the Golf Course and showed him the maroon bike paint down the left side of his white Merc. He did pay to have the bike repaired however, as I explained to him the likelihood of him losing his license should I opt to report it to the police.

That is seriously f@cked up. You are a better man than me to patiently explain that to Mr Merc.

Plavt wrote:This to some degree has been done in the UK with some success but I don't know if it would work in Singapore given what you mention above.

You know how things work here. At best we'll get some token effort and the rest is "up to the population".
some signatures are more equal than others

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:07 am

There are cycle lanes on roads and pavements all over my hometown Dublin. And the police take any infringement by car drivers VERY seriously.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:16 am

My only wish is that cyclists on the road obey the road rules too. Which means stopping at traffic lights when they are red, not hitching rides by holding on to a car, not leaning on cars at lights if they do stop, not riding across pedestrian crossings, keeping to the left of the lane, riding in a straight line not wobbling all over the place and generally just being a considerate road user.

Lots of people ride on the footpaths here Ozchick, if the area is quiet, I see it quite a lot down round west coast (no, not the park) way.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 3:20 pm

Cyclists should be subject to the same road rules as anyone else. Meaning if they're cycling drunk, ALL their licenses get revoked. If I recall correctly, this is the case in quite a few countries.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 3:59 pm

banana wrote: ALL their licenses get revoked. If I recall correctly, this is the case in quite a few countries.

:???: I don't know where you might be referring to but cyclists in the UK do not require licenses.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 6:58 pm

i cant imagine which country require a cyclists to have a license!!! maybe a CoE for bicycle in the future?

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 7:04 pm

as in IF they had a license of some sort. kinda like if you were caught drink driving, you'd lose both your class 3 and class 2 licenses. if not, then a black mark in the registry to prevent the acquisition of any driving permits in the future. do I need to draw a diagram?

edit:vv thanks Mr S
Last edited by banana on Fri, 04 Jul 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 7:04 pm

Well I understood what Mr B meant and makes perfect sense

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 11:47 pm

While not needing a license per se, when I first arrived here in Singapore, bicycles used to be registered and had registration plates affixed to the back of the bicycle (usually around where the rear brake/mudguard mount was located. Was a European style oval about 13cm across with black numerals on a white background.

In those days it was only a $5.00 license fee and you were given the oval registration plate which had to be affixed to the back of the bicycle. Those caught riding a bicycle without this disc during police spot checks were subject to be arrested. The registration number was also embossed onto the bicycle frame by the bicycle shop.

It was abolished by the former Registration of Vehicles Dept because they found that it was not cost effective to maintain the records of bicycles owners. Back then all records were kept manually. Not sure of the actual date it was abolished though. (like the 50km/hr flashing light on top of the cab/roof of commercial vehicles & pickup/vans)

They are now registering bikes again with engravings on the frame (especially in Tampines where the pilot program is being conducted). At the moment it is only good to help recover stolen bikes. It wouldn't take much effort to start re-issuing registration plates again. I think it's a good idea frankly.

hertfordshire_lad

Postby hertfordshire_lad » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:33 pm

i cant believe it happened again today...another cyclist on the footpath in a very poorly lit area while I was on the way back from the MRT station.

He comes hurtling along and I only just see him at the last minute and he's not even braking. We both swerve the same way and eventually at the last minute he brakes and puts his feet on the floor and says "sorry sorry" then rides off....

I'm not against cylcing - in fact I enjoy it, but on the footpath at high speed in low visibility is just rude.

I find it completely irresponsible, but yet very common - this kind of thing is happening (albeit usually at lower speeds) almost everyday, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Anyway, had to get it off my chest, even if there is no solution.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:53 pm

banana wrote:Cyclists should be subject to the same road rules as anyone else. Meaning if they're cycling drunk, ALL their licenses get revoked. If I recall correctly, this is the case in quite a few countries.
Yes actually you can be fined for being drunk in charge of a cycle :lol: Lucky I wasn't caught in Denmark, blowing my tires up, until they both popped, obviously to pissed to realise how much air I was putting in, and it didn't stop me from riding home either :roll: Thank god it was a one off!
I'm not against cylcing - in fact I enjoy it, but on the footpath at high speed in low visibility is just rude.
yes it is! I mean I am a cyclist and sometimes i do go on the footpath here, because in certain area's it's very dangerous on the road, if my daughter is with me, then it's most definitely the pavement.

Common sense should tell evryone how fast to cycle if people are on the footpath and even though i have a bell, i'd rather say excuse me please loud enough for them to hear it, people often take up the whole side walk, walking in 3's or 4's...one person is fine, but i never speed past them.
I have also taken my daughter on the road, but it's really very risky, not a thing i like to do at all and when i do, i try to keep her on the inside of me, away from the cars. Drivers here are just plain bad, and should have their licences taken away, until they learn better driving manners.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 9:19 pm

By definition:

Footpath

Sidewalk

Nope, in both 'languages' it pertains to walking NOT cycling. Thsi is similar to smokers complaining about being forced to smoke in designated zones.

Let me see:

Smoking bothers non-smokers
Not smoking cannot bother smokers

Cycling on footpaths/sidewalks bothers pedestrians
Walking on footpaths cannot bother cyclists
- Thank God for Darwin -