Singapore Expats Forum

Riding on the footpath

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Riding on the footpath

Postby ozchick » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 7:47 am

What if any ramifications await me if I want to ride my bicycle on the footpath?
Has anyone had any experience of police reaction to this ?
I would like to ride from home to work and the only route is a very busy road. There is no designated 'cycling' section on the footpath. Grateful for any advice.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Riding on the footpath

Postby Plavt » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:55 pm

ozchick wrote:What if any ramifications await me if I want to ride my bicycle on the footpath?

:o Footpaths are for walking. [-X I'm surprised at you! :-k

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Re: Riding on the footpath

Postby ozchick » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 1:54 pm

Plavt wrote:
ozchick wrote:What if any ramifications await me if I want to ride my bicycle on the footpath?

:o Footpaths are for walking. [-X I'm surprised at you! :-k

Aw come on Russkie ! I'm just one little tiny ozchick wanting to flaut the law one little tiny bit- what can be the harm in that ? And anyway, I don't do any OTHER bad things ! :wink:

bgd
Editor
Editor

Postby bgd » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 3:28 pm

Legal here I think...

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 7:57 pm

Not legal and very selfish as well as dangerous to pedestrians.

Unfortunately too many people do it.
- Thank God for Darwin -

hiking out

Postby hiking out » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 9:03 pm

I think you would face more objections from people in this forum than from the Police. Going after pavement cyclists is probably not one of the priorities.

It's probably ok if it's not crowded and you are careful and do not ram into or become a nuisance to anyone.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:30 pm

personally, i dont like to see people riding on footpath coz it is dangerous. people using the footpath doesnt expect bicycle on the footpath, therefore they are not as alert as if they are walking on the road.

btw, excellent comment by hiking out.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:02 pm

I believe it IS legal to ride on the sidewalks at the moment and looks like it's going to be permanent. How long will be another story. You just have to watch out for the auntie & uncles on their bikes as they also ride on the footpaths. You need to get a bell to ward pedestrians in advance that there a wild chick(en) barreling down the pathway. Don't use one of the rubber bulbed horns though as then they may stop you to have you buy their own papers ala the karen guni lady.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:22 am

what next? rickshaw on footpath too? :P

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 7:54 am

Mm...for those concerned that I might kill someone, the footpath I have in mind has no houses, only office buildings beside it and I see very few if any people walking on it. The last thing I'd want to do is battle with pedestrians- I'm one of them too and there's nothing worse than having to dodge the cyclists. Gonna google this now sms. I thought it was 'grey' area legally. Maybe not.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 9:18 am

The area where it's currently legal is in Tampines which is unfortunately on the other side of the island and it was for a 6 month trial which is ending now according to the morning broadsheets. It looks to be extended for another 6 months as well and the pedestrians don't want it and the cyclists do and the frothing of the mouths continue as LTA wants more feedback. I personally, don't like the idea as it puts the pedestrians at danger because so many local have absolutely no spatial awareness and these people constitute a danger for cyclists (not counting other pedestrians as we all know if you stop they will just walk into you. #-o ](*,)

They are talking about widening the footpaths but at the end of the day, it will not work. pedestrians should not have to jostle with cyclists (I would rather ride in the road where at least there are brake lights to let you know when the idiot car driver is applying his brakes for absolutely no fathomable reason.

Can we make pedestrians wear brake lights & turn signals on their butts?

:P

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 2:11 pm

I'd like to see bicycle lanes on roads. Institute proper cycling etiquette like wearing helmets, operational lights and being subject to similar road laws as operating a motor vehicle. Of course this would require a far more laid back culture which the government will almost certainly never want.
some signatures are more equal than others

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:14 pm

'nana,

I'm with you 100%! I ride a lot and I wouldn't think of leaving the house without my helmet! I've been knocked down 3 times and dumped 2x here and believe me. A helmet is the only way to go. Cycle lanes? Fantastic idea cause as it is now, 2 of the times I've been knocked down have been by SBS Buses (more of a being pushed off the road!). Once on Jln Kayu and once just before the AMK MRT station on AMK Ave 3. And once by a 70 Y.O Merc Driver inside Seletar Camp who couldn't keep his eyes off the driving range as he made a left turn to go to the SBGC (the driving range is on the right). He didn't even know that he knocked me down until I caught up with him at the Golf Course and showed him the maroon bike paint down the left side of his white Merc. He did pay to have the bike repaired however, as I explained to him the likelihood of him losing his license should I opt to report it to the police.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:21 pm

i wouldnt go out for drinks after work if i were you, and then ride home. you'll end up in a ditch. i've had a couple of close shaves even on foot.

mind you with the drivers in singers, the footpath is probly safer.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:20 pm

banana wrote:I'd like to see bicycle lanes on roads. Institute proper cycling etiquette like wearing helmets, operational lights and being subject to similar road laws as operating a motor vehicle. Of course this would require a far more laid back culture which the government will almost certainly never want.

This to some degree has been done in the UK with some success but I don't know if it would work in Singapore given what you mention above.