Singapore Expats Forum

HOT WATER IN KITCHENS

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

HOT WATER IN KITCHENS

Postby ozchick » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 9:00 am

Yeah I know it's not unusual to be without a hot water tank in the kitchens here in Sg. But what's the reason for this? We're about to move into a lovely condo but again we'll have no hot water. Sigh................................
I would have thought it's a given that where cooking and cleaning take place, hot water is an essential.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 9:40 am

I've always found that normal tap water with the local kitchen detergents work fine. I suppose that some would argue how do you kill bacteria but I don't think any water that you could put your hands in would kill any bacteria anyway. So my recommendation is to go to NTUC, and in the detergent section, pick up one of those 5 litre bottles of local detergent (yellow) on the bottom shelf for under 5 dollars and give it a try. Been working a treat for me for over 26 years now.

A lot of what we were raised up to believe is not the gospel anymore.

:cool:

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Re: HOT WATER IN KITCHENS

Postby kaseyma » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:40 am

ozchick wrote:Yeah I know it's not unusual to be without a hot water tank in the kitchens here in Sg. But what's the reason for this? We're about to move into a lovely condo but again we'll have no hot water. Sigh................................
I would have thought it's a given that where cooking and cleaning take place, hot water is an essential.

What our local maid does is fill the hot water pot with tap water when she starts washing and then pours the hot water over the washed dishes.
I think she does it mainly to get rid of all the grease rather than any concern about bacteria.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:09 pm

As the majority of local cooking is heavy into grease/cooking oils, I think the detergents are specially forumulated with grease cutting capabilities without the need for hot/warm water. Only my opinion though, but my dishes or pots & pans are never greasy afterward. :wink:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 9:47 pm

Yeah yeah yeah but WHY ??? Why is there no hot water in the kitchen ?
Je ne le comprend pas... :?

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:12 pm

Local kitchens have hot water.
It's usually in the electric hot pot. 8-)
(More convenient than the kettles on the stove from the old days).

They just don't need a special heater so that it comes out of the faucet.
Water heaters take up space and waste energy if left on.

However, newer places may have this option.
Guess that you're not in one of those.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:45 am

ozchick wrote:Yeah yeah yeah but WHY ??? Why is there no hot water in the kitchen ?

Why have it if you don't need it? Just more costs for more plumbing and more things to break and cost money later. I think the word is pragmatic. The kettle on the stove, (before electric hotpots) had the water for a cuppa and that all you needed

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 7:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ozchick wrote:Yeah yeah yeah but WHY ??? Why is there no hot water in the kitchen ?

Why have it if you don't need it? Just more costs for more plumbing and more things to break and cost money later. I think the word is pragmatic. The kettle on the stove, (before electric hotpots) had the water for a cuppa and that all you needed

Hmmph ! Not sure I agree with your logic farm-boy...
To follow on from your line of thinking, we'd have no hot water in the bathroom either. We'd just boil lots of pots of water and pour them in the bath and then add the required cold water..mm.... yeah......AND the thought of washing dishes in cold water- ooh yucky and using extra or strong detergents gee that doesn't sound good, though I s'pose with a decent rinse...I dunno.....the whole thing reeks of 'compromising' on health and hygiene to save a few dollars..is that what it's all about then ?
Gee if this is what they do with cutlery in the hawker centres oh my God then I ain't ever goin' back ! Yucky yucky don't like germs ! :cry:

oku
Regular
Regular

Postby oku » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 8:28 am

hi, there is no winter here so it doesnt make sense to have hot water running from the tap in the kitchen.

but no heater in the bathroom???????? that is pretty unusual.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:43 pm

Are you sure the tank isn't located somewhere else? In both condos we've lived in the switch/tanks for the sink are outside the kitchen :o.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 1:01 pm

ozchick wrote:Hmmph ! Not sure I agree with your logic farm-boy...
To follow on from your line of thinking, we'd have no hot water in the bathroom either. We'd just boil lots of pots of water and pour them in the bath and then add the required cold water..mm.... yeah......AND the thought of washing dishes in cold water- ooh yucky and using extra or strong detergents gee that doesn't sound good, though I s'pose with a decent rinse...I dunno.....the whole thing reeks of 'compromising' on health and hygiene to save a few dollars..is that what it's all about then ?
Gee if this is what they do with cutlery in the hawker centres oh my God then I ain't ever goin' back ! Yucky yucky don't like germs ! :cry:

You logic is strange as well, as you are implying that dishes have feelings and are sensitive to hot or cold water like humans are when we get into the shower. The majority of people in Singapore do not have 'baths' but only showers. Therefore the instant hot water heater works a treat. My logic does away for the need of hot water storage tanks or extra plumbing and so forth. And the dishes are just as clean as using hot water. As far as it being yucky? Eating a durian is yuckier! :wink:

For the bath you can fill it up with cold water and just drop in one of the heating elements used for tea cups and wait a while! But take it out before you step into it! :P

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 3:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

The majority of people in Singapore do not have 'baths' but only showers.

:o Oh great ! LOL ! He he....... so now we have kitchens with no hot water ( and WE DO NEED IT TO KILL THE GERMS- SO THERE !)
And to add to the insanity, baths in bathrooms where they are not needed cos no one uses them. Sigh..................................................
What is this ?Some kind of Singapore Circus ? Madhatter's teaparty etc
And stop arguing with me sms. You KNOW you can't win an argument with me ! :wink:
And don't be offended if when you invite me over to your place for tea I bring my own cutlery ! :P Mm....I could bring that stuff I stole from Seasider's !!! :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 3:38 pm

You haven't been in very many HSB flats have you. 85% of the population lives in them and probably less than 5% have been retrofitted with bathtubs/jacuzzi's. Shower stalls are about the size of it. :P

What ever you do, don't ever eat in any restaurants or hawker centres cause they rarely use hot water either. Oops! this whole thing came up because you were eating in a restaurant wasn't it! :-k :-$ :P

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Postby kaseyma » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:35 pm

ozchick wrote: :o Oh great ! LOL ! He he....... so now we have kitchens with no hot water ( and WE DO NEED IT TO KILL THE GERMS- SO THERE !)

No, detergent alone is sufficient.
Detergents contain both lipophilic and hydrophilic groups, which disrupt cytoplasmic membranes, killing germ cells.
(cf. Jawetz, Melnick, & Adelberg's Medical Microbiology, Geo. F. Brooks, Janet S. Butel, Stephen A. Morse).

ozchick wrote:Gee if this is what they do with cutlery in the hawker centres oh my God then I ain't ever goin' back ! Yucky yucky don't like germs ! :cry:

Your choice.
Leaves more room for the rest of us, who will enjoy the food like we always have. :P

If it really wasn't working, people would get sick and the places would be shut down. 8-)

Are you one of those mysophobic types that don't even use the tap water here to brush your teeth? :roll:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:20 am

what's next? why no hot water in my toilet bowl? :P