Singapore Expats Forum

Recommendation for Mandarin audio-CD or book

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Susu

Recommendation for Mandarin audio-CD or book

Postby Susu » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 6:37 pm

Can anyone recommend a beginner's course in Mandarin either on audio-CD or in a paperback format?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 6:41 pm

go to popular bookstore and get a sales person to help you. they got lots of stuff from books to tapes to CDs.

agapedage

Postby agapedage » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:18 pm

maybe you can try the HSK text book.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 1:00 pm

Susu - Pimsleur CD's - VERY VERY happy with the technique and I bought our Mandarin I over the web from their online store and had no problems at all. We HIGHLY recommend them.

HTH, P & C

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 2:03 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Susu - Pimsleur CD's - VERY VERY happy with the technique and I bought our Mandarin I over the web from their online store and had no problems at all. We HIGHLY recommend them.

HTH, P & C

P & C you on that :lol: I just got it!, have to admit any firm that allows you to buy a small sample first must have faith in its products, the basic starter pack can be found at the big jap book shop located in Ngee Ann City, they also have the full versions.

Mind you its taken me two weeks to say "duìbúqì"!! I am a bad example I lived in HK for 15 years and don't speak a word of Hong Kongese

I am secretly learning so I can figure out what my wife and in laws are saying about me :cool:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 8:33 am

QRM - yeh I am waiting until I understand enough so that when I walk into a store in Honkers I can finally understand how much they're jacking the price up on me!!!!!

Pimsleur has a great approach - I'm thoroughly impressed.

P