Singapore Expats Forum

Right to a Lawyer in SG

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Right to a Lawyer in SG

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 9:27 pm

Watched an interesting video from a US law class:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3865&hl=en

My question is: If I were to be arrested in Singapore may I refuse to talk to the police until I have an attorney present or is it different here than in the US?

Thanks.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 9:37 pm

Ohhhh, what did you do????

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:03 pm

familyof5 wrote:Ohhhh, what did you do????

Well... nuttin' yet... but you never know... could drive 80 over the speed limit... violate the libel laws... spit on the sidewalk.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:10 pm

Yeah very interesting question.

They do have the right to detain you without representation under certain circumstances as far as I remember. That said I am not a lawyer.

Any legal peoples around?
Be Like Water

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:23 pm

maybe singapore need something like judge judy?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:17 am

From what I've seen and read over the past 25 years or so, no. They are allowed to both detain you and question you for as long as they want in order to extract the truth (as they see it). You have no rights at all and all lawyers will tell you that they cannot do anything as the government feels that lawyers will cause impedance to the investigation. (one has to wonder at the validity of some of the confessions extracted that way). I believe one of the world bodies has been trying for years to get some evidence on the psy-ops torture used to extract confessions here). The talk about striping people down to their underwear in frigid rooms abound here. About the only thing they don't do is manhandle suspects (physically beating them) but psy-ops is practiced heavily from what I understand. The problems is all we hear is purely anecdotal evidence so we will never really know for sure.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 5:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:From what I've seen and read over the past 25 years or so, no. They are allowed to both detain you and question you for as long as they want in order to extract the truth (as they see it). You have no rights at all and all lawyers will tell you that they cannot do anything as the government feels that lawyers will cause impedance to the investigation. (one has to wonder at the validity of some of the confessions extracted that way). I believe one of the world bodies has been trying for years to get some evidence on the psy-ops torture used to extract confessions here). The talk about striping people down to their underwear in frigid rooms abound here. About the only thing they don't do is manhandle suspects (physically beating them) but psy-ops is practiced heavily from what I understand. The problems is all we hear is purely anecdotal evidence so we will never really know for sure.

ok, better not spit on the sidewalk no more. and that goes for strong eagle as well! :P

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 8:42 am

You don't have the right to a jury trial either (there are none). Besides, what the law says can always be changed, or glossed over. The sooner you just accept that the government owns you and can do whatever they want with you while you're here, the better off you'll be. :wink:

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 1:29 pm

Turtle wrote:You don't have the right to a jury trial either (there are none). Besides, what the law says can always be changed, or glossed over. The sooner you just accept that the government owns you and can do whatever they want with you while you're here, the better off you'll be. :wink:

Singapore justice is not blind, if you look at the lady justice in Old Supreme Court building, her eyes seem to be wide open, not blind folded or even closed.

On the other hand that was build by the British.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 1:48 pm

Or she could be wearing these
some signatures are more equal than others

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Wed, 25 Jun 2008 1:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They are allowed to both detain you and question you for as long as they want in order to extract the truth (as they see it). You have no rights at all and all lawyers will tell you that they cannot do anything as the government feels that lawyers will cause impedance to the investigation. (one has to wonder at the validity of some of the confessions extracted that way).

sunday is right. it gets worse depending on who's/re your IO/s and how serious the crime is.

don't depend on an appointed defense lawyer either; they normally get the barest of information/papers and always at the last moment which makes for lousy preparation.

don't get into trouble. you don't have rights even if you're just detained. this is from real accounts i've heard from understudies to 2 popular criminal attorneys in singapore. but on the flip side, it's a good deterrent...

for petty offenses there isn't much to worry about, i don't think!

(27 napier road, pronto, or try snagging a special black passport.)