Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for other unhappy expats. Are you there?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Wow..

Postby local lad » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 5:41 pm

notwavingdrowning wrote:Thank you for not taking offence..I have found that many locals on this forum are easily offended..Thank you for your maturity and social planning for expats too :D

I always strive to be objective in my view and will try as much as I can to help expats living here as comfortably as far as I know how. When unnecessary words like 'hellhole' and 's!@#$place' got printed out here, it does not help , as much as locals are concerned. In fact, it will ticked off hard on the locals. Locals are not really that easily offended as I believe most local readers here are helpful when required. Most of the local readers here have somewhat used to the companion of expats, be it at work or leisure.

PinkMiracle

Postby PinkMiracle » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 6:50 pm

local lad wrote:
notwavingdrowning wrote:Thank you for not taking offence..I have found that many locals on this forum are easily offended..Thank you for your maturity and social planning for expats too :D

I always strive to be objective in my view and will try as much as I can to help expats living here as comfortably as far as I know how. When unnecessary words like 'hellhole' and 's!@#$place' got printed out here, it does not help , as much as locals are concerned. In fact, it will ticked off hard on the locals. Locals are not really that easily offended as I believe most local readers here are helpful when required. Most of the local readers here have somewhat used to the companion of expats, be it at work or leisure.

I'm a local and I'm not offended by this thread at all. local_lad, I'm not sure I even understand what you are trying to say in your post, but I think its been said over and over again that this is a thread for people to vent so if they want to call a place "hellhole" or whatever, just let them! Everyone has a right to an opinion. Many locals I know hate this country and want to get the hell out of this place, so it should come as no surprise that some expats feel the same way.

positano
Regular
Regular

Postby positano » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 9:28 pm

local lad wrote:I always strive to be objective in my view and will try as much as I can to help expats living here as comfortably as far as I know how. When unnecessary words like 'hellhole' and 's!@#$place' got printed out here, it does not help , as much as locals are concerned. In fact, it will ticked off hard on the locals. Locals are not really that easily offended as I believe most local readers here are helpful when required. Most of the local readers here have somewhat used to the companion of expats, be it at work or leisure.

local lad, i don't recall seeing words like 'hellhole' and 's!@#$place' on this thread :???:

AussieNewToSing

Postby AussieNewToSing » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 7:19 am

local lad:When unnecessary words like 'hellhole' and 's!@#$place' got printed out here, it does not help , as much as locals are concerned. In fact, it will ticked off hard on the locals.

What the hell are HAPPY locals doing on this $&#(%^#%$ thread? This ^%$%&*thread.. is aimed at *&^%$%^UNHAPPY EXPATS ONLY!

We have enough to cope with in this ^%$%&* new life- without having to worry about offending locals!

PLEASE let us ^%$%&vent in peace!

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Re: Looking for other unhappy expats. Are you there?

Postby krptykcookies » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 4:59 pm

positano wrote:notwavingdrowning,

i am very grateful that you started this thread and also to the other expats for sharing openly and honestly. i would also like to compliment you on the sensitive and respectful way you have approached a very sensitive topic on this public forum.

i have my good days and my bad days. on my bad days i lie in bed and i cry. i feel alone and like no one understands. i beat myself up for not feeling lucky like other people say i am. i crave for irreplaceable and non-tangible things like my family and closest friends who know me inside and out. i mourn the loss of my successful and satisfying career (which has no equivalent in singapore).

i know i am going thru a transition. i remind myself daily that it will get better. i am waivering between stages 3 and 4 now. its not easy.

taking baby steps...

Positano,

Just curious .. but why did you leave your 'successful and satisfying career' in your own country to come to Singapore?
Cool as cool can be

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Postby krptykcookies » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 5:21 pm

Folks,

Has anyone thought of coming over to KL (Kuala Lumpur)?

Cool place - bigger than Singapore, bigger malls, bigger supermarkets, bigger clubs (and a variety to choose from), bigger roads, bigger condos/apartment space, bigger and a variety of cinemas and cinema movies, in short - bigger everything than what you can find in Singapore, more activities to do over the weekends and last but not least polite, warm and friendly people. :)
Cool as cool can be

AmadeusCho

Postby AmadeusCho » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 9:44 pm

It is strange how Singaporeans moan, complain and swear on their own forum, called sgforum.com.sg , but get so sensitive when any caucasian makes a comment about the same things, like rude service, SPG's, unfriendly people etc.

I've heard it said that Singaporeans have an inferiority complex. For such an economically successful country, this would be a sad thing.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 9:55 pm

krptykcookies wrote:
positano wrote:...... its not easy.

taking baby steps...

Positano,

Just curious .. but why did you leave your 'successful and satisfying career' in your own country to come to Singapore?

Umm, who said that "positano" had a choice? I didn't read anything in their posting that said that? Some people get posted to different countries because of all sorts of reasons.

If you like KL so much, then why are you on this site, anyway??!!

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Postby krptykcookies » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:16 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:
krptykcookies wrote:

taking baby steps...

Positano,

Umm, who said that "positano" had a choice? I didn't read anything in their posting that said that? Some people get posted to different countries because of all sorts of reasons.

I have no idea why you are being / sound hostile. I was only suggesting KL as an alternative that's all. No hidden motives or thoughts or anything.

And as for the Q to Positano, it was just out of curiosity nothing more to it.

Some people ... read too much in between the lines :roll:
Cool as cool can be

positano
Regular
Regular

Postby positano » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 1:20 am

krptykcookies wrote:
sierra2469alpha wrote:
krptykcookies wrote:

taking baby steps...

Positano,

I have no idea why you are being / sound hostile. I was only suggesting KL as an alternative that's all. No hidden motives or thoughts or anything.

krptycookies, i am curious as to why you are so curious about me. in response to your question, this thread is not about me personally. i will say that i didn't really have a choice in the matter. if you want some examples there are plenty of other examples posted on this forum.

i am also curious as to why you are on this singapore expat website promoting KL. your suggestion of KL as an alternative to Singapore with its bigger malls, bigger condos, bigger clubs and friendly people does not remove the very real transitions that people go through when they have moved to a new country. this thread was started so that expats could have a safe place to vent their thoughts and feelings. i don't see how your suggestion of moving to KL is relevant to our thread. you may mean well but i certainly don't find your suggestion helpful [-(

sierra2468alpha, you are totally spot on. everyone's situation is unique and different =D> =D>

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Postby krptykcookies » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:27 am

positano wrote:
krptykcookies wrote:
sierra2469alpha wrote:
krptykcookies wrote:

taking baby steps...

Positano,

krptycookies, i am curious as to why you are so curious about me. in response to your question, this thread is not about me personally. i will say that i didn't really have a choice in the matter. if you want some examples there are plenty of other examples posted on this forum.

i am also curious as to why you are on this singapore expat website promoting KL. your suggestion of KL as an alternative to Singapore with its bigger malls, bigger condos, bigger clubs and friendly people does not remove the very real transitions that people go through when they have moved to a new country. this thread was started so that expats could have a safe place to vent their thoughts and feelings. i don't see how your suggestion of moving to KL is relevant to our thread. you may mean well but i certainly don't find your suggestion helpful [-(

sierra2468alpha, you are totally spot on. everyone's situation is unique and different =D> =D>

For the Q, Positano, it's ok if you don't want to answer the question. Again like I mention I was just curious - nothing more. So I am not going to go long winded and prove to you as to why I asked you this question in the first place.

As for your comments or wanting to know on why am I writing on KL as an alternative I doubt there's any instructions or rules or regulations on this thread / forum that says that I can't write or voice out on this. So I am just about as free (or have every right) as you or sierra to write or voice out whatever I want regardless of where I am.

And if you don't find the 'suggestion helpful' ... fine ... then you can avoid this part of the thread altogether. And you are right to say that this thread is not particularly about you and so this suggestion is not particularly just meant for you either.

And BTW I am an expat in Singapore and I am unhappy too but I choose to bring in a positive dimension to life on this thread. At least for me, that there is this other better option. I was only hoping (and I hope) that it would be a good option too for others who are on this thread or who are reading this thread.
Cool as cool can be

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Its hard enough...

Postby notwavingdrowning » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 6:56 pm

Hey everyone- This thread means a lot to me and it has helped me so much. I want it to be a safe, friendly place expats can come and feel safe talking about the challenges they face living here...

Can I be so bold as to kindly ask everyone on this page to call a truce and accept things written here can be taken out of hand and what is often innocently written can be taken the wrong way...

As I have said before- this thread is not designed to give or get advice...There are many other threads for that purpose.

I would hate for some new struggling expat to come accross this thread looking for like minded people and see this squabbling...

Would it be too much to ask everyone on this page to clean up their post (stop the quoting) and give each other a clean slate??

I fear if we do not the thread will die...And I have seen on other threads people are talking about us in a not so complimentary fashion- lets not give them any ammunition...Please...We are all in the same boat on this lovely but often frustrating island
:wink:
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Re: Its hard enough...

Postby krptykcookies » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 7:30 pm

notwavingdrowning wrote:Hey everyone- This thread means a lot to me and it has helped me so much. I want it to be a safe, friendly place expats can come and feel safe talking about the challenges they face living here...

Can I be so bold as to kindly ask everyone on this page to call a truce and accept things written here can be taken out of hand and what is often innocently written can be taken the wrong way...

As I have said before- this thread is not designed to give or get advice...There are many other threads for that purpose.

I would hate for some new struggling expat to come accross this thread looking for like minded people and see this squabbling...

Would it be too much to ask everyone on this page to clean up their post (stop the quoting) and give each other a clean slate??

I fear if we do not the thread will die...And I have seen on other threads people are talking about us in a not so complimentary fashion- lets not give them any ammunition...Please...We are all in the same boat on this lovely but often frustrating island
:wink:

notwavingdrowning,

Is it ok if I leave the part on KL alone and clean up the rest of my other err ... quotes?

I only meant well. I am unhappy here but just the thought of KL lightens up my mood when I am down so I thought I had share it on this thread :D
Cool as cool can be

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Its a deal!

Postby notwavingdrowning » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 8:27 pm

krptykcookies: thanks for being so cool about it..Re: KL- I am going there for the first time in 4 weeks- I am looking forward to it so much :D
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 9:08 pm

AmadeusCho wrote:It is strange how Singaporeans moan, complain and swear on their own forum, called sgforum.com.sg , but get so sensitive when any caucasian makes a comment about the same things, like rude service, SPG's, unfriendly people etc.

I've heard it said that Singaporeans have an inferiority complex. For such an economically successful country, this would be a sad thing.

Do you really think that the same people posting on the other site are the ones coming on this site to post?

Presumptouous sweeping generalisation, don't you think?
8-)