Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for other unhappy expats. Are you there?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Re: Sorry you guys feel terrible here.. I understand

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 6:46 am

fraufechner wrote:I envy you. I've been telling the spouse that I would love to spend a few years in India.

I am doing alright here in Singapore but I am seeing the terrible changes in the people here... I really dont want to offend any locals reading this thread

Dear Fraufechner, this thread was created as a safe place for expats to speak freely about their experiences and difficulties of life here in Singapore. There is safety in numbers now- we know we are not alone in our feelings. I have said it before and will say it again- Locals or expats for that matter who wish to criticize us for speaking our minds are not welcome on this thread- they have this entire forum to express themselves- We have every right to express ourselves in peace. The thread is called "Unhappy Expats" for a reason...

For the record, in the week since I started this thread and have been able to express myself and see that I am not alone I have been feeling so much better about being here. I just passed my 5 week anniversary on Friday so things are looking up for me. I really believe I have this thread to thank for that.

As someone on this thread said to me, simply the act of expressing how you really feel can help the load lessen.. So vent I say :D vent.
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

fraufechner

Postby fraufechner » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 4:17 pm

notwavingdrowning wrote:[
For the record, in the week since I started this thread and have been able to express myself and see that I am not alone I have been feeling so much better about being here. I just passed my 5 week anniversary on Friday so things are looking up for me. I really believe I have this thread to thank for that.

As someone on this thread said to me, simply the act of expressing how you really feel can help the load lessen.. So vent I say :D vent.

---------------------------------

Hey ... I am sooo glad you feel a lot better... :) :)
And happy 5 week anniversary.. hahahaha

cheers

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 9:23 pm

sabs wrote:Dear Petales Soufflez,

in which hospital were you?? i think i like to go to the Mount Elizabeth Hospital. Do you know something about it??

oh my god!!! with the bus???? sounds terrible.

thanks i contact you if i have questions. thanks...

i feel better now

:D

Sabs, ich gehe heute in Urlaub. :D

Meine drei Kinder sind in Paris geboren. Ich kenne leider nicht Mount Elizabeth aber die Krankenhause in Singapur gut normalerweise sind. Meine Schwester hat in Thomson Medical Kind geboren und sie war glücklich.

In any case, Singapore ist klein. All the hospitals are close to one another for transfers in case you need special care. The important thing is that you feel comfortable with Mount E when you visited it. And eventually that they have a post-natal care unit.

Ich muss nach Flughafen gehen! Tschüss! Bis Bald!
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 9:40 pm

fraufechner wrote:Hi :)
Well I think everyone should live in India.. hahaha I learn to appreciate many things in life after I left India :)

Oh yes, I have family and friends here... :) Thank you for asking
I am doing alright here in Singapore but I am seeing the terrible changes in the people here... I really dont want to offend any locals reading this thread but I think majority of the population here lack basic manners and the more money they earn, the more disgusting they are...

I feel bad getting my husband and now our kids back to Singapore... I know he doesnt enjoy working here..... so I am trying my best to keep everyone happy... stay away from the bad and make the best of what we have....

Ich hoffe das Beste für alle!

tschuess!

Good to see that your expatriation in India has served you well. This is of course the reason why we're moving so much - to discover something new and learn to know ourselves better.

Meanwhile I don't see how you could offend locals or anybody for that matter by expressing how you personally feel or view things. Forums are made for sharing, venting, exchanging etc after all :P

Besides, everybody lives thru different experiences. I guess I am fortunate to have friends and family who remain humble, supportive, lucid and generous no matter how rich or successful they have become. My ugly friends and relatives rich or poor, I simply do not see them so I guess that settles the matter :lol:

Also, maybe Singapore hasn't really changed. But you have.

I have many friends who have brought their spouses and kids home from wherever they were e.g. Paris, Stuttgart, London...and they have as far as I know enjoyed their return. I am sorry for you and hope that you will continue to be able to help your hubby endure the remaining months of your time here - until you leave. At least now that you've given Singapore a shot - and not like it anymore - you can decide not to return for good. It is difficult turning back on your roots, but then we all move on and the important thing is to know what we want and go for it.

All the best and like Notwavingdrowning said, vent to your heart's content! We all feel miserable about wherever we are at some point and it's good to know that we're not the only ones! 8-)
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 2:54 pm

fraufechner wrote: Thank you for asking
I am doing alright here in Singapore but I am seeing the terrible changes in the people here... I really dont want to offend any locals reading this thread but I think majority of the population here lack basic manners and the more money they earn, the more disgusting they are...

As a local, it is hard to swallow but it is true. I guess Singaporeans are getting too materialistic with all things that any favours come with a price tag. This morning ,as I was listening to one of the radio station, they were discussing about courtesy now and then. One of the DJ believes that there is still some courtesy left in all of us. I agreed to a certain extent but it is not significant enough to punch a hole.

IMO, social grace is going downhill as everyone is caught up with the race to stay alive in this rising cost of living. Everyone is always 'busy with something' that they disregard with anyone around them.

I missed those kampong days where you really feel the closenesses with all the neighbours .

notupforit

THIS PLACE SUKS

Postby notupforit » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 7:05 pm

I agree with all you newbies saying you dislike it!! I have been here a few months and HATE it......I am sorry to offend but people are just plain rude....

The restaurants are not good and lets not get started on the service - you never get what you have ordered! I have lived in various parts of the world and heard good reviews about Singapore so I would like to know what planet these people were on?! This place is the most boring and sterile place I have ever been to but unfortunately my partner was relocated here so we have to smile sweetly until the contract is up!

Ok so the weather is always hot and you can travel - big whooo ho....You can do that just as easily and cheap in Europe or America!!!

I am lucky to have met a few people here and they ALL feel the same - in fact, one has left after 6 months as they hated it!!

Any locals that get offended - I am sorry BUT this is an EXPAT website.

jdroger1
Regular
Regular

Postby jdroger1 » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 9:22 pm

notupforit, you are awesome. You are so on the money I almost thought I wrote that myself....

notupforit

Unhappy in Sing

Postby notupforit » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:06 am

Oh I am being polite.....But lets face it I am only saying what so many others are thinking.....Get me the hell out of this creepy place ASAP!!!

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Unhappy in Sing

Postby local lad » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 9:47 am

notupforit wrote:Oh I am being polite.....But lets face it I am only saying what so many others are thinking.....Get me the hell out of this creepy place ASAP!!!

As the cliche goes, what's stopping you? Is it the money?

jdroger1
Regular
Regular

Postby jdroger1 » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:46 am

local lad wrote:
notupforit wrote:Oh I am being polite.....But lets face it I am only saying what so many others are thinking.....Get me the hell out of this creepy place ASAP!!!

Actually shocking as it may be to some locals, we all aren't here for the money. In fact, I could be making a lot more working in Europe as I was before coming here.

The case is that many of us have spouses that were sent here by their companies and we, of course, came with our spouses. So unfortunately, we can't get the hell out of this creepy place. Instead, we have to go through every day here wanting to scream at the locals about rudeness, lack of service, and just in general this being a 2nd class world compared to what most of us know.

So you can take your second rate Singapore dollar and keep it if that means that I can get on a plane tonight and get the hell out of here.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 1:14 pm

I've been following this thread for a bit, and while I wouldn't say I'm unhappy, I wouldnt say I'm happy either. The experiences many of you have had with singapore do resonate with me. I'm plodding on, and things are getting a little better, so things are looking up! It probably has something to do with the fact that my babies (twins, 16 months) are a little older, and getting a little easier to entertain. Though toddlers do have their own challenges as i'm sure many of you are aware.

Anyway, the reason I was posting was specifically to say to Sabs, and to ....oh gosh, i've forgotten her username....the young australian girl who is due to have her first baby, that it might be a good idea to contact the 'new mother's support group' - its singapore based organisation which provides support to new parents in Singapore. I don't know if its specifically expat focussed, but it has been mentioned to me a number of times by expat mums, so i'm guessing that there are plenty of expat mums who use their network. Here is the link.

http://www.nmsg-singapore.com/

I'd be happy to meet with you, but you should know, I'm one of the 'older' ones you were talking about!! :D

It must be pretty daunting for the two of you to be so new to Singapore, and with such a big change coming into your life soon. So I really feel for you. I hate to give unsolicited advice, but having (sort of) been in your situation, (pregnant, new city) its a good idea to make a few contacts with others in your situation before you give birth. Getting out and about in Singapore and being heavily pregnant is probably not a nice thought, but you'll be glad you did!

anyway, good luck. i hope the rest of your pregnancy(s) go smoothly.

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Postby notwavingdrowning » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 9:28 pm

jdroger1 wrote:
local lad wrote:

Actually shocking as it may be to some locals, we all aren't here for the money. In fact, I could be making a lot more working in Europe as I was before coming here.

The case is that many of us have spouses that were sent here by their companies and we, of course, came with our spouses. So unfortunately, we can't get the hell out of this creepy place. Instead, we have to go through every day here wanting to scream at the locals about rudeness, lack of service, and just in general this being a 2nd class world compared to what most of us know.

So you can take your second rate Singapore dollar and keep it if that means that I can get on a plane tonight and get the hell out of here.

jdroger1...You are seriously cracking me up...Keep it up...Please..I need the laughs..
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

ok lah

Postby ok lah » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 5:38 pm

jdroger1 wrote:Actually shocking as it may be to some locals, we all aren't here for the money. In fact, I could be making a lot more working in Europe as I was before coming here.

Well, I believe most Singaporeans are keeping it and you are still here ?

jdroger1
Regular
Regular

Postby jdroger1 » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 5:50 pm

Ok lah,

You clearly did not get the message that I was replying to local lad who insinuated that all expats come to this country and don't leave because they will become rich beyond their wildest dreams on this fabulous Singaporean dollar that everyone in the world clearly desires (we all know this because the value is so high compared to other currencies in first world countries...).

When I said you "could keep your second rate Singaporean dollar", I actually meant you could shove it where the sun don't shine because your money is a joke to anyone from the rest of the first world. Thus, your reply is nonsensical and bland. Of course we all know that Singaporeans are keeping their dollars, it's why they behave like cavemen that are entitled to the world to bow at their feet.

Clear now, lah?

ok lah

Postby ok lah » Fri, 04 Jul 2008 6:15 pm

jdroger1 wrote:Ok lah,

You clearly did not get the message that I was replying to local lad who insinuated that all expats come to this country and don't leave because they will become rich beyond their wildest dreams on this fabulous Singaporean dollar that everyone in the world clearly desires (we all know this because the value is so high compared to other currencies in first world countries...).

When I said you "could keep your second rate Singaporean dollar", I actually meant you could shove it where the sun don't shine because your money is a joke to anyone from the rest of the first world. Thus, your reply is nonsensical and bland. Of course we all know that Singaporeans are keeping their dollars, it's why they behave like cavemen that are entitled to the world to bow at their feet.

Clear now, lah?

Singaporeans get to keep their dough. However, no Singaporean is expecting all expats to keep Singapore dollar. As far as I know, most expats are given a higher pay , some tagged with expat package and mind you , they are paid in their home currency rate as compared with Singapore currency. No expat , as far as I know , is using Singapore currency to purchase things overseas.

Furthermore, local lad did not mention Singapore dollar. LL just mention money in general and you presume it is as such. So , who is the confused one?