Singapore Expats Forum

Dogs in condos

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Dogs in condos

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 3:28 pm

ozchick wrote:It's simple. The reason that we aren't allowed to drive at high speeds is 'cos we can't all be relied upon to do that with the required skills, aptitude etc that is required. So therefore such a concept is banned.

:???:

I think that one went slight askew if you ask me.....

One is banning ownership, the other is banning a concept (rule). Rightfully, your analogy doesn't work unless you "ban" owning cars unless you pass the requisite tests. (course here it's entirely possible that functional idjits can still get licenses - which is why I quit driving here).

In HDB, there is not a ban on "owning" dogs. But there is a concept (rule) that only dogs up to a certain size are allowable and only a certain number as well. However, even they get it wrong as they ban cats in HDB flats (but that's another topic).

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 5:33 pm

Maybe Singaporean dog owners should be compelled to buy Basenjis. :P

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 8:02 pm

Ozchick you really think all condos should ban all dogs? That's a bit draconian, no? The problem is, many people think small dogs belong in small spaces and many times this is a disaster. A Jack Russel for example has well-defined protection skills and is a high energy breed which belongs in a house with a big garden. Perhaps when you renew your lease you should look for a comples that does not allow dogs? There must be some out there?

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 8:28 am

She's saying that it might be worth it for some condos to ban dogs and advertise it as a selling point, so that people have a choice whether to live in a place that allows dogs or one that doesn't. Personally, let me know when they do the same thing for kids. :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 9:00 am

And home Karaoke systems! :mad:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 2:02 pm

Mm...having read all replies I'm still back at square one which is no surprise. What IS a surprise is that in such high-density living as in Sg, the problem of barking dogs appears to fall on deaf ears ! :wink:
Meanwhile, where is that 'utopia place' again?? I've looked on the map of the world and I can't see it anywhere ! Damn it all ! :-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 2:08 pm

ozchick wrote:What IS a surprise is that in such high-density living as in Sg, the problem of barking dogs appears to fall on deaf ears ! :wink:

Hey, everyone knows that Singaporeans have a knack for seeing no evil... not much of a leap to get to "hear no evil"! Get the government to make it a law and then no one will dare let it happen again. :wink:

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 6:01 pm

One of the examples I referred to earlier and a happy ending for the owner.

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/ju ... dog-fight/

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 9:34 pm

Turtle wrote:Hey, everyone knows that Singaporeans have a knack for seeing no evil... not much of a leap to get to "hear no evil"! Get the government to make it a law and then no one will dare let it happen again. :wink:

:wink: You obviously haven't been in too many HDB lift lobbies early in the morning. There's laws against littering as well. :roll:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 9:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: :wink: You obviously haven't been in too many HDB lift lobbies early in the morning. There's laws against littering as well. :roll:

i've seen worst. someone did a number 1 and number 2 in the lift!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 9:55 pm

All HDB lifts in Singers are immediately christened with Number 1's either by the toddlers or toddlers (babies and uncles). In most it's almost a nightly ritual. Even urine detectors don't deter the most determined! :o

mules
Regular
Regular

Postby mules » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 9:59 pm

next we'll be saying have kid free condos cos kids are irritating, messy and noisy too....

there's a range of issues that are annoying in our condo, and are in any condo we've lived in for that matter. watching people spit and pee in the pool is one of my pet hates.

it's life - lobby for change with the management if the dog is causing alot of issues. speak to the owners directly as well, as they may just not know their dog in barking endlessly when left alone.

good luck!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:46 pm

how about getting a sonic barking trainer. it's a device that emits a sonic pulse that dogs doesnt like. so everytime the dog barks, you emits the sonic pulse.

kapisce11

Re: Dogs in condos

Postby kapisce11 » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 8:30 pm

ozchick wrote:Can't get our condo management to act on our complaint about yapping dogs at all hours in our condo. I've been told that there are no condos where dogs are banned and that non dog owners just have to live with this problem. One young 'local' lady with whom I had to share our condo's elevator (barking dog in tow) told me that if I don't like it that I should go back to Australia cos "This is Singapore and this is what happens here"..Mm... how does one argue with such great intellectuals ? :?

Hi ozchick,
if the condo management's not helping and talking to the owners doesn't help, perhaps you could lodge a complaint with the neighbourhood police post and see what they say. I myself have a similar problem but the incessant yapping is coming from the condo opposite mine. no fun being woken up in the middle of the night by yapping dogs. sigh

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 8:51 pm

Ban?

Gee, I thought it was ever so Singaporean to ban things and over legislate, now it is too lax. Can;t have it both ways to suit you.

One young 'local' lady with whom I had to share our condo's elevator (barking dog in tow) told me that if I don't like it that I should go back to Australia cos "This is Singapore and this is what happens here"..Mm... how does one argue with such great intellectuals ?

I wonder how you approached the woman in the first place, given your obvious diplomatic skills and refinement.

Oddly enough I was watching Four Corners (being Ozchick you would know the show) on the TV tonight and the main story was about Muslims in Australia and the Cronulla riots and one of the mainstay arguments was spot on to your post. In this case it is well documented whereas your statement is only hearsay to us.

Ban cats and hamsters in condos as well. their hair flies all over the place and there are many people allergic to cat and hamster hair. Ban them.

You can file a formal complaint with the condo management, not sure if the police would be the appropriate venue, though.
- Thank God for Darwin -