Singapore Expats Forum

Well-dressed Singaporeans

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 7:56 pm

where-ever the brainwashing starts NS is the icing on the top. As ex military myself I know creased pants and shirts when I see them or the tragic uniformity of dress here, sure other places have uniforms but I think that uniformity has crept into the minds here to some extent (although thats asia in general) permeates from the top down, look how the Old man dresses, the only time you get to see LKY and CASUAL in a sentence is this one.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 9:00 pm

banana wrote:The enforcement of which might be a little more regimental here but what do you expect? Most highschool discipline masters are either menopausal women or ex army rejects. ........

.........Otherwise, I agree that creativity is lacking in young adults. Or at least the demonstration of which. Let's face it, Singapore is a young country run by and for old people. Even the 'cool' kids or entrepreneurs are, more often than not, people who have (or are perceived to have) inherited advantages.

Fair enough, but when I think of school uniforms I think of regimentation gone overboard. I'm not British or Aussie. About the only school "uniforms" I ever saw when growing up was the Catholic School in our town. Public Schools didn't wear uniforms. And creativity was encouraged rather than stifled because creativity by it's very nature is disruptive.

Singapore a young country run by and for old people? How so? I don't see much protection of the elderly here, especially anybody who is over 50 and still wants to work. It would seem to me to be just the opposite as once you reach 50 you are expendable and nothing but a perceived drain on the economy. Used up human capital! (I hate that phrase) People have been reduced to capital assets to be used for a number of years (depreciable assets) then just dumped or are often traded in for a new model even though the new model is untested and often unreliable.

Sorry, but it's a subject here that really rubs me the wrong way as MOM is scared S**tless to put any teeth into their laws, so instead of saying "YOU WILL or ELSE!" we end up with milquetoast like "you should do this or you should treat your workers fairly" but if you don't, never mind, we are only playing lipservice to the media but we are afraid if we put some fair laws in the MNCs might run away to Malaysia or Vietnam. Oh woe......

:wink: course my being 60+ don't help matters either!

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 9:22 pm

banana wrote:
Eh, schools in UK and Australia have uniform regulations as well. Might be a bit hasty to pin it on that. The enforcement of which might be a little more regimental here but what do you expect? Most highschool discipline masters are either menopausal women or ex army rejects.

Interesting characterisation

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:38 pm

Forks wrote:
banana wrote:
Eh, schools in UK and Australia have uniform regulations as well. Might be a bit hasty to pin it on that. The enforcement of which might be a little more regimental here but what do you expect? Most highschool discipline masters are either menopausal women or ex army rejects.

Interesting characterisation

My belief, is that the UK influence on Singapore, is to blame, the UK being very regimental in the 60's in which, the cane was often used to enforce the rules.

unfortunately being so poor, some couldn't afford the school uniform or meals, and where subsidise by welfare.

The only good thing i can remember about the uniform was, was that of loyalty and the competitive spirit, personally i couldn't give a damn, about the uniform, although it did have pro's & cons..

The bad point was, you was easy to spot on the way home from school, and risked a good kicking if out numbered. The system is still very prejudice in UK because of the class divide, so it would be uncommon for a working class family to get their kids in a school equivalent to Grammar School.

Also religion plays a major role in UK, if you are anything but Church of England, you haven't got a look in.

The UK was rigid about school uniforms and discriminates on religion, and class for higher profile schools like Grammar, and I wouldn't believe it to have changed in this day and age.

Although because of European law, they apply all the tricks, not to get caught, but a good example i can quote was a Chinese girl of 11, who was not only a top student in her school, but was chosen to represent the North West. She was refused a place in the Grammar School, because of her non religious beliefs, when, these were pointed out, her mother said they would choose the Church oF England,

It was obvious that the school would never bend tradition, for a good scholar, and I did witness the application and out come. :oops: :cry:

Most places being reserved for middle and high class families, it helped also if one was a Freemason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_uniform

SMS if I'm not mistaken even the MOM, ministry of manpower, was based on the UK system too, of civil servants. and in many cases, they don't know their own system, because it is far too complicated and hierarchial, for anyone of importance to be accountable, with lower ranks, told not to think for themselves. They are just paid to follow the SOP's and you are right about the lipservice, too, they are scared to lose the MNC, because that is all they have basically.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:08 pm

waitaminute, so your saying that if your dads a mason it helps to get into schools here, given that idea and how crazy people go to get their kids into schools either thats a well kept secret or the whole islands population is masons, Im going with the second option, it would explain a lot.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: the MNCs might run away to Malaysia or Vietnam. Oh woe......

:o I thought they already were.....:???:

course my being 60+ don't help matters either!

Perhaps nobody notices you now you are so thin. :P