Singapore Expats Forum

Well-dressed Singaporeans

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 9:54 am

durain wrote:in bermuda, it is normal to wear a bermuda shorts with a shirt and tie or with a suit! coooooool. :)

Many of your posts have great entertainment value and help to add some cheer to my sometimes dreary life. One day I may just piece them together and publish it into a book of jokes. :P

hk203
Regular
Regular

Re: Well-dressed Singaporeans

Postby hk203 » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 2:53 pm

\
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 4:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That or you would find out that he would actually have to be 172 years old in order to have done all of that. :shock: I would have to be probably 61! :P

Fair dinkum, YOU guys !
LOL :lol:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 21 Jun 2008 2:09 am

earthfriendly wrote:
ksl wrote: My present wife was asking me if i had any children out here :oops:

:shock: Your wife is brave lady marrying you with such doubts in her mind. Why did you come back to SG? To relive the good old days :P .

It never fails to amaze me how each thread you respond to would include little anecdotes of your persoanl life. If I start piecing your posts together, I can probably publish a biography of your life :P .

It's called an healing process, I was thinking to write a book myself actually. :) I have at least enough for another two books, :lol:

SMS I nearly took the bait :lol: But decided to delete it all :lol: It must be old age :roll: reminiscing! EF I have had a scary life, and yes, I could write a book.
My mates and teachers back home envy me, and I envy them, for me the cards are just dealt I have had a lot of bad luck in my life in fact from the day i was born, but one of the finest mothers in the world, that raised her kids right, I know what poverty is, because i lived in it, and if there was a welfare state in the UK in the 50's I don't think we knew about it, otherwise i wouldn't have been picking coal off the railway lines, and weighing in the rags and newspapers. I'm not complaining about it, but you have to live it to understand, what drives people.

I have to deal with it, and believe me, I've almost been dead 4 times in my short life twice in the military and twice out of it, so I live rather than work these days, especially because i have a 7 year old daughter, and having missed out on raising kids once, but my biggest problem in life, was rehabilitating after an end of my military career.

I have never adapted to civvy life, and i never will now, that's for sure. But I'm a very wise person and have made an effort in my life to better it, and i have..to the extent, where I can now use my brains in stead of my muscles, I may not be the cleverest person,in the world but when it comes to practical experience I've done hell of a lot, and am still learning.

Now I will enjoy my beer :lol: the first for a very long while. :)

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:47 pm

ksl wrote:
Have you ever heard of a knee trembler, I had this beauty up against a wall, smooching away, after a heavy night of enjoyment...

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:52 pm

Sorry, reply above decided to send without permission but now ksl I want you to stop this. I'm sad now when you talk about the other ladies like this. :wink:
You know how I feel about you and you're just saying this stuff to make me jealous and it's NOT working ! :evil:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 2:21 pm

ozchick wrote:Sorry, reply above decided to send without permission but now ksl I want you to stop this. I'm sad now when you talk about the other ladies like this. :wink:
You know how I feel about you and you're just saying this stuff to make me jealous and it's NOT working ! :evil:
Oh gosh :oops: It was certainly no lady :shock:

I was really tricked into a false state of security, and being so young at the time, my knees just couldn't stop trembling :roll: From that day forth, I was looked after by a more mature Australian woman, she became my guardian angel in Singapore, and kept me safe :oops: being a good catholic boy, i did confess!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 5:36 pm

ksl wrote: being a good catholic boy, i did confess!

:-k or should I have used this emoticon instead? :^o :lol:

hoon

Singapore

Postby hoon » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 5:47 pm

Being a local yes i agree we locals do dress up abit more...
Well most locals at least cause i don't i love my berms/shorts n tee i mean in an environment like this y the hell u want long pants for?
But its the way singapore is, we singaporeans r quick to draw conclusions not well dress means poorer or whatever, which i disagree with
I guess that makes singaporeans alot more uptight too

What do u guys think?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Singapore

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 8:01 pm

hoon wrote:I guess that makes singaporeans alot more uptight too

What do u guys think?

hey Hoon, Singaporeans may be uptight about dressing but folks here are rather uptight about proper spelling. You'll get friendlier replies if you stop using sms language and spelt out the full words. Yea, kind of like wearing long pants compared to berms but hey, it gets you better treatment! :wink:

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:38 pm

Singapore ladies in general look pretty sharp but I think two years NS has helped give the men that regimented nerd look that seems to the norm here.

Those leather cell phone things on the belt (what no pocket protector?), the comb in the pocket, the pants up high and the shirt just so, looks neat but very uniform. This of course excepts the uncles at the hawker center who live in shorts, singlet and flip flops rain or shine.

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 8:34 am

Forks wrote:Singapore ladies in general look pretty sharp but I think two years NS has helped give the men that regimented nerd look that seems to the norm here.

Maybe not the look, but one thing I learned from NS that was drilled into us day after day - never, ever, ever be the one guy who looks or does things different from everybody else. Standing out = bad. If everyone looks stupid, well, suck it up and look stupid too, because the one thing worse than looking stupid is looking different (because that makes you look stupid as well as weird, like "why doesn't he dress like normal people? he must be stupid").

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 8:43 am

buddy you hit the nail on the head. :shock: :???: :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 9:44 am

This is not a product of NS. It started much much earlier. Like K1 & K2 and on for the next 10 to 12 years. It's called regimentation and it starts the day you start K1 when you are told to wear a uniform that much conform down to the millimetre how long it should be, how much blousing at the waist, what colour you are is and how long you are allowed to wear it. This, from a socio-economic point of view is a great leveler of strata/class but it also stifles independent thought & creativity in my impression. It's tends to create robotic masses and when they get out of school then they tend to dress in total conformity as well when their creativity should be skyrocketing. There are obviously those who manage to excel in spite of the regimentation but that may also be one of the reason that "real" entrepreneurship seems be a difficult thing to find here if the government is to be believed.

codicil: Only my opinion.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:This is not a product of NS. It started much much earlier. Like K1 & K2 and on for the next 10 to 12 years. It's called regimentation and it starts the day you start K1 when you are told to wear a uniform that much conform down to the millimetre how long it should be, how much blousing at the waist, what colour you are is and how long you are allowed to wear it. This, from a socio-economic point of view is a great leveler of strata/class but it also stifles independent thought & creativity in my impression. It's tends to create robotic masses and when they get out of school then they tend to dress in total conformity as well when their creativity should be skyrocketing. There are obviously those who manage to excel in spite of the regimentation but that may also be one of the reason that "real" entrepreneurship seems be a difficult thing to find here if the government is to be believed.

codicil: Only my opinion.

Eh, schools in UK and Australia have uniform regulations as well. Might be a bit hasty to pin it on that. The enforcement of which might be a little more regimental here but what do you expect? Most highschool discipline masters are either menopausal women or ex army rejects.

What Turtle said is true to some extent. You get the weirdos in high school being picked on for not being regular nor with the "cool" crowd, just like any other high school in the world. It is in NS though, that the consequences of standing out become much heavier and consistent.

Otherwise, I agree that creativity is lacking in young adults. Or at least the demonstration of which. Let's face it, Singapore is a young country run by and for old people. Even the 'cool' kids or entrepreneurs are, more often than not, people who have (or are perceived to have) inherited advantages.
some signatures are more equal than others