Singapore Expats Forum

Well-dressed Singaporeans

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Well-dressed Singaporeans

Postby ozchick » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 4:19 pm

A few visitors from home have commented on the fact that Singaporeans, specifically the women seem to take a real pride in their sense of dress. I'd never considered this before but I took note and generally yeah I reckon this is right. A touch of class for sure.
But I feel sorry for men who have to wear a long-sleeved shirt and tie. Discriminatory almost. At my work-place this is the case and really, although it looks great, it's quite ridiculous considering the climate. But this is done all over the world yeah ?
(Feel a song coming on:"Strange days indeed- most peculiar Mama").
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 8:16 pm

in singapore i used to have to wear at minimum, shirt and pants. or the supervisors will yell and talk to me about unprofessionalism.

away from singapore, where i work now (in the same industry/setting), i can wear a t-shirt and non-work-type trousers (eg, cargo pants, jeans).

nobody cares! so... not necessarily all over the world. i guess it depends on what you do. i know in singapore, there're dress codes in call centers!!!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 8:46 pm

Ah, Ozchick. You must have seen me walk past. :cool: :lol:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 8:51 pm

in bermuda, it is normal to wear a bermuda shorts with a shirt and tie or with a suit! coooooool. :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:08 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Ah, Ozchick. You must have seen me walk past. :cool: :lol:

WOW! Was that really you WIMH :love: :oops: I see so many well dressed women, it's an inspiration to see, keep it up ladies,

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:17 pm

Yeah, I have to admit, they are finally coming of age. Singaporean women used to have lousy dress sense back in the seventies & eighties and early 90's.

ksl, I know you know what I mean because you were around then as well, just like me. It used to be that the best dressed women - weren't! women that is!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, I have to admit, they are finally coming of age. Singaporean women used to have lousy dress sense back in the seventies & eighties and early 90's.

ksl, I know you know what I mean because you were around then as well, just like me. It used to be that the best dressed women - weren't! women that is!
:wink: and that i found out on my first night in Singapore :oops: :twisted: If I'm not wrong I think the SPG nick was introduced by the military, when they started inviting local females to the squadron parties. I think they looked really cute in the sarong in those days. Cathy hotel is still there i notice, but not a hotel any longer, they used to have a pool on the roof, and a nightclub, all the waitresses wore sarongs and had orchids around their neck. very nice too, I must admit :P
Last edited by ksl on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:05 pm

ksl wrote:and that i found out on my first night in Singapore :oops: :twisted:

:lol:

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:32 am

ksl wrote:i found out on my first night in Singapore :oops: :twisted:

ksl, in this instance, feel free to go nuts with the details. :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 1:06 am

banana wrote:

Have you ever heard of a knee trembler, I had this beauty up against a wall, smooching away, after a heavy night of enjoyment, only to be instantly shocked to find a pair of testicles drop into my hand in a public place, and a pair of boobies stuck between my eyes, I thought i was tripping out! I was a very young 21 year old, in a very strange place of which i had never ever seen before in my life.

Although I am a womans man :wink: it did make me very careful after the incident. I must admit, they were better dressed than the women in those days. Singapore was one of the best postings one could wish for in those days. Even the tourist post cards, and indoor banners used to say welcome to SIN CITY, it really was a fantastic place.

Buzzing with life! and good looking girls. My present wife was asking me if i had any children out here :oops: But actually I was well behaved, or was it fear :roll:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 5:49 am

ksl wrote:
banana wrote:

Have you ever heard of a knee trembler, I had this beauty up against a wall, smooching away, after a heavy night of enjoyment, only to be instantly shocked to find a pair of testicles drop into my hand in a public place, and a pair of boobies stuck between my eyes, I thought i was tripping out! I was a very young 21 year old, in a very strange place of which i had never ever seen before in my life.

Although I am a womans man :wink: it did make me very careful after the incident. I must admit, they were better dressed than the women in those days. Singapore was one of the best postings one could wish for in those days. Even the tourist post cards, and indoor banners used to say welcome to SIN CITY, it really was a fantastic place.

Buzzing with life! and good looking girls. My present wife was asking me if i had any children out here :oops: But actually I was well behaved, or was it fear :roll:

bugis street? :P

Nailah
Regular
Regular

Postby Nailah » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 8:58 am

durain wrote:bugis street? :P

Maybe Orchard Tower...? Oh no wait... sorry that depends on the age of ksl's story... :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 9:06 am

It was Bugis Street! I can vouch for that (we've been here for donkey's years). I passed through Singapore on R&R from the NAM way, way back in '67 which even predated ksl's tour of duty here in Singapore with the British Forces. :cool:

Singapore was fun back then! :shock:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 9:44 am

ksl wrote: My present wife was asking me if i had any children out here :oops:

:shock: Your wife is brave lady marrying you with such doubts in her mind. Why did you come back to SG? To relive the good old days :P .

It never fails to amaze me how each thread you respond to would include little anecdotes of your persoanl life. If I start piecing your posts together, I can probably publish a biography of your life :P .

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 9:53 am

That or you would find out that he would actually have to be 172 years old in order to have done all of that. :shock: I would have to be probably 61! :P