Singapore Expats Forum

Aussie new to Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
roninfyc

Postby roninfyc » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:00 pm

would like to know new ppl too. roninfyc@gmail.com here.

joski

Postby joski » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:21 pm

Hi Shells,

Also an aussie gal- but having been living in the Uk for the past couple of years- would love to catch up some time .....

nothing like some new friendly faces to make the move a little easier !

Jo

doncare2002

friend

Postby doncare2002 » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:29 pm

hihi everyone...... maybe it is time for the expat to look for local friend if they really want to know more about singapore and experience singapore life...... dun u go to a country and know their fellow citizen to have a better understanding of their culture and lifestyle??
Last edited by doncare2002 on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loulou

Postby loulou » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 9:47 pm

Hi Shells...i'm a female Aussie expat that comes to Singapore every month or so. I really miss Aus when I'm here.

Would be great to meet up with some mates for coffee, shopping whatever really!

mrsmonkie
Regular
Regular

Postby mrsmonkie » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:35 pm

Hi Loulou

Wow going back and forth must be tiring. How often do you stay when you come to Singers?

I'm originally from Sydney, where abouts do you call home in Australia?

Would love to catch up with a fellow Aussie for coffee or a drink :) Just drop me a PM if you want.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: friend

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:28 am

doncare2002 wrote:...... dun u go to a country and know their fellow citizen to have a better understanding of their culture and lifestyle??

Actually, no. Most don't. (I'm not speaking for myself here - after a quarter of a century married to a "local" - I'm way, way beyond that) Most go to another country because their company sent them or they see a good opportunity to make good money. It's hard to feel "wanted" by the general population. This is especially, when you meet a group of office colleagues when then sit around and continue to talk in dialect or mandarin or tamil or malay without giving a thought to the non-speakers in the group. Social graces are very much lacking here as has been noted both here and this past week in the newspapers. (Again!) So without many redeeming social graces, why would anyone want to subject themselves to that kind of treatment.

Chew on that for a while........

dvj_cool

hi

Postby dvj_cool » Wed, 20 Aug 2008 4:40 pm

HI
we are meeting at following place on thursday nite. at 7:30 pm.
Join in.. more the better :D

BRUSSELS SPROUTS
80 Mohamed Sultan Road #01-12
The Pier@Robertson
Singapore 239013
www.brusselssprouts.com.sg

and here's the map for robertson walk
http://sg.shownearby.com/places/23gnu-d ... n_walk/map

Princess M

Postby Princess M » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 9:47 pm

Hi All,

I'm Singaporean, 27, consultant, been living in Australia for a while, (in Brisbane and now in WA) so I know wat's it feel to miss home etc, and i do enjoy my time here in Australia.

Will be heading back to singapore soon, but i will still miss Australia, afterall i spend quite abit of time here... I'll miss Gold Coast the most...

Well, I'm writing in this forum for 2 things:

- Firstly, What's nice here in WA, wana make most of my time here and
- Update of Singapore, if there's any changes since Jan 08.

Cheers!

Princess M

Postby Princess M » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 9:47 pm

Hi All,

I'm Singaporean, 27, consultant, been living in Australia for a while, (in Brisbane and now in WA) so I know wat's it feel to miss home etc, and i do enjoy my time here in Australia.

Will be heading back to singapore soon, but i will still miss Australia, afterall i spend quite abit of time here... I'll miss Gold Coast the most...

Well, I'm writing in this forum for 2 things:

- Firstly, What's nice here in WA, wana make most of my time here and
- Update of Singapore, if there's any changes since Jan 08.

Cheers!

vinc_via

Postby vinc_via » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 2:52 pm

gosh.. what sundaymorningstaple mentioned above is sooo true... i get that so many times but get it worse cos i am Asian... once i had a remark put to me that i was a disgrace to the Chinese for not being able to speak Mandarin...

anyway, good thing is that Singapore is actually filled with expats so i dont foresee any of you having trouble hooking up friends...

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 4:14 pm

Princess M:

First, WA: Ms C and I have always enjoyed the art and restaurant scene. Margaret River area is a must, as is Monkey Mia and Shark Bay. Scoot over to Rottnest. PLEASE make the time do do the Kimberly properly (use Broome as a starting point) - hint, book that trip from Perth as you will find it cheaper than using the local operators at Broome.

Second, changes in SIN since JAN08: We moved here in FEB08, so we're no experts! Prices have gone up, particularly for food. Residential rents seem to be stabilising (but there seem to be differing opinions on that - so have a search through the forum for the views). The new line on the MRT is opening later this year (I think???? Can someone confirm???) COE prices seem to be stabilising. Inflation is up.

I'm sure those with more detailed knowledge will be able to help you out - especially with the changes here.

HTH, Mr P and Ms C

Ian33

Any room for the Irish?

Postby Ian33 » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 5:31 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this post has become a haven for Aussies only yet :)

I'm from Ireland...looking to meet up with other expats as well...been here a number of weeks but yet to put myself about properly...would be cool to do a few trips into Malaysia as well at some stage, as well as just hang out for beers and dinner etc...

I don't like posting my email on a public forum like this and pm's are seemingly only available after a number of postings...

...so let me know if the Aussies here wanna trade drinking stories with the Irish anyway ;)

Cheers,
Ian

vjsimon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vjsimon » Sat, 30 Aug 2008 4:23 pm

I am interested in meeting and making new friends... Do contact me and keep me in the loop for the outings... Thank you... :)

jen26

New to singapore

Postby jen26 » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 2:53 pm

Hi Shell,

I am new to this place too. Im 26/f from england and only been here a week. Im into going out for drinks and dinners and def need a travel companion round this part of the world, really wanting to check out near by places like Bali, Malaysia and Cambodia etc...

Email address is jen29southern@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Jen :)

cool_nich
Regular
Regular

Postby cool_nich » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 7:04 pm

so many newbie here
hahaahahah
welcome to singapore then