Singapore Expats Forum

Art Director from Australia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kuro

Art Director from Australia

Postby Kuro » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 8:03 am

Hi guys,
Ive been reading the posts on the forums, especially the advertising post.
As an Art Director who wants to go over to Singapore to work, how does one go about this?
As to qualify for a work pass, I need an employer to sponsor me.

I just wanted you see how most people obtain work over there through the ad industry.

There is one guy here at work who has worked in Malaysia and Singapore before, he reckons its ok to just go over there on a 'holiday' and just freelance whilst he is there.

This seemed a bit dodgy to me, but he was adamant that this is common practise. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Art Director from Australia

Postby Plavt » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 2:35 pm

Kuro wrote:Hi guys,

There is one guy here at work who has worked in Malaysia and Singapore before, he reckons its ok to just go over there on a 'holiday' and just freelance whilst he is there.

This seemed a bit dodgy to me, but he was adamant that this is common practise. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Don't even think about it, he may not be telling the truth and if he is he is taking an enormous chance. Even though I have only visited the country more than once people tell me illegal immigrants for example are quickly rounded up. Since I am in no doubt that is true I would imagine the same to be true of illegal workers. By the way the penalties are severe.

Kuro

Postby Kuro » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 5:14 pm

cheers, thanks for the reply.
so i guess the only way to get in there is if you already have an employer who is willing to sponsor you?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 5:47 pm

Illegal working is not the way, a couple of western businessmen, found this out last year!

http://www.corpun.com/singfeat.htm

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 6:35 pm

To be honest, it is quite common in the ad industry here for creatives from Australia and elsewhere to do just that: ie. come here on holiday and 'freelance'. I mention Australia because I personally know of two or three guys from there who are doing just that at the moment. But as KSL says, it has its risks.

If you are serious about working here, you can come over for a couple of weeks and try and get some interviews. Unfortunately, unless you are very lucky or talented (or preferably both) they won't want to hire you without trying you out first.

Even if you do get offered a job, getting that Employment Pass can take quite some time and many employers will have you working 'freelance' while they wait for it to process.

If I were you, I'd google the names of the CDs of the leading shops here and email them some of your work with a polite covering letter. tell them you'll be coming over for a couple of weeks (give them the dates) and tell them you'll be phoning them to see if can take a few minutes to see you. If you have some awards under your belt you'll have a much easier time getting to see these guys.

The other way is to check jobs available in Singapore through headhunters like Aquent.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 7:44 pm

I find it curious that these agencies are willing to take such risks especially in view of Singapore's well known reputation for not treating offenders lightly.
One man's meat is another's poison.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:06 pm

Good talent is hard to find!

You would not believe what MOM turns a blind eye to nowdays. It's enough to remind you of Indonesia where anything is possible. The "S" Pass situation is becoming a running joke here now.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:51 pm

I think its quite easy to do it legally, on a 3 months pass, it covers the freelance kind of problem....were you can actively go out looking for work as a freelancer or consultant, I recall the court case of the foreigners, when the judge asked them why they didn't just apply for the 3 month short working visa...it covers people in the entertainment business, and arts, so I guess it also means graphic artists too, many of which may come with exhibition of their work for display and even teach.

The country needs the talent and inspiration

MOM will put you on the right track, or use the new 7000$ rule to come and seek work. There are legal ways, that's what the judge explained to the two guys, they were consultants I believe, but never declared, that they was working in Singapore. Someone leaked the information!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:11 am

For clarification, the 3 month visa does not apply to graphic artists but used to apply to performing artists which is considerably different. Band, Comics, Stage Artists and the like. They are now covered under Work Permit (Performing Artistes). The short term visa is now very stringent on what it covers (see the link for details) and it also doesn't cover the freelance type of thing either. Miscellaneous_Work_Pass

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:52 am

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]For clarification, the 3 month visa does not apply to graphic artists but used to apply to performing artists which is considerably different. Band, Comics, Stage Artists and the like. They are now covered under Work Permit (Performing Artistes). The short term visa is now very stringent on what it covers (see the link for details) and it also doesn't cover the freelance type of thing either. Miscellaneous_Work_Pass[/quote

PEP is the only way i guess then!

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 2:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good talent is hard to find!

You would not believe what MOM turns a blind eye to nowdays. It's enough to remind you of Indonesia where anything is possible. The "S" Pass situation is becoming a running joke here now.

It all sounds rather worrying to me. The goverment is going from one extreme to the other. Years ago, even Singaporean women were hard pressed to be able to apply for PR for their foreign spouses (a really stupid rule) but the reverse wasn't true. Now it almost sounds like it's a free for all and sundry. Going by what I read on the expat forums, there seems to be no shortage of foreign hookers plying their trade in Singapore. How and why is that allowed to happen? And to top that, some of the attitudes presented by some posters (who shall remain nameless :P :roll: ) I have to wonder if Singapore's becoming too lax with her screening process and procedures in her efforts to fill the labour gap.

Please bring me up to speed. What's an S pass holder? Thanks.
One man's meat is another's poison.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 8:52 am

Global Citizen wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good talent is hard to find!

It all sounds rather worrying to me. The goverment is going from one extreme to the other. Years ago, even Singaporean women were hard pressed to be able to apply for PR for their foreign spouses (a really stupid rule) but the reverse wasn't true. Now it almost sounds like it's a free for all and sundry. Going by what I read on the expat forums, there seems to be no shortage of foreign hookers plying their trade in Singapore. How and why is that allowed to happen? And to top that, some of the attitudes presented by some posters (who shall remain nameless :P :roll: ) I have to wonder if Singapore's becoming too lax with her screening process and procedures in her efforts to fill the labour gap.

Please bring me up to speed. What's an S pass holder? Thanks.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

Basically it is somewhere between a Work Permit and an Employment Pass (it's the lowest rung on the Employment Pass ladder). It's being abused like you wouldn't believe (with both employer & employee joint culpability). It's being used like a subsistence paid visa which give them 12~24 months to find a new job or get PR or both as the case may be. Certain regional neighbours are using this method big time. (our newest low cost labour imports).

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:50 am

In terms of risks to agencies about hiring foreign freelancers who don't have either an EP (which freelancers won't get anyway) or PR, these risks are very calculated and pretty minimal. Freelance creatives are usually hired on a week-by-week or month-by-month basis and are required to submit invoices weekly or monthly before they are paid.

I would imagine that, if the smelly stuff hits the fan, the agencies will simply claim that they were under the impression these guys were PR sole traders offering professional consultancy services. After all, you don't usually check if your aircon technician is a PR do you?

It's all about that favourite expression of senior ministers and government officials: "being pragmatic"...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:50 am

addidude, that's where the smelly stuff comes in. All companies paying invoices should ensure that the invoice contains the ROB or ROC number. Otherwise the document isn't a legal one. (Registry of Businesses for Consultants & Businesses, ROC for Companies) Otherwise, the burden falls on the agency just the the burden falls on the homeowner if they rent out to illegal overstayers or non-employment authorized persons. What's the common expression? Ignorance of the law is no excuse? It's just like the laws regarding the hiring of subcontract labour. If the work your hours then they should be employees and the employers are required to pay CPF for them (obviously I'm not making a direct comparison with graphic artists here) but talking about the burden of proof attitude of the government.

I'm also not saying is isn't done as I know it is as well, it's just we have to make sure we are not advising someone to do something on this forum that is illegal. We don't want to get our hosts into trouble do we. I kinda like this sandbox! :wink:

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:30 pm

Well, I never said that the agencies concerned would get away with it. But this is what they try to do. I certainly wouldn't be the one to advise the OP to try and cheat on the system. In my case, I was hired through an ad my first agency in Songapore ran in the UK. I think the OP would be best advised to a) check if his current agency (if he has one) has an office in Singapore and try for an internal transfer; b) Check with recruitment agencies like Aquent (as mentioned); c) Come over on spec but be prepared (financially and otherwise) to wait for both the opportunity and the paperwork to be done. I'm actually a bit surprised that the OP wants to come here - I suspect there might be more and better creative opportunities in Oz.