Singapore Expats Forum

Remote Control Kites- be wary

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Remote Control Kites- be wary

Postby ozchick » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 2:39 pm

You've all seen them at Riverside Point no doubt. They look like great fun too ! So I bought one of these a few months back $800 + for a lot of disappointment. The CD to load the program onto my laptop to practise simulation was blank. Back into town to get new CD. Instructions in writing totally lacking and ambiguous. Still getting nowhere with program in analogue form. Attempt simulation on and off over weeks all to no avail....Back to into town to be told that the connection cable for the remote to computer port is faulty. Sigh.......Cable gets exchanged.
Practise simulation at their store, AFTER trying to understand/tolerate the very poor English and 'attitude', not to mention being coughed all over and assisted by staff with disgusting cold...sigh.
Bring kit and new cable home and it won't work on my laptop. Going back today to cop more germs and unprofessional assistance. Taking the laptop too this time. No enthusiasm left. Has anyone else had ANY success with this concept ? So disappointing. :cry:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:04 pm

As with any RC model ..theres a few do' n dont;s you should be aware of.

Goggle some of the more popular sites for info advice.

If you get stuck let me know

There'sa local site with plenty of knowledagble people but a naff name
http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/index.php

If you get stuck give me shout ( been flying gas and electric heli's for years)

Cheers

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks BF. Reckon I still owe you from last time- ooh this technology stuff- I keep gettin' burned ! :oops:
Some good news. I Have the program installed on my lap-top and am practising stage one simulation. He he..I'm not allowed practise the 'real' thing apparently until I'm past stage 4 ! Guess they can't stop me... but I can just imagine my kite flying out of my vision into that 'no-go military zone' at the end of Hillview Ave. The dudes in there will probaly shoot it down and then come after me as well ! :(
Meanwhile in simulation mode, I'm crashing and burning big-time at stage one. My plane is either heading for the moon or heading for the dirt ! Those joysticks are touchy little suckers !
D'ya reckon I will have earned my stripes by the time I'm ready for the Queen's telegram ! :)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:56 am

let me know which sim program you're using.

Try and look for something called exponential on the joy stick settings.
This makes them less sensitive at mid stick
Also an idea of which TX ( nick name for tramsmitter) you're using would help me help you.

Good luck