Singapore Expats

Any advice on learning Mandarin Chinese in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
madura
Chatter
Chatter

Re: What about Thai?

Post by madura » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 7:10 pm

wudangtiger wrote:If anyone has recommendations for learning Thai (east area please, possibly central), I would be much obliged.
NUS extension.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:03 am

The class in Liang Court near MOS is not bad I reckon.

Toyo Pencil

Language Exchange

Post by Toyo Pencil » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 7:57 pm

Hi, I speak mandarin as my 1st languge and My English is reasonable ok. It is time to brush up my English and I am looking for a person who can speak Madarin and would like to improve it.

Scheduling is flexible for me. I stay around Eunos.

Pls leave your message or email [email protected] if you are interested in it.

Thank you. :D

Hactar

Post by Hactar » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 9:40 pm

The class in Liang Court near MOS is not bad I reckon.
I live near Liang Court and I am interested in the class you mention. Do you know whom I should contact for this? I think I prefer to have a class, and not private tuition.

I have had 2 years of Mandarin lessons already, so I do have some background. Furthermore I can speak decent thai, so the tones are no problem for me.
"Kings and lords come and go and leave nothing but statues in a desert, while a couple of young men tinkering in a workshop change the way the world works." - The Patrician (in 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett)

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 4:19 pm

hometutors.sg wrote:
ching wrote:Hi, I haven't tried private tuition but I've gone to the classes held by the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce (Institute of Business - SCCIOB). http://www.scciob.edu.sg

Their Gateway to Mandarin class is quite good, very structured and needs no previous experience. If you're taking Level 1, there's no entrance test.

Here's the link to the class:
http://www.scciob.edu.sg/index.cfm?GPID=15

They're not extremely near Holland Village, but they're just a short walk from City Hall MRT.

My experience with software (other languages, not Chinese) is that I tend to give up after a while as I am just doing it on my own... and when actually speaking the language I make some silly mistakes if there is nobody to practice with who can correct me.
I have a Swiss friend who took the level 1 course and dropped out soon after due to his busy schedule. I saw the book as well. I would say its not so interesting and helpful for someone who need to pick up the language fast. For example they would dedicate 1 to 2 pages to teach you how to read a clock or time. :)
I studied in scciob for two years. I just quit a couple of months ago.
I have to be careful in saying this (to stick to the fact) - but they have changed since 2 years ago. I agree the gateway program is structured and good, but since the inflation kicked in, instead of increasing price, they cramped the syllabus. Hence, the book they use has 12 chapters, designed for 12 weeks study. Now people will have to contend with 12 chapters in 10 weeks - same price.
Upto certain level it is okay. However when the going starts to get tough, ie you are a real busy guy, with travels etc and can only afford to do 6-8 hours study in 1-2 days per week, you will struggle with that syllabus. Also, it is near impossible for the teacher to teach you all those stuff in shortened timeframe, in the end the mode they are "teaching" is to ask you to study yourself at home, and the only thing they can do in class is to answer questions and do very few of the exercises.
Again, in the lower classes it is alright, but once you climbed up the ladder, this is just bad. They should charge me 10% more and still give me 12 weeks per level, I would have stayed.
I know different folks different stroke and what have you - so the above is just for your consideration.

I am looking for a new place to study - it is a pity, scciob has been very good place and I have a lot of satisfied friend who studied there and came out learning very well.. I guess time always change.

Ms.Sylvia

Post by Ms.Sylvia » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 8:22 pm

agapedage wrote:If I want to learn any language, I prefer a private tutor, you can learn more in one to one tutoring. Any suggest?
My private Mandarin tutor is very good. She's fluent in both Mandarin and English. You can email her and let her know Sylvia Birkin recommended you. I am now able to converse in basic mandarin.

[email protected]