Singapore Expats Forum

Eastern Europe

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
looking0905

Eastern Europe

Postby looking0905 » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:36 am

Has anyone ever travelled to Eastern Europe in summer? I'm thinking of starting in Prague and moving up to Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia.
My travel guidebook says hotels are fully booked. Which makes me wonder whether I should even book a flight. Catch 22.
Doesn't seem like ANY tour operators deal with eastern europe. Any idea where to find one that does?
Or any other advice on these countries if I decide to travel alone?

malteser1

Plenty of hotels

Postby malteser1 » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:15 am

Hi, I've been to Prague a couple of times when I lived in Europe, it's a gorgeous city. Unfortunately since the Brits have ear-marked it as a stag-do weekend place, more shady bars and clubs have popped up but overall it's still one of the jewels of Europe.

There are hundreds of hotels, so I find it hard to believe they're all fully booked; try lastminute.com and do a search for hotel only, you can sort the answer by price or quality, depending on what's more important to you. Don't bother searching for flight+hotel as you can normally get a better deal directly from the airline website.

I found the majority of Eastern Europeans to be very friendly and most tourist information desks would have at least one person who can make him/herself understood in English. You shouldn't have a problem getting around from one city to another once you get there.

Hope this helps

freecat

Postby freecat » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 4:27 pm

hi
Prague is a most beautiful city I've ever seen, so is a good place to start , Riga Latvia is very good to see too, i didn't like Vilnus though,,,and try not to book hotels for Praque on line.....you might be in for surprise when you reach, especially not during European holidays :shock: