Singapore Expats Forum

Most Romantic place in Japan?????

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:14 pm

EADG wrote:I'd have to agree with Plavt on the kimono thingy, not so much on the offesive part but you need to know your fiance would actually go for that and not feel odd as that's how it would kinda be. There's a lot of culture surrounding it that you'd need to bone upon before embarking on that, it would hard to arrange, and quite difficult unless you spoke Japanese well. And expensive.

The idea of Tokyo Tower was about the only thing I was going to suggest when I saw this last night. They also have a big ferris wheel just outside the city near Tokyo Disneyland. Pretty nice there.

Japan is probably more romatic to a foreinger than those living there, many of whom would probably go somewhere like Europe or Hawaii or Bali for someplace romantic.

The onsen/ryokan idea in a place like Hakone or Kyoto is not a bad choice, either, though a bit on the reserved side. Don't get me wrong, I love those places but would not be my first choice to propose.

Fuji is beautiful from afar, but pretty ugly up close, as in on the mountain.

A nice place, however, is lake Kawaguchiko, which looks out on Mt. Fuji
http://tamara1beth2eslinstructors.com/K ... 20Fuji.jpg

You won't get much snow for the traditional Fuji view this time of year though, but it's still beautiful. What you can get from around now until mid-August are the summer festivals like the hanabi matsuri in any town if you like a traditional setting and to view fireworks the Japanese way. Very nice. That's one of the few places I'd wear a yukata as a foreinger.

Kanegawa on the west coast is also nice.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you for the suggestions... I've done a search on the lake, and i think it's gorgeous. Now, i am just thinking of a way to get there from Tokyo. Btw, what's your take on Tokyo Tower? With all the tourist and crowd, not sure if it would be good to pop the question.. haha

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:15 am

if you do it at the tower you might want to do it on a clear night, if Sunday it may not be too crowded

not sure about the privacy, for that the big ferris wheel may be better, people do all kinds of things in that

re the lake, there's lot of tours that leave from Tokyo, should not be hard to find here or there

"haha" ?
SittingBull wrote: Btw, what's your take on Tokyo Tower? With all the tourist and crowd, not sure if it would be good to pop the question.. haha
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:13 am

EADG wrote:if you do it at the tower you might want to do it on a clear night, if Sunday it may not be too crowded

not sure about the privacy, for that the big ferris wheel may be better, people do all kinds of things in that

re the lake, there's lot of tours that leave from Tokyo, should not be hard to find here or there

"haha" ?
SittingBull wrote: Btw, what's your take on Tokyo Tower? With all the tourist and crowd, not sure if it would be good to pop the question.. haha

haha as in nervous laughter..

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:06 pm

Hi, i've come to know of this site by chance, and it lists the most romantic places to propose in Japan. http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/querea ... ml?1+17591

Basically, it boils down to these few places.

1) Tokyo Tower
2) Hakone
3) Kiyomizu dera Temple
4) Nanzenji
5) Osaka Castle
6) Rikugien Garden
7) Odaiba

Still undecided though... btw, anybody has been to Rikugien Garden??

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:32 am

SittingBull wrote:H

That would sound a good idea but then Tokyo is always so busy. I still think Hakone is the best bet.

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 3:13 pm

Plavt wrote:
SittingBull wrote:H

That would sound a good idea but then Tokyo is always so busy. I still think Hakone is the best bet.

I do appreciate all the suggestions from you guys. However, i'm still undecided. Its seems like each place has some alluring factors which i still can't get over. Hakone seems great. Beautiful scenery of MJ and probably need to take a trip down from Toyko and stay overnight or something. Will have to plan later. As for Rijugien and Nanzenji Gardens, their beauty is overwhelming and seems so perfect for such an occasion. Yet the beauty of the night scenery of Odaiba.....Tokyo Tower is probably not suitable. Seems kinda old inside and would probably be way too crowded.. That has to be all from Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo right?

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:53 am

Any more comments from visitors to the country?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 2:16 am

SittingBull wrote:Any more comments from visitors to the country?

One last suggestion and a bit of a long shot - try to find a copy of the book 'This is Japan' by Colin Simpson he mentions a beautiful setting where he saw no other foreigners which might be appropriate as there would be nobody, hopefully to interrupt. However, this book is out of print and the author deceased and I don't know if where he mentioned (sorry can't remember myself :oops: ) would be as quite today since his travels were a long, long time ago.

Basically I think you need somewhere quiet and peaceful where you won't be disturbed by other foreigners asking questions or too much noise

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Sat, 28 Jun 2008 1:54 am

Plavt wrote:
SittingBull wrote:Any more comments from visitors to the country?

One last suggestion and a bit of a long shot - try to find a copy of the book 'This is Japan' by Colin Simpson he mentions a beautiful setting where he saw no other foreigners which might be appropriate as there would be nobody, hopefully to interrupt. However, this book is out of print and the author deceased and I don't know if where he mentioned (sorry can't remember myself :oops: ) would be as quite today since his travels were a long, long time ago.

Basically I think you need somewhere quiet and peaceful where you won't be disturbed by other foreigners asking questions or too much noise

Well, first of all, i wanna thank you cos you have been a great help. As for the place, i wouldn't really care if there are people around. Afterall, there is nothing embarassing. However, i do want to avoid crowded tourist infested areas. haha... I want somewhere beautiful and unforgetable, ambience and scenery and all. I'm asking for too much, and i know. However, it means so much for it to be perfect, or at least close to perfection. I am seriously considering getting a ride up from Tokyo to Hakone, stay over in a Ryokan or something, and maybe pop the question while admiring the scenery of M.Fuji of something. However, with so many different places to stay, and me having absolutely no idea of the country, and reading up on almost all the books in Borders, i still can't make up my mind. Probably, from the many responses i've got from the many forums, it basically boils down to Nanzenji and Rikugien, but since it closes pretty early, wouldn't it be weird to be doing it in the sunny daylight? Also, the likes of Tokyo Tower, Odaiba and Osaka Castle are so "passe"..

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 1:32 am

SittingBull wrote:
Basically, it boils down to these few places.

1) Tokyo Tower
2) Hakone
3) Kiyomizu dera Temple
4) Nanzenji
5) Osaka Castle
6) Rikugien Garden
7) Odaiba

Hmm... Not so sure Tokyo Tower is the best place. But then again, I haven't been there during the night, nor have I been on the upper-most viewing level so the ambience may be completely different to what I've experienced.

Odaiba... If I'm not mistaken, that's near Fuji tv station & rainbow bridge... mostly concrete and clay from what I've seen..

a small clip I took .. river cruise, which concluded at fuji tv station
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkfWUdnfIE

edit: actually, I've noticed there are much better clips on youtube than mine that will give you a much better picture of some of those places you've listed