Singapore Expats Forum

Most Romantic place in Japan?????

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

SittingBull

Most Romantic place in Japan?????

Postby SittingBull » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 2:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm going with my gf to Japan in a couple of months. Thing is, i've secretly been planning to propose, and where better than the place which she had always wanted to visit. We'll be dropping by Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo. It will be our first trip to the Land of the rising sun and i hope for suggestions on the most romantic places in Japan, so i can pop the question. Suggestions are appreciated.. As for now, the only places i know are Rikugien Garden, Osaka Castle :(

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 2:58 pm

Kyoto is only 15 minutes by bullet train from Osaka. I suggest you have a look for tourist information as there are lots of temples and gardens that may give you a romantic setting. A Japan rail-pass which you buy outside the country may be useful as that would give you more options.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 4:25 pm

Oh, that would have to be a nice Ryokan in Hakone. I spent a wonderful Christmas there, soaking in a lovely hot bath, the veranda doors open with a breathtaking view to Mount Fuji!

What a lovely idea of yours!

The ambiance and food and rooms were simply wonderful. I love Japan and the many things it has to offer.

Try this website: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/map/index.html
- Thank God for Darwin -

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:39 am

Not too sure if temples are the places for a romantic proposal to be honest. I'm sure there are many places i can enjoy as a tourist, and all these information are aplenty on the internet, or in forums. However, what i hope to get are suggestions of truly breathtaking and romantic places, which you guys had experienced. I think a proposal is a measure of a man's sincerity, and i really really wanna do a memorable one. Therefore, the venue is really important, and i appreciate all suggestions. Many thanks.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:55 am

on top of mount fuji.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 1:27 am

Do it the japanese way, should be fun to dress up in the traditional attire, at some lovely spot, Ask someone to help you out with the translation to Japanese, making sure, someone is around to translate for her, if she doesn't understand Japanese, I guess it would be quite a shock for her, if you do not speak the language...I can just visualise it now :wink:

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 6:36 am

ksl wrote:Do it the japanese way, should be fun to dress up in the traditional attire, at some lovely spot, Ask someone to help you out with the translation to Japanese, making sure, someone is around to translate for her, if she doesn't understand Japanese, I guess it would be quite a shock for her, if you do not speak the language...I can just visualise it now :wink:

I don't think that is a very good idea ksl; getting a kimono to fit could or would be a problem and in any case isn't appropriate for the occasison the Op is talking about. Besides I don't think Japanese will take too kindly to westerners who appear to be mocking their cutlure. :(

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 3:36 pm

durain wrote:on top of mount fuji.

Isn't that a bit over the top? :wink:

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 3:40 pm

ksl wrote:Do it the japanese way, should be fun to dress up in the traditional attire, at some lovely spot, Ask someone to help you out with the translation to Japanese, making sure, someone is around to translate for her, if she doesn't understand Japanese, I guess it would be quite a shock for her, if you do not speak the language...I can just visualise it now :wink:

Do you have something that i'm less likely to screw up ?? Like some castle, parks, etc.. By the way, how bout Tokyo Tower, at night? ANybody been there? Hows the ambience?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 3:50 pm

SittingBull wrote:

Do you have something that i'm less likely to screw up ?? Like some castle, parks, etc.. By the way, how bout Tokyo Tower, at night? ANybody been there? Hows the ambience?
Or some cable car restaurant!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 3:57 pm

Plavt wrote:

I don't think that is a very good idea ksl; getting a kimono to fit could or would be a problem and in any case isn't appropriate for the occasion the Op is talking about. Besides I don't think Japanese will take too kindly to westerners who appear to be mocking their culture. :(

You could be right, I know the Chinese do allow it, but the Japanese, not sure, I don't see it has mocking, more of preserving the tradition, and i can assure you, when westerners marry to Chinese and dress up in traditional attire, it is a serious affair, and by no means done for the fun of it. Even though the westerner may feel a little embarrassed. But I do understand the Japanese are very different indeed, when it comes to foreign guests.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 4:05 pm

Ksl might care to read this;

http://gojapan.about.com/cs/traditionculture/a/japanesewedding.htm

Sitting Bull, I would go along with CB's suggestion of Hakone. Top of Mountain Fuji? No way - let durain get some exercise. :P :lol:

SittingBull

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 4:11 pm

Plavt wrote:Ksl might care to read this;

Sitting Bull, I would go along with CB's suggestion of Hakone. Top of Mountain Fuji? No way - let durain get some exercise. :P :lol:

I'm in the midst of reading up on Hakone. Seems like a brilliant place with real natural beauty. Now i'm just thinking of how i can integrate visiting Hakone into my schedule, cos i'm starting with Osaka as the first stop. Hmmnn...

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 4:33 pm

I'd have to agree with Plavt on the kimono thingy, not so much on the offesive part but you need to know your fiance would actually go for that and not feel odd as that's how it would kinda be. There's a lot of culture surrounding it that you'd need to bone upon before embarking on that, it would hard to arrange, and quite difficult unless you spoke Japanese well. And expensive.

The idea of Tokyo Tower was about the only thing I was going to suggest when I saw this last night. They also have a big ferris wheel just outside the city near Tokyo Disneyland. Pretty nice there.

Japan is probably more romatic to a foreinger than those living there, many of whom would probably go somewhere like Europe or Hawaii or Bali for someplace romantic.

The onsen/ryokan idea in a place like Hakone or Kyoto is not a bad choice, either, though a bit on the reserved side. Don't get me wrong, I love those places but would not be my first choice to propose.

Fuji is beautiful from afar, but pretty ugly up close, as in on the mountain.

A nice place, however, is lake Kawaguchiko, which looks out on Mt. Fuji
http://tamara1beth2eslinstructors.com/K ... 20Fuji.jpg

You won't get much snow for the traditional Fuji view this time of year though, but it's still beautiful. What you can get from around now until mid-August are the summer festivals like the hanabi matsuri in any town if you like a traditional setting and to view fireworks the Japanese way. Very nice. That's one of the few places I'd wear a yukata as a foreinger.

Kanegawa on the west coast is also nice.

Good luck and have fun.
Last edited by EADG on Sun, 15 Jun 2008 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 4:37 pm

[quote="Plavt"]Ksl might care to read this;

Interesting not so much difference actually from a Chinese wedding apart from traditional attire, Taiwan is more western now, i believe! It was also nice that everyone came with brand new cash notes! There was more than enough cash to pay for the whole reception, when we had ours! Which was very nice!