Singapore Expats Forum

How and where to buy diamond rings?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

SittingBull
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu, 03 Apr 2008

How and where to buy diamond rings?

Postby SittingBull » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 2:29 pm

Hi, i am thinking of getting a diamond ring with the intention to propose. However, after reading up on everything on it, i'm kinda lost as to where to buy them from. The likes of LeeHwa, Sookee, Goldheart, Larry, D Meyson, etc are probably good in their own ways. However i am leaning towards either Larry or going to a non-branded organisation, so i'm at least getting my money worth. I'm hoping to spend less than $5000sgd and i know it's kinda limited. However, with the GSS, i heard that there could be discounts aplenty. Also, what should be my priority? Carat, clarity, cut or colour? Many thanks...

User avatar
cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat, 01 Sep 2007
Location: Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Home

Postby cutiebutie » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 4:38 pm

You could ask AussieNewToSing. :)
- Thank God for Darwin -

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:17 pm

first set a budget.

then educate yourself on the various types of diamonds online.

then head to an auction. bid on one you appreciate.

with the diamond in tow, bring it to an independent jeweler.

have it set the way you/your fiance likes it.

ta da! my wife has 2 engagement rings - the first one that she thought she lost was from tiffany's. the second one was done the above-mentioned way.

cheaper. looks the same as the tiffany (except on yellow gold). better diamond.

diamond prices are inflated dnd not always really worth what stores ask you to fork over.

just make sure it's a natural stone. you can substitute an auction with perhaps a dealer. you can find dealers at auctions.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35111
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:05 am

cutiebutie wrote:You could ask AussieNewToSing. :)


"Two wrongs doesn't make a right."

SittingBull
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu, 03 Apr 2008

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:34 am

taxico wrote:first set a budget.

then educate yourself on the various types of diamonds online.

then head to an auction. bid on one you appreciate.

with the diamond in tow, bring it to an independent jeweler.

have it set the way you/your fiance likes it.

ta da! my wife has 2 engagement rings - the first one that she thought she lost was from tiffany's. the second one was done the above-mentioned way.

cheaper. looks the same as the tiffany (except on yellow gold). better diamond.

diamond prices are inflated dnd not always really worth what stores ask you to fork over.

just make sure it's a natural stone. you can substitute an auction with perhaps a dealer. you can find dealers at auctions.




It seems like too much trouble. Quite honestly, i would rather get a ready-made ring, rather than purchase the diamond and have it set up with a jeweller. On that note and with my given budget, what would be the best option for me?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 1:46 am

SittingBull wrote:
taxico wrote:first set a budget.

then educate yourself on the various types of diamonds online.

then head to an auction. bid on one you appreciate.

with the diamond in tow, bring it to an independent jeweler.

have it set the way you/your fiance likes it.

ta da! my wife has 2 engagement rings - the first one that she thought she lost was from tiffany's. the second one was done the above-mentioned way.

cheaper. looks the same as the tiffany (except on yellow gold). better diamond.

diamond prices are inflated dnd not always really worth what stores ask you to fork over.

just make sure it's a natural stone. you can substitute an auction with perhaps a dealer. you can find dealers at auctions.




It seems like too much trouble. Quite honestly, i would rather get a ready-made ring, rather than purchase the diamond and have it set up with a jeweller. On that note and with my given budget, what would be the best option for me?


I would say the diamond centre on paya lebar road if it's still there, if you buy in the city, you will pay top whack, i'm sure, even with a discount! I think you may find a better deal if the centre is still open..it's after airport road on the left some place I think it is set back from the new MRT station, not sure.

I would most surely press for 50% off, you may end up with 35%, but also do a search on the internet and see, what you can expect for that price...with regards to the quality, then you have something in mind, to compare with.

Ring size may need adjustment, unless you know her size, may also take a week to do, be prepared.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:16 am

there's no way you'll get value for money without putting some work into it! but that's not what you're after, i guess.

when i bought my ring, i thought it was troublesome too! but when i did it at a later stage, we both felt it was worth it.

i guess KSL's right - head on over to that diamond center place. but be sure you scratch any nice car for me on the way out...

don't worry if you can't get your gf's ring size. you can have it resized later - ask the store they can do it for free or if you can bring it back to change for size for free.

if you can't, make sure you buy a ring that's bigger than what you can possibly perceive her finger to be so you don't pay for extra material. it's not expensive to get it done cos the jewelers tend to keep the trimmed portion.

SittingBull
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu, 03 Apr 2008

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 3:33 pm

After hearing from you guys, i guess it would be unwise to disregard suggestions of buying from a diamond centre, as kindly pointed out by KSL. Tbh, i have been reading up on so many forums, and made a trip down to the shop today. Larry has a .63ct, E. vs2 diamond for $4900 before 20percent discount, with an additional $800 for the ring. Another local jewellery store, GH, is offering me almost $5900 for a .7ct, E, vs2 diamond ring. Are these deals reasonable? Somehow i am more inclined towards Larry for its many good reviews from my friends. Also, whats with the 57facets? Is it good enough? Btw, both of them are brilliant cut and solitaires. Anybody been to D Meyson? Should i ever consider them?
Last edited by SittingBull on Sun, 15 Jun 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SittingBull
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu, 03 Apr 2008

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 3:35 pm

ksl wrote:
SittingBull wrote:
taxico wrote:first set a budget.

then educate yourself on the various types of diamonds online.

then head to an auction. bid on one you appreciate.

with the diamond in tow, bring it to an independent jeweler.

have it set the way you/your fiance likes it.

ta da! my wife has 2 engagement rings - the first one that she thought she lost was from tiffany's. the second one was done the above-mentioned way.

cheaper. looks the same as the tiffany (except on yellow gold). better diamond.

diamond prices are inflated dnd not always really worth what stores ask you to fork over.

just make sure it's a natural stone. you can substitute an auction with perhaps a dealer. you can find dealers at auctions.




It seems like too much trouble. Quite honestly, i would rather get a ready-made ring, rather than purchase the diamond and have it set up with a jeweller. On that note and with my given budget, what would be the best option for me?


I would say the diamond centre on paya lebar road if it's still there, if you buy in the city, you will pay top whack, i'm sure, even with a discount! I think you may find a better deal if the centre is still open..it's after airport road on the left some place I think it is set back from the new MRT station, not sure.

I would most surely press for 50% off, you may end up with 35%, but also do a search on the internet and see, what you can expect for that price...with regards to the quality, then you have something in mind, to compare with.

Ring size may need adjustment, unless you know her size, may also take a week to do, be prepared.



So you're saying i should get a diamond from the centre and have it setup with a jeweller? Getting directly from a diamond centre? Would it compromise in terms of the quality? Btw, do you have the name of the placE?

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 7:06 pm

i think the place is called diamond centre (or diamond soemthing).

they're also jewelery store so they do all your resizing stuff.

ive never been impressed by their diamonds - i shopped there before.

SittingBull
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu, 03 Apr 2008

Postby SittingBull » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:12 pm

taxico wrote:i think the place is called diamond centre (or diamond soemthing).

they're also jewelery store so they do all your resizing stuff.

ive never been impressed by their diamonds - i shopped there before.



I guess thats why most people go to shops like Larry, D Meyson to get them. At least it's a lot safer in terms of the 4Cs... btw, do you think the Larry's 0.63ct, E,vs2, is a good buy at 4.6k?

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:43 pm

buying diamond is a very subjective thing. you cant really put a price on it unless you get an independence diamond evaluator (for example for insurance purpose).

i suggest you go to as much shops as you can and try to compare a similar "like for like" size, clarity, grade, cut, etc.

Levikane
Regular
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat, 05 Jan 2008
Location: Tanjong Pagar by day, Bishan at night

Postby Levikane » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:17 pm

SittingBull wrote:It seems like too much trouble. Quite honestly, i would rather get a ready-made ring, rather than purchase the diamond and have it set up with a jeweller. On that note and with my given budget, what would be the best option for me?


Seriously? Are you going to apply the same luckluster attitude towards the rest of your relationship? If the effort of choosing the right diamond ring is too hard for you to bother, I dont have much faith in your relationship being succesful! Proposing is a big deal, you should take the time to get it right. Surely if you have been together long enough for you to propose you will know what kind of style and setting she prefers - dont get her any ring, get her the perfect ring...

A good website for educate yourself that isn't too taxing:
www.thediamondbuyingguide.com

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:46 pm

SittingBull wrote:After hearing from you guys, i guess it would be unwise to disregard suggestions of buying from a diamond centre, as kindly pointed out by KSL. Tbh, i have been reading up on so many forums, and made a trip down to the shop today. Larry has a .63ct, E. vs2 diamond for $4900 before 20percent discount, with an additional $800 for the ring. Another local jewellery store, GH, is offering me almost $5900 for a .7ct, E, vs2 diamond ring. Are these deals reasonable? Somehow i am more inclined towards Larry for its many good reviews from my friends. Also, whats with the 57facets? Is it good enough? Btw, both of them are brilliant cut and solitaires. Anybody been to D Meyson? Should i ever consider them?


Squeeze the discount, take cash...probably won't go through the books, who knows! 20% is only a starter, they love to bargain, the balls in your court, $$$ out, tell him you like this one, and the one you have been offered down the road, hold the cash in your hand, and watch them drool at the right time, not when you go in, and walk to the door, then come back, tell him your last offer or split the difference, you have nothing to lose, they have a lot to gain. If they are offering 20% you should be able to get another 10% but may have to get higher authority, only deal, with the person that can authorise the deal..salesman cannot, try the manager!
Last edited by ksl on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35111
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:53 am

Plavt. Right poster. Wrong thread! :?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests