Singapore Expats Forum

Smelly in the Air Conditioning

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

mcarolina

Smelly in the Air Conditioning

Postby mcarolina » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 1:57 pm

Hi!
I just want to know if you had experienced a foul smell with your air conditioning? and what do you use or do? Every time I turn on the AC from the living room it's a smelly for few minutes, like if it had a dead animal inside, every time that I had complained with the people from the AC they come and use a spray and the smelly is gone for few hours, Is the AC smelly normal happening here in Singapore? ths!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 2:41 pm

You've probably got fungal growth in the evaporator coil. You can try using something like Lysol yourself which should kill the fungus. If this doesn't work, the only real answer is to disassemble the unit to thoroughly clean it.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:50 pm

i honestly don't know what's wrong with your AC but smelling like a dead animal is just not right!

you should have them open the damn thing up and take everything out and have it wholly boiled for a while, i say!

or else you could buy a few crates of whatever spray it is they use, but either way you shouldn't have to put up with the smell.

tell them you want it cleaned out entirely. spraying's not gonna cut it. or else you're gonna complain.

a lil bird told me threatening to complain works pretty good.