Singapore Expats

From New York City Salary to Singapore Salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 8:10 am

I agree, that's all true.
Although thankfully I think all the wall street layoffs having been widely publicized so there's very few people that dont know about them. Companies I've interviewed at have had their share themselves so they are aware and sympathetic to the situations, and thankfully they are hiring in other areas.
I know being unemployed has its bads definitely, but how much can you hold it against someone who's had a steady and progressive long-term employment history at varied firms.
I still agree with all you've said, just trying to be optimistic for my own self :)
Thanks!
Cross your fingers I may be getting an SG and a NY offer very soon!!
Take care & fare well!

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:46 am

so i may be at a point where I have to discuss my salary expectations at SG.
can the simple answer be: "I'm open and flexible but I would like to stay at the level that I am at" or should I fall for the "money goes a much longer way here in SG so 50% of your old salary is the equivalent to staying at the same level" stuff? i think this is the end of the road anyways...

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:34 pm

maneo wrote:
stacey wrote:actually, I have to rephrase a little...
I agree with you that being currently unemployed makes you ever slightly less marketable, but a specific job/role opportunity would mostly never officially by limited to those with current employment. I;m not sure HR or recruites would think that way. They just want the best person for that role.
Yes or no?
Unfortunately, there is more than just being in a better negotiating position if you were employed.

People in hiring positions will be suspicious about why you are no longer employed.
First thought that will come to mind (before asking you) will be, "what's wrong with this person?"

Even if you can come up with a good excuse, some may have lingering suspicions.
This applies everywhere, not just SG.
Just the way it is.

In your case, it's too late to change the facts.
Hope the story is good.
Whatever it is, make it seem like a positive thing. :wink:
Good luck.

I have to strongly disagree with maneo as to you can't bargain because you not in a job. I have not been working before and when I went to interviews I said what my last salary was and what I would like now for my skills. It has always worked for both my husband and myself at different times. I have also never had to come up with an excuse as to why I was not working at the present time.
Maybe Sg is very different from the Uk or USA.
Lastly, if we come out to SG, I won't be working and when we return I will just tell future companies what I have been doing for my gap in emplyment.
Zeenit

fx8fx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by fx8fx » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:40 pm

Zeenit wrote:
maneo wrote:
stacey wrote:actually, I have to rephrase a little...
I agree with you that being currently unemployed makes you ever slightly less marketable, but a specific job/role opportunity would mostly never officially by limited to those with current employment. I;m not sure HR or recruites would think that way. They just want the best person for that role.
Yes or no?
Unfortunately, there is more than just being in a better negotiating position if you were employed.

People in hiring positions will be suspicious about why you are no longer employed.
First thought that will come to mind (before asking you) will be, "what's wrong with this person?"

Even if you can come up with a good excuse, some may have lingering suspicions.
This applies everywhere, not just SG.
Just the way it is.

In your case, it's too late to change the facts.
Hope the story is good.
Whatever it is, make it seem like a positive thing. :wink:
Good luck.

I have to strongly disagree with maneo as to you can't bargain because you not in a job. I have not been working before and when I went to interviews I said what my last salary was and what I would like now for my skills. It has always worked for both my husband and myself at different times. I have also never had to come up with an excuse as to why I was not working at the present time. Maybe Sg is very different from the Uk or USA.
Lastly, if we come out to SG, I won't be working and when we return I will just tell future companies what I have been doing for my gap in emplyment.
May I know what kind of job and salary range you are talking about ?

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:45 pm

Management Accountant and now a VAT Accountant for a Charity in the UK. Money is not important to disclose.
Zeenit

fx8fx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by fx8fx » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:53 pm

Zeenit wrote:Management Accountant and now a VAT Accountant for a Charity in the UK. Money is not important to disclose.
Pay is the key regarding 'you can't bargain because you not in a job. "

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:00 pm

As I said before I can and have successfully bargained , salary and perks. So I am aware of my value in the market at any time.
Thanks
Zeenit

fx8fx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by fx8fx » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:03 pm

Zeenit wrote:As I said before I can and have successfully bargained , salary and perks. So I am aware of my value in the market at any time.
Thanks
I do think 'you can't bargain because you not in a job. " if it's a 100k job .

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:40 am

I would also say pay range and/or level is key in terms of making a difference in the situation, sometime, not all the time maybe.

of course different people consider different levels good/great/excellent and may be at different stages and situations in their life.

some stages/levels/situations make it more difficult to negotiate or fare better than others.

so basically without specifics we can all just have a nice talk and speculate but not get detailed informed feedback...

I for one, did not disclose how much I make/made either :)
I used 200k as an example, but it is less. If 2008 was as good or better than 2006 it may have been, but its not :)

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sat, 28 Jun 2008 9:12 am

Zeenit wrote:
maneo wrote:Unfortunately, there is more than just being in a better negotiating position if you were employed.
I have to strongly disagree with maneo as to you can't bargain because you not in a job.
Did not say "you can't bargain."
Only stated that the negotiating position will be weaker.

A weaker position puts more reliance on bargaining and negotiating abilities, unless one's skills and experience are compelling.
You must have either those abilites or compelling experience for this to have gone easy for you.
Not everyone does have those.
Zeenit wrote:It has always worked for both my husband and myself at different times. I have also never had to come up with an excuse as to why I was not working at the present time.
Maybe Sg is very different from the Uk or USA.
Hiring in the US, in general, is no different.
Saw many unemployed colleagues experience difficulties.
I also have questioned unemployed interviewees myself.
A skillful interviewer can get the answers with being confrontational and maybe even without beng noticed.

For SG, it can be more expensive to hire an expat (extra allowances).
One tends to be more careful when making expensive acquisitions.

Anyway, it seems that you're only seeing one side of the picture, that of the person being hired.
Your case is more the exception than the rule.

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:05 pm

not being sarcastic, really, but can you explain to me the negatives of being unemployed, or of a person being unemployed (ie, what are the bad things, and or bad examples, etc) I can imagine a little.
But, if you're unemployed due to market conditions, other than weaker negotiation points, it doesnt make you a less desirable candidate does it, I mean in personal/individual terms.
a little lhelp?

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sat, 28 Jun 2008 8:18 pm

No reason to get worked up about the negatives.
You can't change your status at this point.

"Market conditions" suck, but unless everyone got laid off, the cynic might think, "why did he/she get laid off instead of someone else?"
It's not fair, but you should understand how your status can be misinterpteted and be prepared to counter that.

As I mentioned earlier, just prepare a reply that turns your status into a positive.
In whatever interview situation you manage to get (telephone, in person) every answer should count for something that makes them want to hire you.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

lthams

Finding a job

Post by lthams » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:23 am

Hi All,

I've been reading all the posts about relocating and finding a job in Singapore.

You obviously didn't read too carefully the bright orange sign while you were typing though did you. Which of the four words did you have a problem comprehending? "ADVERTISEMENTS WILL BE DELETED!!"