Singapore Expats

Need Advise on Relocation process - AUST- SING (with Family)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
rexwrx

Need Advise on Relocation process - AUST- SING (with Family)

Post by rexwrx » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 9:57 am

hi,
i'm about to be offered a role in a bank in Singapore and looking to relocate my family (one 3yo son and an expecting wife).

some things we need to consider:

1) would the employer cover the full cost of relocating - i.e. movers, freight forwarders as we will be moving a 3BR house (white goods excluded)?? Should I be expecting the employer to cover the full cost of this?

2) should I be expecting a 1 or 2 months free accomodation in a service aprt?

3) should i also be expecting full Business class tix for my family (one way)?

4) what about medical insurance for family? should that be included also?

5) we are thinking of living in the district 10 area (holland village and surroundings)

6) should we rent for first 2 years first prior to purchase??

7) lastly, what is a salary pay bracket for a project manager over in SG in a Bank?

Thanks all.

:???:

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 5:39 pm

what is on offer? just a job and nothing else? there's no standard as to what you will get when you relocate, it is what they are offering and what you can haggle out of them.

rexwrx

Post by rexwrx » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:08 am

sure, what's on offer is:

> base salary (it's a 2 year contract but 1 year is mandatory to stay and not move)

> plus one-month free accomodation on arrival

> plus one-way economy tix for family of 3 inclusive.

that's all. no cost of moving goods, no medical insurance. it's through a job agent.

question is also, do I nego w/ the agent or w/ the hiring co. straight-up?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 9:57 am

rexwrx wrote:sure, what's on offer is:

> base salary (it's a 2 year contract but 1 year is mandatory to stay and not move),

If its a bank you should also check how long the required "gardening leave" if you leave as this can drag on for months

> plus one-month free accommodation on arrival

Best to confirm budget as they can stick you in a squat, and make sure its a Service Apartment not a small hotel room. Ask for an option to extend if a no suitable place is found.

Ask for business class, if its long haul, and one set of family business class tickets a year for holidays.

that's all. no cost of moving goods, no medical insurance. it's through a job agent.

Get full company medical insurance and there is an option to upgrade for international cover ask for this.

Get them to cover the cost of the move both inbound and when you complete your stint outbound as well.

Best to neg direct with hiring co or at least cc them in correspondence, as there will always be delays and misinterpretation when a middle man is involved, the middle man will be trying to max out his profits on the transaction

Bottom line start ludicrously high, for two reason, its give the impression you are worth it, and then you have a bargaining point to a middle ground.

In the past I have often been surprised when an over the top compensation request has been accepted by a firm and you kind of kick your self for not being even dafter with your request.

Plenty of things you can ask for if you have to sell your car at home will they cover the loss. Will they provide transport in Singapore, schooling for kids, cost for a tax accountant in both home and singapore etc

rexwrx

Post by rexwrx » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:14 am

QRM, that's a very handy set of tips. thank you!

with regards to the business class tix for family for holiday, are you saying to ask for annual tix return to Australia? is that not too over the top?

i think schooling, and cost of transport are both out of the question, but i can always factor those into the base salary, no?

what's the cost of full medical insurance per annum in Singapore like? for a family of 4.

also, with all of these requests, do you think it'll put me out of the race?

:-| :-|

QRM wrote:
rexwrx wrote:sure, what's on offer is:

> base salary (it's a 2 year contract but 1 year is mandatory to stay and not move),

If its a bank you should also check how long the required "gardening leave" if you leave as this can drag on for months

> plus one-month free accommodation on arrival

Best to confirm budget as they can stick you in a squat, and make sure its a Service Apartment not a small hotel room. Ask for an option to extend if a no suitable place is found.

Ask for business class, if its long haul, and one set of family business class tickets a year for holidays.

Get full company medical insurance and there is an option to upgrade for international cover ask for this.

Get them to cover the cost of the move both inbound and when you complete your stint outbound as well.

Best to neg direct with hiring co or at least cc them in correspondence, as there will always be delays and misinterpretation when a middle man is involved, the middle man will be trying to max out his profits on the transaction

Bottom line start ludicrously high, for two reason, its give the impression you are worth it, and then you have a bargaining point to a middle ground.

In the past I have often been surprised when an over the top compensation request has been accepted by a firm and you kind of kick your self for not being even dafter with your request.

Plenty of things you can ask for if you have to sell your car at home will they cover the loss. Will they provide transport in Singapore, schooling for kids, cost for a tax accountant in both home and singapore etc

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:35 am

rexwrx wrote:QRM, that's a very handy set of tips. thank you!

with regards to the business class tix for family for holiday, are you saying to ask for annual tix return to Australia? is that not too over the top?

i think schooling, and cost of transport are both out of the question, but i can always factor those into the base salary, no?

what's the cost of full medical insurance per annum in Singapore like? for a family of 4.

also, with all of these requests, do you think it'll put me out of the race?

:-| :-|
If you sell yourself cheap now it will be a lot tougher to get what you want later.

No harm in asking for holiday tickets then you can negotiate to economy flights or your accountant cost instead

It’s a double edge sword, you are in the strongest negotiation position now, once you start work you will have bugger all say, especially once you sign the one year fixed contract.

You can argue being prudent now shows that you have your head screwed on and a good negotiator, depends on your role, if you are just going to be serving coffee and photocopying for the next two years then yes, a bit over the top, but if they really want you and you can increase the banks revenue by X millions then push it, if it doesn’t work out and you still have your current job its their loss. Why not try for another competing bank and see what they can offer.

NEVER sound desperate for a job they will wonder why. Especially in the banking world remember Mr. Gekkos words "Greed is good" :lol:

rexwrx

Post by rexwrx » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 5:56 pm

it is a double edge sword as i'm out of the race - they weren't flexible with the pay figure and the cost of relocation which in my mind is waaaay too low for my worth.

it's essentially less than 4% up fm my current role - not good enough.

oh well, back to the pool again. :(
yes u r correct in not being too desparate.

thanks so much for the tip.
QRM wrote: :-| :-|
If you sell yourself cheap now it will be a lot tougher to get what you want later.

No harm in asking for holiday tickets then you can negotiate to economy flights or your accountant cost instead

It’s a double edge sword, you are in the strongest negotiation position now, once you start work you will have bugger all say, especially once you sign the one year fixed contract.

You can argue being prudent now shows that you have your head screwed on and a good negotiator, depends on your role, if you are just going to be serving coffee and photocopying for the next two years then yes, a bit over the top, but if they really want you and you can increase the banks revenue by X millions then push it, if it doesn’t work out and you still have your current job its their loss. Why not try for another competing bank and see what they can offer.

NEVER sound desperate for a job they will wonder why. Especially in the banking world remember Mr. Gekkos words "Greed is good" :lol:[/quote]

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 6:34 pm

Never mind, if thats what they are like when they are trying to employ you. What will they be like once you start work.

I always believe when one door shuts another soon opens, best of luck

rexwrx

Post by rexwrx » Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:09 am

yah, wife is just saying that usually employers r flexible apparently not in this instance.

thanks for the encouragement - will be posting some more when i get to this stage again (being offered).
QRM wrote:Never mind, if thats what they are like when they are trying to employ you. What will they be like once you start work.

I always believe when one door shuts another soon opens, best of luck