Singapore Expats

bereavement leave for domestic helpers

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sngsingapore

bereavement leave for domestic helpers

Post by sngsingapore » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:58 pm

What do others see as fair practice for paid bereavement leave for domestic helpers? My helper, who has been with us for 7months, found out her grandfather has died and she wants to go home for 2 weeks. I am tending towards giving her one week paid home leave - sound reasonable?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:29 pm

Don't know about bereavement leave per se, but make sure you count relatives as it would seems that domestics have lots of deaths in the family.

Caveat emptor.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Iskandar

Post by Iskandar » Sat, 07 Jun 2008 8:40 am

Not too sure of that but in Singaporeans, it is one day and it is called compassionate leave and it is only applicable for immediate family, that is Parents, siblings and spouse. But of course, some companies give mare than that.

As a guide, two days for flight to and from home, 3 days to settle things should be fair enough.

Universalea

Post by Universalea » Thu, 12 Jun 2008 5:42 pm

Hi, at least 3 - 5 working days for them to fly back. Employer will have to pay for the 2 way air tickets for their maid.
Universal Employment Agency
304 Orchard Road
#03-52 Lucky Plaza
Spore 238863
O:67353456
F:67352977
E:[email protected]