Where do I get a 'helpers' bed from??

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
Mayfox
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 9:48 pm

Where do I get a 'helpers' bed from??

Post by Mayfox » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 9:54 pm

Hello there

I was wondering if anyone had good advice on where i can source a bed for our helper who is starting soon. I would like to get one of the high bunk style beds, so there will be storage etc underneath.

As per usual the room is a little short (why do they design like that????), so we can not seem to fit a normal size single.

If anyone knows of where I can go, or who I can contact, or has one to sell I would be glad to hear from you.

Regards


:D :D

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by durain » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:15 pm

courts? ikea?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:06 am

You need 5 post before you can PM. My daughter want's rid of hers, I can probably deliver too, if the vans available!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39647
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Where do I get a 'helpers' bed from??

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:20 am

Mayfox wrote:Hello there

I was wondering if anyone had good advice on where i can source a bed for our helper who is starting soon. I would like to get one of the high bunk style beds, so there will be storage etc underneath.

As per usual the room is a little short (why do they design like that????), so we can not seem to fit a normal size single.

If anyone knows of where I can go, or who I can contact, or has one to sell I would be glad to hear from you.

Regards


:D :D
Does the "Helpers" Room even have a window? Or are you doing what a lot of locals do and planning on putting her in the utility room or bomb shelter? If it was designed as a bedroom it would fit a standard (asian) sized single bed (asian beds are on average 6" shorter than the western ones. The fact is, your real estate agent may well have marketed it as a "maids" room in order to make what looks like an additional bedroom. Look at the plot plans to see what it was actually designed for.

Architects don't design proper bedrooms to small to hold a standard bed. It's the real estate agents trying to make a quick but by selling/renting you something by passing it off as something else.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Nassim hill

Post by QRM » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:24 am

We had to make one, get some local builder to knock one up. We had a bunk bed with desk, storage, under the bed.

Mayfox
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 9:48 pm

Post by Mayfox » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:49 pm

ksl wrote:You need 5 post before you can PM. My daughter want's rid of hers, I can probably deliver too, if the vans available!
Hello

What are the dimensions of the bed ? Is it a Bunk style? How much is the bed?

Kind regards

Mayfox
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 9:48 pm

Post by Mayfox » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 1:59 pm

QRM wrote:We had to make one, get some local builder to knock one up. We had a bunk bed with desk, storage, under the bed.
It is a proper room with a window overlooking a nice green garden, so the room itself is quite nice. I didn't realise that Asian beds were smaller - perhaps I will look into that and try and find a local builder.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39647
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 3:29 pm

Mayfox,

If you have recently arrived with furnishings then I hope you brought bed linens with you as well. You CAN find Western sized bed linen here but the selection is very, very small & limited and rather expensive comparatively speaking.

Here another alternative as well
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic49456.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Nassim hill

Post by QRM » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 4:36 pm

Mayfox wrote:
QRM wrote:We had to make one, get some local builder to knock one up. We had a bunk bed with desk, storage, under the bed.
It is a proper room with a window overlooking a nice green garden, so the room itself is quite nice. I didn't realise that Asian beds were smaller - perhaps I will look into that and try and find a local builder.
We used these guys they are actually furniture makers, and was recomended by the crown relocation bunch that did our move. They also made the matress

Mr Soh
China woodcraft
tel 6482 5022

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:42 am

Mayfox wrote:
QRM wrote:We had to make one, get some local builder to knock one up. We had a bunk bed with desk, storage, under the bed.
It is a proper room with a window overlooking a nice green garden, so the room itself is quite nice. I didn't realise that Asian beds were smaller - perhaps I will look into that and try and find a local builder.
Size is 74 inches by 39 inches, the bunk can be adjusted to three hights it was purchased here in Singapore but my daughter prefers the double bed! Not allowed to talk buy & sell on the forum, but you can PM when you have 5 posts.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests